Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Spray Tans?

jayem

A-List Customer
I've vowed not to let the sun burn my skin this summer (SPF 45, here I come!), but I don't want to be blindingly white at the beach (I'm a very pale girl, already). I was considering maybe doing those spray tans every now and then, but I want to avoid that orangy color that seems to be so inevitable. Has anybody spray tanned here before? Did you turn orange, how long did it last?

Sunland Sare

New in Town
i had one recently, and it was sooo orange and; the british ladies will know what im talking about when i say; "WAG"-esque

i nearly cried, but then i got home and had a shower, it was fab!

still a bit orange on the back of my heels, but nothing a little bit of toothpaste on a soft toothbrush can't fade (weird, i know but it works)

to be fair, i think you get what you pay for. i go to a fairly expensive beauty parlour, and they even ask you if you want them to use a ever so slightly darker tan to spray on kinda shadows so you look all toned and nice, or to make your boobleroos look bigger hehehe

Lola Valentine

One of the Regulars
Sunland Sare said:
still a bit orange on the back of my heels, but nothing a little bit of toothpaste on a soft toothbrush can't fade (weird, i know but it works)

to be fair, i think you get what you pay for. i go to a fairly expensive beauty parlour, and they even ask you if you want them to use a ever so slightly darker tan to spray on kinda shadows so you look all toned and nice, or to make your boobleroos look bigger hehehe

I've never heard of either the toothpaste tip, or a salon spraying shadows on your body to make you look more toned! Although both do make sense, now that I think about it.... Unfortunately, I look ridiculous with a tan, so I've never used a spray tan, but from looking at my friends tans, I have to agree with Sunland Sare....you definately get what you pay for with these kind of things.
Looking like a WAG is a very bad look lol I'm glad it got better!

Audrey Horne

Practically Family
jayem said:
I've vowed not to let the sun burn my skin this summer (SPF 45, here I come!), but I don't want to be blindingly white at the beach (I'm a very pale girl, already). I was considering maybe doing those spray tans every now and then, but I want to avoid that orangy color that seems to be so inevitable. Has anybody spray tanned here before? Did you turn orange, how long did it last?
I'm super pale I know what you mean about wanting a little color sometimes. I did airbrush tanning before my wedding. I think it was about $35 and you go into a little room and someone sprays you by hand. The place I went to is kind of half way between mystic tan (automatic booths) and a fancy salon (aforementioned extra "toning"). Despite my best efforts my knees and ankles still turned out pretty blotchy/uneven. It lasted about 4 days, but that includes swimming on my honeymoon. Here's me normally:
1802129374_8671def31d_m.jpg

Here's me 2 days after the application:
2098466272_a933e39fba.jpg

On a side note, I've also had good results doing it myself with L'Oreal Sublime Bronze. I'm on the right in the blue:
1796167265_b3847f69d0.jpg

nyx

One of the Regulars
I had a spray tan done and I was worried about being orange because it was before my wedding, so I went for the lightest color. It really looked no different when it was done, except for where it had gotten on my feet, hands and fingernails. Apparently I didn't put enough of the blocking stuff on.

If I tried it again, I'd go medium. Oh and as a side note, a very fair friend went with me and the same thing happened to her, so it wasn't just my skin tone.

PS

A-List Customer
I have had more luck with self tan than spray tans. I like SunLabs, on the more expensive side but I think the results are great. Even with my tan I am still pretty pale but less bright.....

2du9l5y.jpg
[/IMG]
Tan--

zkit7a.jpg

Sans Tan

retromom712

New in Town
i used to work at a tanning salon where they had the spray tan and the booth smelled to high heaven! i just try to embrace my skin color...we can't all be bronzed beauties...;)

Miss_Bella_Hell

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I've done it before, it looked natural but it was a big change from pale to tan in a few hours. I have naturally pale skin but I tan rather than burn. In order to resist the urge to tan on my upcoming trip to Hawaii I'm definitely going to spray tan - I'll take before and afters!

MarieAnne

Practically Family
I had a spray tan once and I was very dark and orange. On the bright side it really made my blue eye pop! But it was expensive and too dark for my tastes.
I much prefer to do it myself with the L'Oreal Sublime Bronze gel. The cream is alright but I find I get a more even tan with the gel. It's cheap, you can go as dark as you like. Like anything else, you get really good with practice.
Here are some tips:
-Exfoliate! Brush brush brush!
-I apply from my feet up so I don't get tan crease lines in my mid section.
-I put a big glob in one hand, spread it and mush it so that I have even amounts on each hand, and then I take my left hand to do my left leg, and my right hand to do my right leg. This way my legs are tanned even. This works for arms too.
-For elbows, feet, and knees, I usually wait until the lotion has absorbed and then I smudge the tiny bit of leftover film into those areas. It keeps them from getting too dark.
-After, I wash my hands HARD. In between the fingers, around the fingernails, everything- like a surgeon. And so I don't get a tan line around my wrists, I take a piece of tissue and 'smudge' a tiny bit of lotion from my wrist onto the back of my hand and around my wrist. You want it to fade gradually.
-Dark bed sheets.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy