Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Starter hat

Benzadmiral

Call Me a Cab
From my experiences with my two Federations, I think Akubra does make a top-notch hat. I've never tried the Stylemaster, but it does look sharp.

I'd also suggest the Stetson Temple, which is only a hair wider in the brim front and back but is a little narrower on the sides -- a dimensional brim -- and comes in more colors than the dark gray and brown of the Stylemaster: http://www.hats-plus.com/p-142-stetson-temple-fedora-hat.aspx

But ordered from David Morgan in up in Washington State, the Stylemaster would probably end up cheaper. So you have a wealth of choices!

memphislawyer

Practically Family
I got a Stetson Saxon as my first hat and then the Akubra Stylemaster. The Akubra is a great value, but two things for me that make me sell mine: 1) brown is not a good color on me and 2) the wider brim makes me think it is more western on me. I may be wrong, but my wife is a good judge of style to the untrained eye and says it looks too big on me, so that extra 1/2" or so of brim is a lot. Otherwise, spot on about the Stylemaster being a good first hat. I might feel different had I gotten it first but that is how it hits me

Rodkins

Call Me a Cab
Akubra Stylemaster - Acorn I think
184b7aa0.jpg

Blackthorn

I'll Lock Up
A Stylemaster was one of my first few hats, and then I branched out into custom, but even so I bought 2 more, in different colors, and I wear them regularly. I think the Stylemaster is very close to what you see in many old movies, which was what I was going for.

Wolfwood

A-List Customer
I'd recommend the Federation, but Stylemaster is certainly also a fine at (I like it even more with a wide ribbon).

ambulatingreader

New in Town
I have 2 Stylemasters, one in brown, one in carbon grey-- the latter a birthday present from my girlfriend.Both purchased at Bernie Utz's, my hat shop since 1979. I put a windcord on the brown hat for wear in windy, wet Seattle. The grey hat is my "dress hat", for less rainy conditions. People have complimented me on both. I think the Stylemaster is a great starter hat. I tried on a Banjo paterson, also by Akubra, but a 3in. brim was too much.

BladeOfAnduril

One of the Regulars
Gentlemen, thank you so much for the kind replies. I'll start saving now for the Stylemaster.

Yesterday my wife found a "grey fedora" at a thrift store and bought it for me. Turned out its a Stetson Mallory. I'm not sure of the age, but it looks vintage. Has some discoloration and wear. I'll have to do some searching around on how to clean it up some.

I bought two modern Borsalinos early on. I've bought quite a few other hats since and now I almost never wear those first new hats. If you think you will enjoy exploring vintage hats, I would spend some quality time on the Lounge and dive right in. I would look for an early 1950s fedora. Any manufacturer will do, but there is a lot of information on the lounge (look through the stickies on dating Stetson hats) to help you identify a postwar Stetson. This will help you establish a standard to use when evaluating the qualities of a modern hat. I think it will save you money in the long run.

Here is a fairly typical late forties Royal Stetson DeLuxe in nice condition.

rsd6.jpg

Methuselah

One of the Regulars
I'm a fedora novice too - I bought an Acorn Stylemaster & love wearing it.
An excellent 'starter' hat, I tried on a few other brands before getting an Akubra, for the money the are hard to beat.

danofarlington

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Yes, it's a question of learning how to buy them for yourself, without shelling out a lot of money at the beginning. There's a lot to learn about styles, quality, age, quality, condition, sellers, and prices, and I think training yourself in with some inexpensive first hats is smart.

MikeBravo

One Too Many
I think the Fed is a BIG hat to be your first fedora, and may seem like just too much if you're still tentative about hat-wearing. That's up to Matt. But there's no question that the Feds are great, classic hats, and like all Akubras, a great value in the current market. (I also have one of the older - and even bigger - Fed IIIs, but it has never felt as right on me as the Stylemaster does.)

One notable difference is the brim edge finish on the Stylemaster, it has a bound edge, whereas the Federation has a raw/unfinished edge

Personally I prefer a finished edge. Stylemaster will be my next purchase, unless I get a Homburg as I lack a formal hat

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran