Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Speaking Of The Loungers...

CharlieH.

One Too Many
Here's a pretty odd interrogative I like to pose in whatever internet forum I contaminate with my presence -

What do you folks sound like?

Everytime I see someone's avatar, I quickly imagine a voice to go with the face when reading a post... well, just reading a post does that.

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Zach R. said:
Slightly southern.

I've been working on getting rid of my drawl, and its usually imperceptible, but sometimes I lapse and it rears its head.:p

lol
Mine slips out when Im really talkin.
Ive been told my voice is slightly deep, womanly, not high like a 12 year old girl. I guess thats good.

LD

Spatterdash

A-List Customer
I've been told by a number of people I sound like the late Phil Hartman's normal speaking voice.

I suppose I should be flattered.

Rosie

One Too Many
To me, I sound like a chirping bird but, I've been told I have a really nice voice, sultry, womanly and, I'm told I speak my words very clearly you know, for a New (Yawk)Yorker.

Novella

Practically Family
Now I'm curious - what voice pops into your head if you read a post of mine?

I *love* regional accents, probably because I find them a lot more interesting than the standard TV American voice. I have a not-too-exciting California/bland TV/non-accent. I hate to say non-accent but I can't think of another way to put it, as I don't want to just say Californian because that makes me think of the valley girl voice which is not really me. I feel like my voice is deep-ish, but then I listen to a recording of myself and I realize that I definitely don't have anything near a deep sultry voice. I'm not Minnie Mouse, but I'm definitely no Bacall either. Actually, I'm not sure how to describe my voice, I think it would be better for someone else who's heard me to describe it! Way to not really answer your question, eh?

Here's a question:
Do you talk in the manner you write your posts?
(For example, I don't think I would say "eh?" but I just ended a sentence with it in this post!)

CharlieH.

One Too Many
LolitaHaze said:
Annoying... like a gnat in your ear. [huh]

It can't be that bad!

Guess I should answer my own question now - I think my voice can be best described as one loud smooth quack with an occassional british or spanish accent. Plus a fair share of Mr. Bean-like mumbling.

CharlieH.

One Too Many
Novella said:
Now I'm curious - what voice pops into your head if you read a post of mine?

One that was heard on an ad for eharmony on Live 365. Some gal named Dawn.

Novella said:
Here's a question:
Do you talk in the manner you write your posts?
(For example, I don't think I would say "eh?" but I just ended a sentence with it in this post!)

Not really. I tend to be more fluid.

Lauren

Distinguished Service Award
Quiet, annoying, little girlish, and very surfer-ish if I get really excited or pissed off. And I laugh REALLY loud if I'm highly amused.

Matthew Dalton

A-List Customer
When I was over in the US recently most people figured we were Canadians by our voices.

I guess my voice is sort of average in terms of deepness for a man, and I'm told it "booms" and everyone can hear it in some situations when I'm not even trying to shout. But I also have a tendancy to trail-off and mumble in a conversation too.

I'm not sure if I still have it, but for a while lots of people were asking me if I was born in the US because of a slight accent I had. I'm guessing it was residual from my trip, but I still had it years later.

I hate the sound of my voice played back to me.

magneto

Practically Family
Lauren Henline said:
Quiet, annoying, little girlish[...]

I can't imagine your voice being annoying! :) Now, I'm annoying!
(...stuffy Minnie Mouse monotone with spells of excited mumbling, genus Californian.) Any and all donations towards elecution lessons are gratefully accepted.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Dennis Miller

I receive this assessment ad nauseam but it seems to be more for content than cadence and intonation. People in the news biz have commented that I have the preferred newscaster voice, that is, absent of any discernible regional accent.

Shaul-Ike Cohen

One Too Many
Accent: last outside assessment, volunteered by an Irishman, was Londoner, non-cockney
Pitch: bass-bariton
Speed: too high
Volume: medium/bit too low

Slightly throated, not because of booze and smoke, but a secondary effect of nasal polyps probably. No nasal pronunciation, though.

Fleur De Guerre

Call Me a Cab
I also talk loudly when excited and have a generic southern English accent, which I am told sounds "like I'm from London" by americans. I went to private school as a child and was always rather posh until I started rebelling at 15-16 and lost it all. When I told my colleagues I went to private school they were surprised, which I have taken to be a bad thing and am now working on improving my accent slightly! I do have a very posh phone and interview voice though. lol

"Doc" Devereux

One Too Many
I don't have an accent, I'm British! lol

Now Magneto, repeat after me: "The rain in Spain..."

Seriously, my voice shifts around depending on where I am and who I'm with but always has the touch of cigarettes and whisy behind it. Unless I'm angry, in which case I'm so clipped and cut glass that Noel Coward would sound like a cockney drawl. The vocabulary has been accrued (though some might say it has accreted) from all sorts ofplaces all over the world, and I speak a small amount of a surprising number of cants.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Buhles