Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Stacy Adams Fedoras

monbla256

Call Me a Cab
So i found a fedora online for 80 bucks brand new on clearance in my size. What's your guy's oppinions for 80 bucks for a fur felt hat? i'm struggling to find one under 100 bucks and this is the closest one right now. The brand is Stacy Adams, and ive heard mixed oppinions on them.

Thanks everyone!

A fur felt in the $80.00 range would be a good deal. As for the maker, that is the question as Stacey Adams makes shoes, not hats, so it is made by one of the other hat making firms either here in the US or over in Europe. It would be interesting to know who makes hats for Stacey Adams. Can you post some pics?

facade

A-List Customer
The Stacy Adams hat is likely a wool hat, which is the least desirable material such hats are made from. Wool fedoras generally don't fare that well when exposed to rain and the ravages of time. If you want a "stingy" brimmed fedora (2" or less) you can easily get a much better quality vintage fedora on Ebay for the same money or even less (unless you have a really big head). If you want a quality vintage fedora with a wider brim, those generally run from $100 - $350 on Ebay, unless you are blessed with a smaller head size. In which case you can rountinely pick up great hats of any brim size for next to nothing.

Last edited:

HatsEnough

Banned
Yeah. I'd question if it really is furfelt at only $80! Usually the cheapest new production furfelts start at about $130 and go upwards.
Look over that deal a bit closer is my advice.
But if it really is only $80, and it really is true furfelt that is very cheap for a new hat.
As to Stacy Adams, I've not heard the best news about them.

DJH

I'll Lock Up
Hey Cyam, personally I wouldn't get one of these hats.

Instead, I'd invest a little more (say $110 or so) and get one of the Akubra's. Tons of different styles and would last for years.

I'm at the airport with poor Internet access or I'd post links, but you'll find a ton of Akubra posts on the forum.

wookieecrisp

New in Town
I'm sorry if this is a bit off-topic, but since we've mentioned vintage fedoras and new Akubras, how does the quality of a new Akubra compare to say, a vintage Stetson? (I'm considering maybe a 3x Beaver Suede)

monbla256

Call Me a Cab
I'm sorry if this is a bit off-topic, but since we've mentioned vintage fedoras and new Akubras, how does the quality of a new Akubra compare to say, a vintage Stetson? (I'm considering maybe a 3x Beaver Suede)

Depends on WHICH vintage and style ( fedora/western) and which Akubra you want to compare. Being a confirmed Akubra owner ( 8 of 'em over 32 years) I'd definately say they are as good if not BETTER than most Stetsons made over the last 10 years in most catagories or models. Akubra does not make ANY ALL BEAVER felt hats so I would not compare 'em to any ALL BEAVER Stetsons ( keeping it apples to apples here :) ) If you want a currently made quality production fur felt hat for a decent price, they are the ONLY brand I would buy. They DO NOT make anything in the 1920's/'30s style fedora so don't even look to them for that. I'm speaking of hats made for the general Australian public, not US hat collectors/ mavens :)

wookieecrisp

New in Town
Thank you for the reply! Specifically, I'm talking about the Stetson Fedora (not western) of the 40's, a 3X Beaver Suede Finish that I'm considering. The 3X Beaver I believe is only partly Beaver.

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
Akubra does not make ANY ALL BEAVER felt hats so I would not compare 'em to any ALL BEAVER Stetsons ( keeping it apples to apples here :) ) If you want a currently made quality production fur felt hat for a decent price, they are the ONLY brand I would buy. They DO NOT make anything in the 1920's/'30s style fedora so don't even look to them for that.

Are you talking about Akubra or Stetson here because the Fed IV is '30s/'40s-like.

Dewhurst

Practically Family
Regarding the Stacy Adam's fur-felt hats: I have seen these before in a center dent style (if I remember correctly). They are cheaply produced but are perfectly serviceable and someone would get quite a bit more traction out of one than most any wool felt hat. Nothing special, but they are not terrible either. Think Scala or Stefano (Stefeno) for a comparison.

The Stefano's are a good example: made in China, nothing special, but decent. I have a snap brim center dent fedora from Stefano (100% Rabbit! Oh boy!) that I bought a couple years ago and the darn thing just keeps on goin'. No amount of rain or wind or wear can destroy it. The felt is thin, but as soft as butter. And it actually looks good. Could just be a lucky snag. I got it for $45.

It is too bad that you cannot investigate the Stacy Adam's in person. When dealing with fur felt hats in this price range, sometimes you luck out and sometimes you strike out.

Rick Blaine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Go to outbackoutlet.com or sierratradingpost.com look around for some coupon codes & you can score a fur felt (from China) for under thirty bucks. Demi-westerns but w/ some steam & elbow grease? Great possibilities, IMO.

Barring that -you cannot go wrong w/ an Akubra. And the Oz dollar has taken a hit lately (i.e.- cheaper hat prices).

If you have a small bean - 7 1/8 or under- vintage, vintage, vintage.

Last edited:

cyamamot

New in Town
The list price on it said 135 i believe, and it was on sale for 80 bucks. Ive seen a few swing dancers in our area with Stacy Adams just from the pin they come with, but apparently its fur felt. I'm thinking of going ahead and getting it. I just want something to wear in the winter that has a decent brim so i dont get to much snow in my face.

dogrocketp

One of the Regulars
I got my nephew a Navy blue Stacy Adams (Center dent) with a 2&1/2" brim for his first dress hat. It looks great and will work beautifully for him. It is wool, but he takes care of his things, so that won't be a problem. I believe that we should buy what we like, wool or felt. I have felt, but only because I need to dress up for work, and they are dressier to me. A nice hat is a nice hat. My 17 year old has a great collection, but his favorite is an olive wool fedora. On him, it's just killer, and all his friends think he's the best because of his hats.

O2BSwank

One of the Regulars
After being on this site for a while I checked out "hats in the belfrey" and ordered a grey Gangster style fedora. While I was awaiting its arrival I found a fur felt Sacred feather "big time" at a vintage shop. I could tell that it was fur felt before I checked it out on their site, When the belfrey hat arrived I was disappointed. One, it was too large and two, it did not have a liner or leather sweatband. (The description was accurate in the ad, but I didn't think the lack of those things would matter, They did.) Still, I liked the overall look. Then I went to a local hat store that had just opened. I found a Scala "New Yorker"in grey in a similar style, wool felt. This hat came fully lined with a leather sweatband and it was cheaper than the belfrey hat. There had been a five dollar extra charge for xxl sizing. Bottom line is the hat cost me 50.00. It"s a very nice looking hat. I'm sure that it will last a couple of years which is great for the money. I can spend fifty bucks on a dinner at Applebees which won't last as long. I think a low priced hat is a smart move to try the waters.

The Wiser Hatter

I'll Lock Up
Yes try a low priced new hat. To see if you like yourself in a Hat. Then check on eBay or local vintage shops to find a vintage fedora that you like.
Then to further the addiction check on the custom hat makers.:)

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
The internet has made it so easy to have just about anything delivered right to your front door, but I always recommend buying certain things, especially for the first time, live and in-person. Hats fit into this category. There's nothing like getting your hands on, and head in, a bunch of hats at a shop before buying your first hat. You'll see what is desirable and acceptable to you regarding quality and price.

monbla256

Call Me a Cab
The internet has made it so easy to have just about anything delivered right to your front door, but I always recommend buying certain things, especially for the first time, live and in-person. Hats fit into this category. There's nothing like getting your hands on, and head in, a bunch of hats at a shop before buying your first hat. You'll see what is desirable and acceptable to you regarding quality and price.

All of the above as well as the most important part, how the hat looks on you !! :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran