Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Spectator Shoes

Spectators are great. The season to wear them really depends where you live. They are not a shoe for the rain or snow. ;)
The problem I have found is that they do not make new ones with real white buck. It is just white leather with black, brown or blue. I know Brooks Brothers was offering a white buck pair of wingtips but they cost somewhere in the $400 range. :eek: I have no idea where to get real buck spectators new but maybe someone else knows.
You can get them as vintage though over the internet or at vintage clothing stores fairly easily as long as you don't wear size 16 or something really big like that. No offense to the Big Footed here. :p

Regards to all,

J

Flitcraft

One Too Many
Anybody know where you can get a pair with rubber soles? Like Rockports, or even better, in crepe?
I know Footjoy makes rubber soled golf shoes with soft spikes, but they're not very comfortable off the course.

kools

Practically Family
I've been lurking for over a year...but now it's time for my first input.

A few years ago I found 2 pair of Allen Edmonds at an estate sale. 2 pair...one black & white, one brown & white. My size & near mint condition. $1 each.

Allen Edmonds is based here in Milwaukee, which may explain the semi-regularity of finding them at estate sales. I also found another pair of black & white, about a half-size small.

before I was married, my wife lived with the owner of Allen Edmonds' daughter. I kick myself for never seeking to take advantage of my connection.

Vladimir Berkov

One Too Many
Somehow vintage shoes just feel "wrong" to me. Sort of like wearing vintage underwear, or using a vintage toothbrush. At some point "vintage" just means somebody else's used stuff.

shamus

Suspended
Fantastic shoes. I love the Aldens. I have a regular pair of Aldens and like them better than my Allens.

If I could justify that I'd wear them all the time I'd a pair.

As to vintage/used.. if you really think about it everything is vintage/used. The place setting at the resturant... someone else drank and ate off that plate and cup... The seat you sit on in a public place, even the air you breath was in someonelses lungs at one time.

shamus said:
As to vintage/used.. if you really think about it everything is vintage/used. The place setting at the resturant... someone else drank and ate off that plate and cup... The seat you sit on in a public place, even the air you breath was in someonelses lungs at one time.

Very good point. I am going to have to remember that when my nut friend makes some remark about vintage. ;) The funny thing is that the air we breath just keeps getting recycled over and over. A dinosaur could have breathed the same air or a famous person or maybe even someone you would rather not breathe the air from. ;) I forgot about that. Thanks for refreshing my memory.

Regards to all,

J

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Personally, I draw the line as to what I will put next to my skin. I will not wear something against me that someone else has worn, especially something like a shoe. A jacket, like a chair, a plate, a glass can be washed; a shoe cannot. A shirt can be washed, but never to the extent that neck and armpit stains disappear.

I will wear a vintage tie, a vintage hat if it is immaculate as my vintage Borsalino is, a vintage jacket, perhaps, but pants, shirts, or shoes? No way. You fellows can have them.

And of course, I love the rhetorical flourish, but I hope that we all know that air is not in fact recycled, except in airplanes -filthy things.
:)

Oh, and to the topic, those Aldens are amazing. I just picked up another brand of spectator, but I could have easily gone for these.

Marty M.

Vendor
If you're going to walk a mile, do it in a pair of spector wintips.

The Allen Edmonds spectator is called the Broadstreet. It's listed retail price is $295.00. Both Allen Edmond and Alden are great shoes. Edmonds customer service make them a little easier to work with. They both offer a recrafting department. So years down the road when your shoes start to look a little ragged, send them in for recrafting. It cost around $100.00 but it's well worth it. I've seen shoes come back from recrafting looking like brand new kicks. Besides nothing fits like a old shoe.
Check out this website: www.alden-of-carmel.com The guy who runs an independent business. He orders up some tasty Aldens. We sell Allen Edmonds. They're a great company to work with. If you're ever in Port Washington, WI. Stop by there plant for a tour. You'll be amazed at how clean there factory is. They take great pride in there factory and there product.

Marty

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran