Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Spotted: late 30s/40s two-piece; larger size; room for alteration; great price!

DamianM

Vendor
but $170 for a cut down jacket and one good pair of trousers in good shape?

Shame it went through that process but its worthless IMO except for the trousers

DamianM

Vendor
Hey its not your fault the piece was messed with.
I always post finds and deals, some are scrutinized as well but its nothing personal.

GoldenEraFan

One Too Many
I have heard of button fly's being used on suit pants in the '50s. I've also seen examples of skinnier lapels in the late 1940's, also in contrast with the fact that it's a larger size suit.

DamianM

Vendor
I have heard of button fly's being used on suit pants in the '50s. I've also seen examples of skinnier lapels in the late 1940's, also in contrast with the fact that it's a larger size suit.

Rarely will you see slim lapels on 40s suits. this one was a victim of the 60s.
They would send out fathers "old" suit to get it "modernized" (butchered) into the current style.

Button fly is an awful indicator of age. Those lapels show no sign of having been altered. The low button stance 2-button front would certainly suggest late 50s or 60s on that suit. It's pure Ratpack styling.

Re: the thread. It's threads like this that save people from buying mis-listed suits on eBay. This is a valuable function of the Clasifieds section of FLounge.

I don't know why. There's no evidence of anything other than late 50s/early 60s in the photos. Ben Webster's about the only big guy I've seen rock this look well. Narrow lapels, stingy brims, typically not the big guy's friends, but Big Ben carries it off well.

Ben%20Webster.jpg

Ben+Webster+PNG.png

Low button stance of course gives the illusion of height and reduces the horizontal aspect of the wearer, so good for bigger guys. Here, 1947.

790px-Ben_Webster%2C_Eddie_Barefield%2C_Buck_Clayton%2C_Benny_Morton%2C_Famous_Door_NYC%2C_ca_October_1947_%28Gottlieb%29.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24