Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Starting over with my Aero Half-Belt Order- Which Option?

technovox

One Too Many
Thanks to all for the informative comments and good information. I was originally leaning toward a 50's half-belt, but after your convincing arguments and first hand expertise, I was swayed otherwise. So I ended up ordering the 30's half-belt instead... and with just a tad extended length in the body as suggested. I'll definitely post some pictures when the jacket finally arrives. Thanks all! You guys are the best!

TallBob

New in Town
Hi all, on a sort of related topic I was wondering if anyone knows what the differences are between the old 1930s Half Belt Slim Fit and the new Dustbowl? Is it just the detailing (no top pocket, 3-panel back) or is there a difference in the length/fit or weight of leather used? Thanks!

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
Hi all, on a sort of related topic I was wondering if anyone knows what the differences are between the old 1930s Half Belt Slim Fit and the new Dustbowl? Is it just the detailing (no top pocket, 3-panel back) or is there a difference in the length/fit or weight of leather used? Thanks!

It is my understanding that the 30's HB and the new Dustbowl are very similar in fit design, although would imagine that it is more expensive to manufacture the latter than the former due to the paneled back design and more expensive "hookless" zipper.

jack miranda

A-List Customer
Just curious- why do you prefer the drop front? Is it the fit? Or do you prefer the style? Or both?

A flat front ends up sagging toward the back, and, flaring a bit all around. It's odd, but, as it breaks in the jacket takes on different look, not so pleasing as the drop front which has a trimmer, more consistently vertical profile. A poor analogy is that of a ship: a trim, fast ship with a sleek prow (drop front) catches the eye more than the blunt bow (flat bottom) of tug or barge. As with everything in our jackets it is a matter of preference.

Carrie @ Thurston Bros.

Sponsoring Affiliate

The Dustbowl and the 1930s Slimfit Half Belt have the exact same fit. In fact, we use our 1930s Slimfit Half Belt jackets to fit our customers for the new Dustbowl design. The weight of the Dustbowl is variable...for example, if you specify it in C/X FQHH, it will be heavier than if you get it in Jerky Horsehide. We really like this jacket in C/X FQHH!

bretron

Call Me a Cab
The Dustbowl and the 1930s Slimfit Half Belt have the exact same fit. In fact, we use our 1930s Slimfit Half Belt jackets to fit our customers for the new Dustbowl design. The weight of the Dustbowl is variable...for example, if you specify it in C/X FQHH, it will be heavier than if you get it in Jerky Horsehide. We really like this jacket in C/X FQHH!

Carrie, can you shed any light on the difference in fit between the Dustbowl and Original Hercules? Thx!

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
I think that having tried on both in the same size while at the Aero factory, Schitzo reported that the armholes were larger on the Original Hercules than the Dustbowl. The much lower positioning of the cinch belts on the Original Hercules would also be expected to give a different fit.

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
Carrie, you sent your response while I was typing and didn't see your post before I sent mine. Was Schitzo's impression of larger armholes on the Original Hercules correct? He also said that the fit of the Original Hercules was not as tight as the Dustbowl, which is exactly as you just said, although Schitzo said that he felt that the armholes on the Original Hercules were larger than on the Dustbowl, which he felt provided a better fit for him.

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
The low cinch belts I think would give a 'boxier' look, similar to that of the Highwayman. I certainly found the DB a neater fit of the two.

bretron

Call Me a Cab
Thx, y'all :)

Sloan, if I recall your experience correctly the 20s Herc was a shorter cut jacket?

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
Yes, certainly, but I'd say that there's not much between the OH and the DB. Even though my DB's a size up from my usual 36, you wouldn't look at it and think it was long:

Since this was taken, I've set the collar using HWT, looks much better.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy