Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Steampunk, Dieselpunk, etc.

BeBopBaby

One Too Many
A. G. Geiger said:
mco2.jpg

This reminds me of a radio that I have:

2.jpg

It's an old shortwave radio. I haven't plugged it in for years, but the last time I tried I was able to listen to BBC Radio and some ships at sea.

imoldfashioned

Call Me a Cab
That's a great radio BeBopBaby--I could imagine it as a time machine with each of those bands being different time periods.

Archie Goodwin

One of the Regulars
carter said:
It seems to me that there was at least one comic book set in the steampunk genre. Does anyone else remember this?

I know the League comic has been mentioned, and it is much better than the movie, but another comic take on the genre was Ruse.

J. M. Stovall

Call Me a Cab
Edward said:
I was more thinking Disney.... Wasn't he only supposed to be English in Mary Poppins?

What's weird is that in Chitty Chitty Bang Bang he doesn't use an "English" accent. I always assumed it was because he hacked it up so badly in Mary Poppins they wouldn't let him try it again. ;)

Edward

Bartender
J. M. Stovall said:
What's weird is that in Chitty Chitty Bang Bang he doesn't use an "English" accent. I always assumed it was because he hacked it up so badly in Mary Poppins they wouldn't let him try it again. ;)

It's certainly possible.... I'd just assumed it was a part-way Americanisation by Disney, just as Hollywood in general Americanised a number of English stories - Pooh Bear, and Charlie and the Choclate Factory among them were totally reset, as was (away from the kids market) High Fidelity. I do joke about it, but to be fair, his turn as Bert was really nowhere near as bad as some accents I've heard come out of Hollywood. Hollywood seems to be under the misunderstanding that everyone in England either sounds like Tim Curry or Michael Caine. and don't even get me started on the Irish - the number of American movies I've seen with guys supposed to be West Belfast IRA men speaking with broad Dublin accents - that's the equivalent of making a movie about a New Yorker like Dee Dee Ramone and giving him a broad Texan drawl! lol

J. M. Stovall

Call Me a Cab
Edward said:
It's certainly possible.... I'd just assumed it was a part-way Americanisation by Disney...Hollywood seems to be under the misunderstanding that everyone in England either sounds like Tim Curry or Michael Caine. and don't even get me started on the Irish - the number of American movies I've seen with guys supposed to be West Belfast IRA men speaking with broad Dublin accents - that's the equivalent of making a movie about a New Yorker like Dee Dee Ramone and giving him a broad Texan drawl! lol

You would think it's a Disney movie, but it's actually MGM I think (my daughter likes this movie so we seem to watch it a couple of times a year).

And I was curious, how was Brad Pitts accent in Switch? I remember reading that he was concerned about being as authentic as possible.

imoldfashioned

Call Me a Cab
I was noodling around the Internet and found these Steampunkish clothing items. All from Newport News, so the quality wouldn't be Brooks Brothers by any means but the styles are fun.

coatburg.jpg

417A18BNV2L__SS500_.jpg

I'm really tempted to get this one (above)

41hys-7f6dL__SS400_.jpg

417T6BY228L__SS400_.jpg

Cutaway leather jacket

51Pc3CudM6L__AA280_.jpg

This could be really sharp if the leather weren't so cheap

41fq4JW9j1L__AA280_.jpg

Chanfan

A-List Customer
Someone already mentioned one of the Foglios, but surprisingly, didn't link to Girl Genius.

I've read Phil's comics from way back. I imagine either you will like his art style or it will put you off. I've always liked it, but I must admit, for no particularly good reason I never got around to reading Girl Genius until a few days ago. Kaja certainly brings story and plot to the table. Stayed up until 3AM reading the archives…

J. M. Stovall

Call Me a Cab
Very Steampunk Watch

Romain Jerome Titanic DNA Watch. Romain Jerome, a Swiss watchmaker has created a new timepiece called the Titanic DNA which uses parts of the actual ship in its construction. The watchface has a black dial thanks to a lacquer paint made with coal recovered from the wreck and the housing will be composed of precious metals like platinum in addition to steel procured from what’s left of the ship.

The Titanic DNA will also be limited to a run of 2,012 pieces which is significant since the year 2012 marks the 100th anniversary of the sinking of the ship.

The Romain Jerome website doesn’t list a price for the watch but given what it’s made from I can guarantee it won’t be cheap

romain_jerome_titanic_watch_2.jpg

imoldfashioned

Call Me a Cab
Haversack said:
For well-made modern clothing which would not be out of place in such a setting, there is a sub-set of traditional Germanic fashion known as Habsburg style. Some examples can be seen here:
http://www.loden-plankl.at/english/kollektion/index.htm

Haversack.

Great link Haversack. Oh, Geiger of Austria--how long have I lusted after those jackets? If I had an extra 1250 euros in my pocket this coat would be mine!

06_0826.jpg

Story

I'll Lock Up
imoldfashioned said:
I was noodling around the Internet and found these Steampunkish clothing items. All from Newport News, so the quality wouldn't be Brooks Brothers by any means but the styles are fun.

417T6BY228L__SS400_.jpg

Cutaway leather jacket

FWIW, that one's cool.

More Steampunk fashion here:

http://www.gentlemansemporium.com/mens_victorian_outfits.php?source=google&campaign=Steampunk

and here

http://community.livejournal.com/steamfashion

imoldfashioned said:
Did you ever see that photo in Vanity Fair of Dick Van Dyke and Mary Tyler Moore in leather bondage gear? I couldn't find a copy online--interesting idea but, ultimately, just...wrong!

December 1995, for those who simply must have it on their Christmas list.

Story

I'll Lock Up
Starius said:
Looking at the stuff these guyshttp://www.thefedoralounge.com/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=386556
The Fedora Lounge - Reply to Topic come up with always triggers a bunch of my own ideas.

Captain Nemo and friends need a desk lamp like this -
mainlamp.jpg

www.hoosinlampworks.com/

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy