Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Spectator Shoes

herringbonekid

I'll Lock Up
Prada's men's shoes are made in Italy (they have a massive facility in Montegranaro) and Northampton at the Church's factory which they have expanded after taking control some years ago.

thanks for that info A.C. i hadn't heard about Prada's acquisition of Church's. perhaps that explains how they can put out a shoe (bottom) that looks almost identical to Church's 'Shanghai' (top) without worrying about accusations of plagiarism:

church_prada.jpg

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
They also had control of Joseph Cheaney, until two members of the Church family broke away and purchased Joseph Cheaney! So now Cheaney's run by the Church family, who were formerly their biggest rival. Strange world.

herringbonekid

I'll Lock Up
TT, when i first saw the Shanghai shoe i was amazed that conservative old Church's would have done such a distressed shoe. knowing that Prada were probably involved makes sense now.
(not that i'm saying i don't like that shoe... i do).

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
(not that i'm saying i don't like that shoe... i do).
Yeah, Prada make lots of great looking shoes albeit a tad over-priced. Though they can be had at seasonal clearance sales at substantial discount. They look a lot better at 50% off......

Isshinryu101

One Too Many
Prada's men's shoes are made in Italy (they have a massive facility in Montegranaro) and Northampton at the Church's factory which they have expanded after taking control some years ago.

can't say where this particular pair came from. I DO know that many of Prada's shoes are made in Asian factories.

Isshinryu101

One Too Many
thanks for that info A.C. i hadn't heard about Prada's acquisition of Church's. perhaps that explains how they can put out a shoe (bottom) that looks almost identical to Church's 'Shanghai' (top) without worrying about accusations of plagiarism:

church_prada.jpg

There is no "plagiarism" in fashion. One brand comes up with a design, and if it is popular, every other designer makes a very similar copy.

herringbonekid

I'll Lock Up
There is no "plagiarism" in fashion. One brand comes up with a design, and if it is popular, every other designer makes a very similar copy.

i disagree. there is 'drawing inspiration from' and there is blatant copying, whether it's fashion or any other design field. the point i was making about the above shoes is that they are clearly drawn from the Church's Shanghai. had i not known that Prada owned Church's i would call it copying. since i now know that Prada actually own Church's i would bet that the Shanghai was their idea to begin with.

herringbonekid

I'll Lock Up
"That Northampton factory, which employs about 400 people, has been modernised. And as well applying the formula of international retail to a stolid British shoemaker, Prada have given it a fashion patina. This summer, it opened a women's shoe shop just down the road from the men's flagship on Bond Street.
Three years ago, it dug around in the Church's archive and found magnificent, 1929 two-tone brogues - with unnecessary tassels. This they whisked back to Milan, and set about recreating. Now the Italian-made Church's Shanghai shoe - which comes in at £530 - is one of its most in-demand lines."

;)

Isshinryu101

One Too Many
i disagree. there is 'drawing inspiration from' and there is blatant copying, whether it's fashion or any other design field. the point i was making about the above shoes is that they are clearly drawn from the Church's Shanghai. had i not known that Prada owned Church's i would call it copying. since i now know that Prada actually own Church's i would bet that the Shanghai was their idea to begin with.

Everyone does the "blatant copying".

In your example, the buckle is different, as is the cut of the shoes (church is lower profile), the position of kiltie, style of medalion, and the distress work. This is actually less of a "blatant copy" than many other examples.

Isshinryu101

One Too Many
How DO you come by that info? Just curious......I could probably see their rubber soles sport shoes being made in Asia but not their dress shoes.

why would that be surprising? Prada shoe buyers are purchasing the brand name. There is no track record of quality shoemaking associated with Prada. For top quality, go elsewhere. They are at the "cutting edge" of whatever is hot fashion-wise. This costs MUCH more money than true quality (at least now).

ALSO, keep in mind the shoe-making landscape is changing. There are a LOT of pretty good Asian makers who are venturing out to try to challenge the higher end UK makers. Their prices are often much lower, while the quality of materials and construction is getting better and better.

I try to stay in contact with shoe lovers of all kinds. I personally favor handmade Italian Norvegese & Bentivegna stitched shoes (for modern), and 1930's- 1950's US shoes. To keep up with the other brands, I rely on others I know who purchase the other brands and types. I like to compare notes later in order to get a good impression of what the shoe industry is as a whole.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lindawalters