Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Staff changes at Aero Leather

Mark-D

New in Town
I too have been in the process of working out the sizing for a jacket order with Amanda and was a bit surprised to find her responses to my emails, when she deemed to respond, rather lackadaisical. So this latest news of her departure makes sense. I hope Aero is able to get things straightened out.

I've had the same experience...

Don Tomaso

A-List Customer
I also hope my LHB, which has been at Aero now for more than 2 month just for minor fixes, will not be delayed too much more. I heard it is finished, but I got quite confusing information besides this.

cloudylemonade

A-List Customer
I also hope my LHB, which has been at Aero now for more than 2 month just for minor fixes, will not be delayed too much more. I heard it is finished, but I got quite confusing information besides this.

Can you please email me and tell me your FL user name so I know who you are?

Thanks

feltfan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
While I believe I have Amanda to thank for getting *anything* out of Mark Moye/Aero USA, I wonder how he got away
with as much as he got away with. Surely someone on the other side of the pond had some involvement, if only in not
keeping an eye on the ball. So I am not surprised by the changes over there. Good luck under difficult circumstances.

eClairvaux

One of the Regulars
As for the IH/Aero collaboration, I understand there might be good business reasons to get rid of it. However, one reason you (Holly) gave was that their changes to the base jacket's design did not fit Aero's understanding of vintage and what your brand is about. I beg to disagree. Firstly, leather facings in all sorts of places can be found in vintage examples from Monarch, Sears and Buco, to name a few to be found in Rin Tanaka's books.

Secondly, even if an oversized zipper is not your thing, doing such a thing inside a capsule collection with IH allows you to connect to clients you would otherwise not reach, without compromising Aero's (re-stated) claim to adhere to true reproductions. Look at examples like Viberg, Barbour or Filson to see how a rather limited reach of those brands can be boosted by such collaborations to connect with entirely different kinds of clients. I also fear the market for said reproductions is rather limited and aging, so trying out new things through collaborations that don't even show up on your online shop seems like good business sense to me.

Personally, I have enjoyed the possibility to play with your designs and add my own ideas, discuss it here on this forum, knowing that hardly any wish would be impossible to get from Aero. I understand this is expensive to make and even more difficult to maintain some manageable process within production, but from the outside it was a co-designing customer's dream. In fact many companies are just starting out, trying to make such an approach work while Aero had it all in place. Co-designing, as all participatory concepts, are quickly gaining ground and should I ever set up a business in that direction, my experience with Aero will be the benchmark when it comes to communication and focus.

Of course I am aware it is impossible for you to discuss such matters in public, but I needed to comment on this, if only to tip the balance a bit in favor of the good things that were and that now seemingly appear so outdated to you. I will certainly value my small collection of heavily individualized jackets from Aero even higher.

cloudylemonade

A-List Customer
As for the IH/Aero collaboration, I understand there might be good business reasons to get rid of it. However, one reason you (Holly) gave was that their changes to the base jacket's design did not fit Aero's understanding of vintage and what your brand is about. I beg to disagree. Firstly, leather facings in all sorts of places can be found in vintage examples from Monarch, Sears and Buco, to name a few to be found in Rin Tanaka's books.

Secondly, even if an oversized zipper is not your thing, doing such a thing inside a capsule collection with IH allows you to connect to clients you would otherwise not reach, without compromising Aero's (re-stated) claim to adhere to true reproductions. Look at examples like Viberg, Barbour or Filson to see how a rather limited reach of those brands can be boosted by such collaborations to connect with entirely different kinds of clients. I also fear the market for said reproductions is rather limited and aging, so trying out new things through collaborations that don't even show up on your online shop seems like good business sense to me.

Personally, I have enjoyed the possibility to play with your designs and add my own ideas, discuss it here on this forum, knowing that hardly any wish would be impossible to get from Aero. I understand this is expensive to make and even more difficult to maintain some manageable process within production, but from the outside it was a co-designing customer's dream. In fact many companies are just starting out, trying to make such an approach work while Aero had it all in place. Co-designing, as all participatory concepts, are quickly gaining ground and should I ever set up a business in that direction, my experience with Aero will be the benchmark when it comes to communication and focus.

Of course I am aware it is impossible for you to discuss such matters in public, but I needed to comment on this, if only to tip the balance a bit in favor of the good things that were and that now seemingly appear so outdated to you. I will certainly value my small collection of heavily individualized jackets from Aero even higher.

There are legalities with the dealings with Iron Heart I cannot go into. You have given just 2 of a long line of reasons we've decided to cut ties. Collaborations are only a good idea if they sit well with our brand, and I'm afraid we didn't feel Iron Heart did. We are backlogged with orders, so we don't need to worry about a limited market, we've got plenty of customers as it is without making any compromising decisions.

I understand that customers enjoy playing with our designs and putting their own mark on them, and in theory this is great but in reality the requests made don't always work in design terms. As our label is going in a jacket we have to be comfortable that it is still a fair representation of what we do, combined with the fact we offer a no quibble return, we have to ensure that any jacket we make can be resold if the customer changes their mind or the jacket doesn't fit. In addition to this a custom jacket can take double the time to cut and machine. Not only do we get the same price for one of these customised designs as we do for a standard jacket, but it also means we've lost the time to make someone elses jacket.

As a result of Will and Amanda leaving, we've come to realise there was no proper order system in place. We're in the middle of trying to organise what, in truth, is a total mess that they have left behind. As we see it there is around 6 months worth of orders waiting to be made, when they were promising a 3 month turn around to all customers. Production is already higher than it was this time last month, and with 2 more former employees returning to the fold in the coming weeks production will be around 20% higher than it has been for many years, but even with that, we are still extremely backlogged. We're working 7 days a week to reduce the wait time, and will be taking on more trainees when we've got time to train them up, all in a bid to get this reduced.

We are not entirely turning our back on customisations, but we have to do what is best for the company and our customers. We're trying to satisfy as many customers as quickly as possible, but also to protect our brand. I do hope you understand this?

As for leather facings, my dad is the designer and it was his call. He designed almost every jacket we make (with the exception of designs brought to us by customers - many of whom post here), and at the end of the day if he doesn't feel comfortable doing something, it's his decision. He has been making clothes since the 1960s and if he says that a leather band will spoil the line of a jacket I trust his judgement.

mattp

One of the Regulars
It should be remembered that the Aero/IH collab customers were still Aero customers, as were those who placed an order for a standard(ish) Aero through Iron Heart. Legalities and other issues aside, there were numerous customers who effectively had the door closed in their face despite in good faith being 'in the queue' for a jacket. Even if the responibility for this set-up doesn't sit with those now back at the helm, I think more should have been done for those left in the lurch.

JakeHolman

One of the Regulars
To be honest Matt, between working 24/7, hiring new machinists, Ken coming out of retirement and Holly taking the time to write lengthy replies as well as personal emails to customers it sounds like they're doing as much as they can. I don't know all the details of the IH collab and it must be frustrating to have had a jacket on order through IH and not know where in the queue it now is but I'm willing to cut them a bit of slack while they sort out the mess.

cloudylemonade

A-List Customer
It should be remembered that the Aero/IH collab customers were still Aero customers, as were those who placed an order for a standard(ish) Aero through Iron Heart. Legalities and other issues aside, there were numerous customers who effectively had the door closed in their face despite in good faith being 'in the queue' for a jacket. Even if the responibility for this set-up doesn't sit with those now back at the helm, I think more should have been done for those left in the lurch.

If anyone who has ordered an Aero jacket via Iron Heart they can reorder it from Aero and provided its not got massive amendments we will do our very best to push it through quickly.

Matt, as you know I have already tried to help you, and am still in the process of trying to help so if you've any further issues please email directly.

If there had been a way of continuing to fulfil Iron Hearts existing orders we would have done so, but the way things stood we had no choice at all but to immediately terminate the business between us. I cannot say anymore than that.

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
I think that we all need to do our part and cut Aero as much slack as possible as they try to sift through what appears to be a daunting challenge for them.

wdw

One Too Many
If you follow this through, Aero are incurring additional overtime costs by working 7 days a week, but gaining nothing in return in terms of additional recovery. Add to that the significant time (and hence cost) impact of unpaid modifications and the natural thing would be for heavily modded jackets to be pushed down the queue in order to reduce overall waiting times as quickly as possible.

Maybe people should ask themselves if they really need the mods if they hope to get the jackets sooner rather than later. It's a really unfortunate situation for all involved.

rocketeer

Call Me a Cab
To be honest Matt, between working 24/7, hiring new machinists, Ken coming out of retirement and Holly taking the time to write lengthy replies as well as personal emails to customers it sounds like they're doing as much as they can. I don't know all the details of the IH collab and it must be frustrating to have had a jacket on order through IH and not know where in the queue it now is but I'm willing to cut them a bit of slack while they sort out the mess.

Well said that man .

Remember this is just a forum, sort of a hobby thing in reality and not part of Aero, Eastman or any other company.
Holly is putting her work time to this as well as dealing with the Aero website details and all those other transactions from, IronHeart is it? Anyone who has visited the factory recently would be aware of this.
I have a jacket on order too, I know I wont be getting it for a while but accept that due to the business situation with the STAFF changes at Aeroleather. Also any major deviations for custom work other to get the body or sleeve length correct may only add more delays.
So come on girls, give Holly a break eh!
Fancy putting your feet up deary for a cup o tea and a bun;)

rocketeer

Call Me a Cab

Well said that man .

And to you as well
If you follow this through, Aero are incurring additional overtime costs by working 7 days a week, but gaining nothing in return in terms of additional recovery. Add to that the significant time (and hence cost) impact of unpaid modifications and the natural thing would be for heavily modded jackets to be pushed down the queue in order to reduce overall waiting times as quickly as possible.

Maybe people should ask themselves if they really need the mods if they hope to get the jackets sooner rather than later. It's a really unfortunate situation for all involved.

Remember this is just a forum, sort of a hobby thing in reality and not part of Aero, Eastman or any other company.
Holly is putting her work time to this as well as dealing with the Aero website details and all those other transactions from, IronHeart is it? Anyone who has visited the factory recently would be aware of this.
I have a jacket on order too, I know I wont be getting it for a while but accept that due to the business situation with the STAFF changes at Aeroleather. Also any major deviations for custom work other to get the body or sleeve length correct may only add more delays.

Last edited:

majormajor

One Too Many
Well said that man .

+1

RegentSt1965

Familiar Face
Absolutely - they are going the extra mile and all this will be a memory in no time . I'm sure I'll get my B10 back soon and will delay going up to sort out a new A2 untill they are back on scratch. BTW the Goodwear T is great quality and even shrunk is still generous!

cloudylemonade

A-List Customer
Thank you, we really are doing all we can. For those of you who have been down to the factory, you've probably seen the mess the place has been left in, but we're in the process of sorting things out. Putting hundreds of emails which have never been properly processed onto the order system is taking a lot of time, but will help reduce problems in the future - again heavily customised items is slowing this process down too.

We'll get there, it'll take us a couple of weeks for things to calm down a bit, but then it'll be plain sailing from here on in (I hope!!).

Thanks for your understanding everyone, we always knew our customers were special :)

eClairvaux

One of the Regulars
Thanks for the reply Holly! As I stated earlier, I respect your decision and I am fully aware that I can't see what you see from my outside view. I had just hoped it's worth re-stating what I felt hasn't been said about collaborations (with whomever, say Nigel Cabourn actually stating who makes their leather jackets) and what was good about times past and with staff now gone.

Also I have to doff my hat: you do a formidable job when it comes to engaging customers here and you deserve praise and respect for that. I hope Aero will get back soon to a working mode that is equally accommodating for those who work there, as for those who order from it.

GriffDeLaGriff

One Too Many
I will help you by not ordering a jacket I was supposed to. I will wait. How nice of me :D

I might be wrong, but looking back and reading between the lines from the collaboration, I think Aero has done the right thing. Specially since there was really only an IH zip on an Aero jacket. I was waiting for the CafeRacer myself and was expecting sweet things, I dunno maybe a white line across the chest on a black CR with some sweet IH lining, but when I saw what was the final product I just got a normal Aero CR.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24