Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Southern New Years 2010

Foofoogal

Banned
Blackeyes for pennies, cabbage for greenbacks, and cornbread for Gold.
Yummy. I used sausage but usually pork roast or ribs.

IMG_5436.jpg

IMG_5437.jpg

funneman

Practically Family
Boy you're really taking me back to my roots with that plate.

I've brought in many a New Year in front of a plate just like that.

Yum!

Foofoogal

Banned
Well thank you. As number 9 of 11 children I learned how to cook from my mother. I honestly do not hardly know how to use a recipe. Just put it all together. It is yummy but easy.
-------------------
Cabbage and Sausage
1 head of cabbage cut up in wedges in covered dutch oven pot.
Salt, pepper, garlic to taste. I use garlic pwdr.
Cut up sausage and put on top. Water about 1/2 inch in pot to not stick.
Cook away till tender.

Blackeyes
1 lb. bag covered with water slow cook over medium heat checking to if and when to add more water with a few pieces of sausage to taste.
Salt, pepper, onion medley mix ( I cheat with frozen)

Make cornbread and done.

High Pockets

Practically Family
:D Wouldn't dream of New Year's Day without Blackeyed Peas!

Boiled down a ham-vegetable stock yesterday evening and soaked the peas overnight, got up early and oven baked a pot of 'em first thing this morning!

Yummy!:D

"Skeet" McD

Practically Family
Well...born-and-bred Yankee that I am....that's a new tradition on me, and it looks delicious! I'm sure, though...the only way to truly experience it is in the home of a true Southerner; perhaps some New-Year I'll have the chance! Say: do folks still shoot guns on new-year's eve?

On a practical note....what sort of sausage do you use; do you brown it, or just boil it?

Happy New-Year!
"Skeet"

Foofoogal

Banned
well that is a bit of a problem Skeet. Seems hard to find good sausage in AR. One disappointing thing to me.
I just throw it all in and boil slowly but sometimes brown first with the onions. I do that with the pork chops if I use that. You can use ham also.
Eckermann or Burton sausage in Texas was what I used to use.
http://www.eckermannsmeatmarket.com/
http://www.burtonsausage.com/
As long as you find some sausage that has some meat in them you will be ok.
To get the sort of caramelized taste is much better.
Like I said I play it all by mood when I cook.
Pinch of this, dash of that.

High Pockets

Practically Family
[QUOTE="Skeet" McD]Well...born-and-bred Yankee that I am....that's a new tradition on me, and it looks delicious! I'm sure, though...the only way to truly experience it is in the home of a true Southerner; perhaps some New-Year I'll have the chance! Say: do folks still shoot guns on new-year's eve?

On a practical note....what sort of sausage do you use; do you brown it, or just boil it?

Happy New-Year!
"Skeet"[/QUOTE]

:D Most folks around here wouldn't dream of venturing of into a new year without first having secured good luck via a healthy serving of Black Eyed Peas on New Years Day!

And of course we shoot guns off at midnight on New Years,......because we still CAN!:D

Posted last night as the clock struck twelve:
High Pockets said:
Amen,.......when I was a kid in New York most of the books I read were old books my grandmother would buy at Rummage Sales. They had a wonderful distinct smell to them,.....a smell that I dearly love.

Dang it's New Years, I hear the guns going off! (I live in the country)

Happy New Year to everyone!!

Wally_Hood

One Too Many
Black-eyed peas, cornbread, cabbabge-

Tho' I'm California born and bred, both my Mother and Dad were from Oklahoma, with branches traced back to Arkansas, which means this food was what I grew up on. Man, oh, man, does it look good!

I still on occasion make my own cornbread from my Mother's reciepe...

squirrel_leigh

New in Town
It was Hoppin John and collards in my house, can't beat it! The hoppin john was slow cooked in a dutch oven with plenty of bacon and ham, I just adore the dish and it makes eating for luck and money better than the money itself.

Retro Grouch

One of the Regulars
Black eyed peas were manatory on New Years. In my youth, some bars would give out a small bowl of 'em with the first drink. This was to insure good luck.

I have maintained the tradition but in the form of a Hoppin' John. I am of the belief that cabbage and pennies are a northern plot and should not be taken with a grain of salt. lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy