Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Speaking of "Mistress": Why Older Women Are Better

PrettySquareGal

I'll Lock Up
Old Mistresses Apologue - by Benjamin Franklin
June 25, 1745

My dear Friend,
"... in all your Amours you should prefer old Women to young ones. You call this a Paradox, and demand my reasons. They are these:

1. Because as they have more Knowledge of the World and their Minds are better stor’d with Observations, their Conversation is more improving and more lastingly agreeable.
2. Because when Women cease to be handsome, they study to be good. To maintain their Influence over Men, they supply the Diminution of Beauty by an Augmentation of Utility. They learn to do a 1000 Services small and great, and are the most tender and useful of all Friends when you are sick. Thus they continue amiable. And hence there is hardly such a thing to be found as an old Woman who is not a good Woman.
3. Because there is no hazard of Children, which irregularly produc’d may be attended with much Inconvenience.
4. Because thro’ more Experience, they are more prudent and discreet in conducting an Intrigue to prevent Suspicion. The Commerce with them is therefore safer with regard to your Reputation. And with regard to theirs, if the Affair should happen to be known, considerate People might be rather inclin’d to excuse an old Woman who would kindly take care of a young Man, form his Manners by her good Counsels, and prevent his ruining his Health and Fortune among mercenary Prostitutes.
5. Because in every Animal that walks upright, the Deficiency of the Fluids that fill the Muscles appears first in the highest Part: The Face first grows lank and wrinkled; then the Neck; then the Breast and Arms; the lower Parts continuing to the last as plump as ever: So that covering all above with a Basket, and regarding only what is below the Girdle, it is impossible of two Women to know an old from a young one. And as in the dark all Cats are grey, the Pleasure of corporal Enjoyment with an Old Woman is at least equal, and frequently superior, every Knack being by Practice capable of Improvement.
6. Because the Sin is less. The debauching a Virgin may be her Ruin, and make her for Life unhappy.
7. Because the Compunction is less. The having made a young Girl miserable may give you frequent bitter Reflections; none of which can attend the making an old Woman happy.
8[thly and Lastly] They are so grateful!!

Thus much for my Paradox. But still I advise you to marry directly; being sincerely Your affectionate Friend."

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Also

There's a Benny Hill song along these lines.

Personally, All women with whom I have had relationships have been older than I save one, and that was a disaster.

I think that at the time Dr. Franklin wrote these sentiments, he himself could not have followed his own advice, unless he happened upon a woman of 108.

Mad Molly

New in Town
"Poor Richard's Gal-manac?"

scotrace said:
There's a Benny Hill song along these lines.

Personally, All women with whom I have had relationships have been older than I save one, and that was a disaster.

I think that at the time Dr. Franklin wrote these sentiments, he himself could not have followed his own advice, unless he happened upon a woman of 108.

lol

Good point...but still, whether the ol' rascal meant it all from the heart or not...I just love this Franklin classic!

Hannigan Reilly

One of the Regulars
*has the "older woman" fetish.* (Is that a fetish?)

Ben was certainly, er, candid. :eek:

Country song by Ronnie McDowall:

OLDER WOMEN

(Verse)
Everybody seems to love those younger women
From eighteen on up to twenty-five
Well I love 'em too, but I'm tellin' you
Learnin' how to really love, takes a little time.

Benny Holiday

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I was thinking of Wynonie Harris' "Young Man Blues"

[Edit by Benny Holiday]

For those who are familiar with the song, Wynonie Harris had
some 'interesting' reasons for being involved with an older woman.

Story

I'll Lock Up
3-thumbup2.gif

Story

I'll Lock Up
jamespowers said:
Scotrace, you are completely right. Franklin was a notorious skirt chaser of YOUNGER women. This was especially true of his days in France---while the old codger was married.

Considering Franklin's age when he was a diplomat, I think the 'younger' factor was academic. It was more a case of them being willing and able, in Benny's case. :p

Story said:
Considering Franklin's age when he was a diplomat, I think the 'younger' factor was academic. It was more a case of them being willing and able, in Benny's case. :p

Yep, the old sot(82 if my memory suffices). One would think you know better at such an age. :rolleyes: :eusa_doh: Then again, my grandmother had a saying: "once an adult twice a child." :D

Regards,

J

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
There are things gained with age. I've had my share of relations with older women and younger, and the older above all else are past games and adolescent hangups. They have lived the terrible relationship stories and have a tempered sense of taking things as they come rather than making rash decisions. This is not true in all cases, some people just don't learn from their past and age doesn't always make you wiser. I tend to now stay away from the young ones who say they know and get closer to the older ones that say they don't know. The younger ones that say they know will turn into the older ones that don't know soon enough... then they are ripe for the kissing.

I seem to attract the older gals, I don't know what it is. I don't feel more mature than I am, I was jokingly reffered to a s a midget when I was a small child and I had a knack for speaking with the adults and at their level, though I think my ability has caught up with my size. I guess I hold a mystique for the older ladies. My friends are starting to ban me from going out with ladies older than I as they see a pattern and they want me to have a family (and i do want to have a family and a wife of my age or near).

With the older ladies, I just think it's them being more past the games and me getting fun insight into what their younger fems are still doing to sabatage themselves, and they do sabatage themselves and eachother. See the movie Mean Girls, it'a ll true!

I do draw the line at a certain age, maturity has it's benefits... one of them being understanding and a better grasp on that thing called comprehension

jake431

Practically Family
If nothing else, given differing life expectancy between men and women, you might die after her, which would be novel. Although, a favorite statistic my Mom loves to quote is that married Men live 7 years longer, on average, than single Men, and yet single Women live 7 years longer than married Women.

-Jake

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
"Women are most fascinating between the ages of 35 and 40 after they have won a few races and know how to pace themselves. Since few women ever pass 40, maximum fascination can continue indefinitely." -Christian Dior

Jack Scorpion

One Too Many
jake431 said:
If nothing else, given differing life expectancy between men and women, you might die after her, which would be novel. Although, a favorite statistic my Mom loves to quote is that married Men live 7 years longer, on average, than single Men, and yet single Women live 7 years longer than married Women.

-Jake

That last part true? I've been told being married increases life expectancy for both sexes.

jake431

Practically Family
Jack Scorpion said:
That last part true? I've been told being married increases life expectancy for both sexes.

I'll have to ask my Mom about the source of her factoid. I'm sure it's one of those "facts" that you can find data to support any conclusion. But, I'll check into it.

-Jake

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo