Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Sportcoat Dating Help

SteveN

One of the Regulars
Gentlemen,

I just returned from some thrift shops and have two new finds. It turns out my sister is a super shopper at thrift shops and showed me to all her favourite places in the Dallas area. Actually, we just hit a few; many more to go.

The first is a sport coat, I think. Is it true that a 'sport coat', meaning a jacket design & sold without matching pants has only two buttons on the sleeve?

The first is a 'Penny's' jacket. It's partially line, with a union tag, '3 roll 2' lapels and unusual 'flecked' fabric. Here's a close-up of the fabric:
IMG_00091.jpg

and one of the union label. I seem to recall someone saying something about the red letters indicating vintage:
IMG_00121.jpg

The front:
IMG_0001-1-1.jpg

and inside:
IMG_0002.jpg

The second is a double breasted. My best guess is late 1960's. Here's the front:
IMG_0004.jpg

Inside, showing partial lining:
IMG_00051.jpg

and the union label. This one does not have red lettering:
IMG_00081.jpg

Any guesses as to the dates?

Regards,
- SteveN

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
The first looks early '60s to me. The second one I'm not sure about. I'd guess '50s, but I'm not too sure. I really like it, though.

thunderw21

I'll Lock Up
I agree with D-man about the first one.

That second one is late '60s or, more likely, into the '70s. I dig it though, cool fabric and I like the button stance.
Keep looking, eventually you'll get an eye for vintage and will start finding real vintage pieces.

der schneider

One of the Regulars
the shoulders look awfully late 1980's is there any hand sewing on the lining
and the hem?

are the interfacings fused or floating?

The label pics are to blurry for me to make out.

i like the 1st one the second one looks like a hugo boss from the late 80's to me.

SteveN

One of the Regulars
I always wondering about the meaning of 'fused'. Does anyone have an explanation or picture of what these hems look like?

der schneider said:
the shoulders look awfully late 1980's is there any hand sewing on the lining
and the hem?

are the interfacings fused or floating?

The label pics are to blurry for me to make out.

i like the 1st one the second one looks like a hugo boss from the late 80's to me.

Thanks to what I've read in this forum, I now know that if you go to steelzipper.com, you will find a fairly thorough (and reliable, presumably) guide to dating those union labels.

By the way, I've recently scored some sport jackets with the '49 to '62 label. They have their similarities in cut and fabric to the first jacket posted in this thread. There are a coupla-three others to be had, but it's quite doubtful that I'll never get thin enough to wear them comfortably. But if you're around six feet tall and weigh in the vicinity of, say, 160 pounds, they may be just the thing. And I bet I could snag 'em for something like 10 bucks a pop. If there's any interest, shoot me a PM.

Feraud

Bartender
SteveN said:
I always wondering about the meaning of 'fused'. Does anyone have an explanation or picture of what these hems look like?
Fused = glued. The reference to the fusing is not about the hem but the body of the jacket.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner