Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

South Carolinians: A hat for Charleston in mid-May?

David Conwill

Call Me a Cab
I've only been to Charleston once, and that was in July - definitely Panama Hat weather. Now I'm going back, on the weekend of May 17. I'm flying this time, so my luggage must be limited. I'm not sure what hat I should wear on this trip, because I'm not sure what the weather is like down there at that time of year. My choices are between my trusty gray felt Dobbs or a cheap-but-cheerful "Gilligan" bucket hat. I'm going to a 50th Anniversary party for my wife's grandparents, but based on my father-in-law wondering aloud whether he should wear a shirt with sleeves or not, I don't believe this is a particularly formal affair. :)

Any help would be appreciated.

-Dave

JupitersDarling

One of the Regulars
Daytime Mid-may in a wool hat might be chancy. Unless it's cloudy and gray, it'll probably be a bit toasty (highs can go into lower 80's), even in may.

carldelo

One Too Many
I'd probably pack the bucket and wear the felt on the plane. But then I have a morbid fear of showing up at an event and finding that I'm underdressed. Then if I found my felt was too hot, I'd use that as an excuse to go shopping for a more appropriate hat. I bought my nice Panama that way on a trip to Atlanta one hot July. It's a nice way to get a souvenir, and it sounds like you need a straw anyway. But hey, I like to buy clothes, your mileage may vary...

Lucky Luke

New in Town
I grew up in Savannah, a sister city to Charleston. Expect hot and muggy. Felt would be out of the question for me, I like the idea of souvenir shopping, inevitably there will be something there.
Charleston is very historic, enjoy the south.

RockBottom

One of the Regulars
One of these is always appropriate.

FF_153478_l.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot