Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Sport Coat Vs. Suit Coat

vintage68

Practically Family
Is there any difference between how a sport coat/blazer is made and a suit coat? Any "rules" against wearing a suit coat by itself as a sport coat with a different pair of trousers?

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
Generally pinstripes are suit-only. Biggest rule wearing orphaned suit jackets as sport coats is avoid pairing them with trousers which are too close in color- go for some contrast.

Flat Foot Floey

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I don't know the rules. I just figured out:
There are some fabrics and pattern that work better with sportcoats than others. (herringbone, checks, houndstooth). Tweed is very good and versatile
Pinstripes are usually not intended as sport coats. They are often orphaned suit jackets and it can look good but it was not their original purpose.

A sport coat is less formal than a suit jacket. There are some sporty features: Patch pockets, bellow pockets...maybe vents or a biswing back.
Jetted pockets are more formal and would be on suit jackets.

I also read sportcoats have less buttons on the sleeves. I am not sure if this is a rule or something.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Sportcoats (fall/winter especially) are usually cut a touch looser to accommodate a sweater or vest.

Enigma1947

Familiar Face
Pinstripes are usually not intended as sport coats. They are often orphaned suit jackets and it can look good but it was not their original purpose.

Here are two wonderful pinstriped sport coats from the early 1950's. I'd wear the hell out of them!
EXM-N-9198-0031.jpg
EXM-N-9180-0042.jpg

Warbaby

One Too Many
How about those orphaned double-breasted jackets? I have one in a medium-dark gray and one navy (no stripes). I've worn the navy one with gray trous and it seems to work fine but what to wear with the dark gray?

Espee

Practically Family
Try the medium dark gray with light tan trousers (perhaps dependent on whether the grey is greenish or bluish. And grayed-out tan would be best.)

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
Grey jacket might go nice with white shoes, white trousers and a crisp white shirt (with collar worn open).

As a Brit, whose favourite period is the late 1940s, the orphaned suit jacket was almost de rigeur for that period. Battered suit jackets of all styles were worn with grey flannels in a look that lasted for many years. The accepted contrast between the two became normal for British men and was as popular as the sports jacket/wool trousers combination.

I agree on the pinstripes but do think it depends on the colours. I wouldn't want to wear a black or blue pinstripe suit jacket with contrasting trousers, but might consider mixing it up if the jacket was a brown pinstripe.

herringbonekid

I'll Lock Up
Is there any difference between how a sport coat/blazer is made and a suit coat? Any "rules" against wearing a suit coat by itself as a sport coat with a different pair of trousers?

no, there is no difference in how they are made. you're more likely to find an unlined, un-canvassed sports jacket than a suit jacket, but you can still find suit jackets that basically have all the attributes usually associated with a sports jacket, such as this linen jacket which is part of a suit:

linenSBbeltback.jpg

there were lots of 20s and 30s suits available in the U.S. which featured all of the above in tweed / flannel / cassimere etc. they were usually called 'young men's suits' or 'collegiate styles'.

in the 20s and 30s it was common to wear a dark suit jacket with white flannel (or palm beach) trousers for a sporty look; basically the U.S. version of what Two Types mentions above as being a popular 40s Brit look.

Last edited:

Flat Foot Floey

My Mail is Forwarded Here
the old cowboy look of a sport coat worn with jeans
For me it's a 80s casual friday look. ;)

I suggest chinos or grey flannels instead.

Here are two wonderful pinstriped sport coats from the early 1950's. I'd wear the hell out of them!
I see... Nice. But well, they have a pattern between the pinstripes. I was thinking of grey, blue or black pinstripe suit.

As a Brit, whose favourite period is the late 1940s, the orphaned suit jacket was almost de rigeur for that period. Battered suit jackets of all styles were worn with grey flannels in a look that lasted for many years. The accepted contrast between the two became normal for British men and was as popular as the sports jacket/wool trousers combination.
I agree. Wearing orphaned suit jackets is authentic. But it's easier to pull of with sporty styles.

no, there is no difference in how they are made. you're more likely to find an unlined, un-canvassed sports jacket than a suit jacket, but you can still find suit jackets that basically have all the attributes usually associated with a sports jacket, such as this linen jacket which is part of a suit:

there were lots of 20s and 30s suits available in the U.S. which featured all of the above in tweed / flannel / cassimere etc. they were usually called 'young men's suits' or 'collegiate styles'.

in the 20s and 30s it was common to wear a dark suit jacket with white flannel (or palm beach) trousers for a sporty look; basically the U.S. version of what Two Types mentions above as being a popular 40s Brit look.
You are right. That's why I was careful about calling my suggestions "rules. Here is a inspirational picture from a Sears catalog.

tumblr_lyljvgjrIL1r7s6tdo1_500.jpg

Benzadmiral

Call Me a Cab
I know it's probably sacrilege on this forum to say so, but the old cowboy look of a sport coat worn with jeans is starting to appeal to me.
I dress that way a lot on cool-weather weekends -- a brown tweed jacket with some blue in it, over clean well-kept jeans and with clean, polished boots.

Warbaby

One Too Many
Thanks for the tips on the gray DB - I had never thought of it with tan trous, but I tried it and it works! Also like the look with white trous and shoes - a bit avant garde looking, but so am I...

Benzadmiral

Call Me a Cab
I'm more of a Wranglers and roper boots (low cut heel) kind of guy, and lately this look has been growing on me even more.
The weather here is so hot for so much of the year that I wind up wearing my ropers much more than I do my tall goatskin boots, which are dressier.

nihil

One of the Regulars
I know it's probably sacrilege on this forum to say so, but the old cowboy look of a sport coat worn with jeans is starting to appeal to me.
In Denmark, that look is basically the 'new suit look' Everyone looks like that today if they want to look 'smart'
Only a minority wear full suits with tie today. Even CEOs of large cooperations can be seen wearing that terrible jeans and blazer combo. Of course always combines with a shirt without tie, with the top button undone.
Those going 'casual dressy', they exchange the shirt for a polo.

And those without a fashion sense wear trainers...I think someone called it the 'Clarkson look'..

vintage68

Practically Family
In Denmark, that look is basically the 'new suit look' Everyone looks like that today if they want to look 'smart'
Only a minority wear full suits with tie today. Even CEOs of large cooperations can be seen wearing that terrible jeans and blazer combo.

Yeah, but do they wear a cowboy hat to complete the ensemble? :D

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
The white trousers and white shoes combined with a sports jacket always gets odd looks. People stare at me in the street when I wear those colours. Which is odd considering that I live in an area where people walk around in white tracksuits/shell suits/leisure suits with gleaming white trainers - and others wear full white African robes or shiny African suits with long pointed white shoes. No one looks at them. But a casual 1920s/1930s sports looks seems to perplex people. Odd, when you think about it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot