Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Spectator Shoes

LoveMyHats2

I’ll Lock Up.
All my Black and White shoes are vintage NOS when I first purchased them, the B&W wing tips are vintage Bostonian (1960's), B&W Lace up Continental style shoes with dressy tassle laces are from 1980's, made in Italy, the B&W Continentals are NOS Florshiem, (1970's), the medium tan wing tips are NOS vintage Dexter, (1960's), and the Two toned medium tan and canvas wingtips are from J. Peterman Co., they were pre owned but never worn, prior owner stated he owned them for about 8 years and sold them to me, unworn. I do own other non vintage type of dress shoes that actually are vintage, E.T. Wright and Cole Hann and perhaps some 25 other pairs of dress and casual shoes. However these are the more "vintage" shoes that I wear for their style.

Last edited:

Isshinryu101

One Too Many
Whateer you do, never put a liquid white on suede or neubuck or even calf. It will not give satisfactory results in the first place, and may well have some vintage afficionado 50 years from now trying to remove it and cursing you.

this is the case with over 90% of vintage suede Specs.

Isshinryu101

One Too Many
All my Black and White shoes are vintage NOS when I first purchased them, the B&W wing tips are vintage Bostonian (1960's), B&W Lace up Continental style shoes with dressy tassle laces are from 1980's, made in Italy, the B&W Continentals are NOS Florshiem, (1970's), the medium tan wing tips are NOS vintage Dexter, (1960's), and the Two toned medium tan and canvas wingtips are from J. Peterman Co., they were pre owned but never worn, prior owner stated he owned them for about 8 years and sold them to me, unworn. I do own other non vintage type of dress shoes that actually are vintage, E.T. Wright and Cole Hann and perhaps some 25 other pairs of dress and casual shoes. However these are the more "vintage" shoes that I wear for their style.

you are a Good Vintage Man! I appreciate your shoe-buying philosophy

Last edited:

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
OK, this is what I get for recommending something I had not tied myself yet. After making that post about Lincoln's cream, I thought I'd attack my spactators and white bucks. I cleaned them both off with the eraser, but there were still some scuffs on the bucks. I then applied the Lincoln's, and I think I got a little carried away. The result was that while they look very nice, there's a lot of white poweder flaking off. So . . . I'm thinking that maybe I'll brush them off, and if necessary clean then with saddle soap, as recommended above.

LoveMyHats2

I’ll Lock Up.
you are a Good Vintage Man! I appreciate your shoe-buying philosophy

Common sense guides most of what I look for, I ask many questions if I cannot pick up a pair of shoes before I pay for them, (i.e. eBay purchase, etc.), ask how do the shoes weigh, how stiff or any deep cracks or issues with the leather, and are the soles really leather or some plastic that is made to appear like leather? Good shoes have weight to them. Light weight shoes are gonna take a nose dive on you if you wear them very much. Why spend the money on junk? Many very sharp pairs of shoes are posted on the lounge here or on the show us your shoes thread....finding them in the size that fits you is the magic key we are all looking for, but looking will always turn something worth while to own. Few shoes that are less then maybe priced at $250.00 brand new are made anywhere near what shoes were made in the 1960's, quality wise. Some shoes regardless of a brand name were very well made "back in the day". I never discount buying a shoe on one name over another, just look at the shoe, find out if it is well made, does it have weight, issues with it, and does it look like a shoe you want to wear? Most important part of any transaction, ask a lot of questions so you know what you are buying.

LoveMyHats2

I’ll Lock Up.
OK, this is what I get for recommending something I had not tied myself yet. After making that post about Lincoln's cream, I thought I'd attack my spactators and white bucks. I cleaned them both off with the eraser, but there were still some scuffs on the bucks. I then applied the Lincoln's, and I think I got a little carried away. The result was that while they look very nice, there's a lot of white poweder flaking off. So . . . I'm thinking that maybe I'll brush them off, and if necessary clean then with saddle soap, as recommended above.

There is some decent cleaners for a suede shoe, be it white or any other color, I just do not recall who makes it? Not made by "kiwi" or any normal used products, and when I see the word, "bucks", I think you are saying buckskin which is about the same as a suede leather. I know the shoe shop where I have shoes repaired has this product, I will look into it and let you know what brand it is. The repairman there is old school cobbler that can actually make a pair of shoes if you bring him the lasts to use. Knows leather repair, cleaning and what NOT to do to leather. Each time I have had him do anything to shoes for me, he always hands them back to me looking great. When I have a shoe issue, he is the expert. His Father started his business in the early 1930's and when his Father passed, the business was taken over by the Son, whom has worked there since about 1960. They have all the older model sewing machines and the machines that make everything you can think of for shoes, soles, and any leather repairs, dyes, cleaning. Part of his ethics is to return a pair of shoes in top conditioned leather wise and well polished. I have a pair of shoes to pick up from him this weekend and will post here what he did to them, simply amazing.

cookie

I'll Lock Up
There is some decent cleaners for a suede shoe, be it white or any other color, I just do not recall who makes it? Not made by "kiwi" or any normal used products, and when I see the word, "bucks", I think you are saying buckskin which is about the same as a suede leather. I know the shoe shop where I have shoes repaired has this product, I will look into it and let you know what brand it is. The repairman there is old school cobbler that can actually make a pair of shoes if you bring him the lasts to use. Knows leather repair, cleaning and what NOT to do to leather. Each time I have had him do anything to shoes for me, he always hands them back to me looking great. When I have a shoe issue, he is the expert. His Father started his business in the early 1930's and when his Father passed, the business was taken over by the Son, whom has worked there since about 1960. They have all the older model sewing machines and the machines that make everything you can think of for shoes, soles, and any leather repairs, dyes, cleaning. Part of his ethics is to return a pair of shoes in top conditioned leather wise and well polished. I have a pair of shoes to pick up from him this weekend and will post here what he did to them, simply amazing.

Isshi has a shoe repairer going strong at 90. He started in the 1930s from memory. There are two famous Polish Jews called the Perkel brothers in Sydney who are also around 90 and still making bespoke shoes.

LoveMyHats2

I’ll Lock Up.
Isshi has a shoe repairer going strong at 90. He started in the 1930s from memory. There are two famous Polish Jews called the Perkel brothers in Sydney who are also around 90 and still making bespoke shoes.

Wow, he is lucky. There are so few good places to have decent work done on a pair of shoes. For reasons I cannot understand, not too many people desire to even learn the trade of repair and being a good cobbler. The one fellow local here is actually the only person/place I know of in my entire State where I live and was so very happy that he is here!

herringbonekid

I'll Lock Up
fun quizz: guess who these are made by:

_7048776.jpg

_7048803.jpg

LoveMyHats2

I’ll Lock Up.
Ok...I just picked up some shoes from the repairman here in my town, he made mention of the hard eraser made for suede shoes, and also a spot cleaner (K2R) will work on the white if you use it lightly and use the "brush" on the lid of the can.

He strongly suggest also to stay on top of the white suede shoes. Clean them every time you have "spare time" with a lightly watered damp cloth. Bag them if you have the chock bags, Spot remover for anything nasty on them.

I forgot to ask about a "dye" but I will call him tomorrow and ask.

I will post pictures of the shoes he replaced the entire bottoms/sole/heel.

Isshinryu101

One Too Many

misleading question. Like many "Big Brands", Prada doesn't actually make any of their shoes. They Re-SELL and LABEL shoes, but do not make them. Prada shoes are the ultimate "Name Rip-Off". For big prices, their shoes are made in China. Cheap CG leather and glued together I've been told.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo