Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Sterling with dinner?

PrettySquareGal

I'll Lock Up
Judging from ads and memories of eating at my grandmother's house, it seemed that it was more common to use sterling silver flatware with meals. I like that. Anyone here use silver on a daily basis? It seems like a nice way to dress up a meal.

David Conwill

Call Me a Cab
We're lucky if we eat at the table, lately. :( I think it's because we have a huge dining room table crammed into our tiny apartment - that and because it's right by the door and gets used as a catch-all to drop whatever we're holding as we come into the apartment.

Still, I think as Callie grows up, family dinners will become more normal.

-Dave

cassylynn

One of the Regulars
I inherited my grandmothers set of sterling flatware. I'm so nervous that something might happen to them that I only use it on special occasions..Easter, Thanksgiving, Christmas. The rest of the year it safe in it's velvet lined box.

Here's a picture, detail isn't the best....

Silver.jpg

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Have you followed the price of silver lately? If you do have sterling flatware, get it insured and lock it up!
My brother got my mom's really nice sterling when he got married, and my niece will be getting it soon.
I have a lot of plate than was passed down in the family. When I sold the old cottage in Chautauqua, that had been in thje family since 1906, I counted 43 different patterns of flatware, of which there 19 that were represented by a single utensil. I have one set in a box that's very 30's sort of deco, really just middle of the road for the era. And I have some nice Rogers plate that's just classic Victorian in style (probably fron the 1940's?), but it desperately needs replating. It's in sorry shape, but still nice. Feels nice and hefty in your hand. Pics when I find my blasted interface cable!

Lilibet

New in Town
It's better for silver flatware to use it frequently -- you don't have to polish it when you use it! There are a few things to keep in mind -- it's okay to put it in the dishwasher, but make sure it isn't touching any stainless -- a chemical reaction can occur between the silver, the washing powder and the stainless that permanently spots the stainless. Also, don't put hollow-handle pieces in, because the high heat can cause the cement that glues the handle to the piece to crack and the handle will fall off. Ditto for soaking them -- the water can soften the cement and the same thing will happen. I usually just end up washing with silver wash -- I like Hagerty's -- and storing in pacific cloth to keep the tarnish away.

Lutefisk anyone?

We tend to break out the silverware for Christmas and Easter type of events.

Big Warning:
Never use your good silver when serving Lutefisk! The chemical reaction usually turns the silverware a blue-ish color!!!

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
I have everyday sterling and special occasion family sterling, which rarely gets used these days. IMO, sterling looks much better with a patina acquired through moderate use.

Warbaby

One Too Many
If you have sterling, use it! It's beautiful and feels so much better than stainless. You could use your sterling every day for the rest of your life and you won't wear it out. And the fine scratches and patina from use are, to my eyes, much more attractive than the high polish of pieces that are never used. Why have something beautiful that you only use once or twice a year?

Back when silver was a lot cheaper than it is now, I bought sterling flatware at scrap value whenever I could as an investment against hard times or devalued fiat currency and we use it daily. In fact, our sterling and a few plated pieces are the only silverware we own.

Kassia

One of the Regulars
John in Covina said:
We tend to break out the silverware for Christmas and Easter type of events.

Big Warning:
Never use your good silver when serving Lutefisk! The chemical reaction usually turns the silverware a blue-ish color!!!

Ummm that is why there are fish sets... Don't use the good silver for anything that has acid in it.. Pickles, beets, etc... It will ruin it..
I too have vintage silver pieces.. I have the 1950's sterling silver set that my mom bought just after they got married(1953) and the silver plate that my grandmother had when my mom was a kid(1930's era stuff)... I don't use the stuff very much but sometimes we break it out for a special occasion..
I priced my mom's set about 10 years aga and it was running about $500 cdn for a 5 pc setting...
Warbaby will know when i refer to Birks silver what i mean..
I also have a set of depression era dishes that my grandfather gave to my grandmother. He worked as a projectionist and always had a job.. Every week you went to a movie you got a piece of glass.. A plate one week, an ice cream bowl the next, etc... So i have a pretty complete set of it now..
I have over the last 20 or so years added to the silverware and the glass sets and think i have about a 12 piece setting of both now... Hmmm such have a special dinner and pull it all out again...
Perhaps i'll have a nice Thanksgiving dinner this year with some close friends.

Tourbillion

Practically Family
I don't use silver every day. Except, I have to admit that I use a silver baby spoon to feed my cat though. She's spoiled.

As for silver for use with acid foods, there are some patterns that have gold-plated berry spoon/punch ladle/server etc. for that, so that they don't get damaged.

Miss Sis

One Too Many
We use a silver plate set on a day to day basis that the BF's Nana gave us when we moved in together along with more robust stainless.

I always use the plate when we have guests - it's nice to use it and it has a nice, heavy feel in the hand. It's true if you use it more often you don't have to clean it so much. That reminds me it must be time to wipe them all over. Oooo, I do hate cleaning silver, it's such a mucky job....

I inherited from my Nana a canteen of cutlery that had special spoons the size of teaspoons for eating boiled eggs that have gold plated tips to stop them tarnishing. I was fascinated by them as a child! You certainly don't see that sort of thing much anymore.

Warbaby

One Too Many
Tourbillion said:
I don't use silver every day. Except, I have to admit that I use a silver baby spoon to feed my cat though. She's spoiled.

That seems perfectly reasonable to me, Tourbillion. My cat's food and water dishes are 1930s Japanese laquer and they sit on a signed Conrad Fehn deco hammered copper tray. Why not? Cats appreciate nice things. Really they do.

shortbow

Practically Family
I grew up with the daily use of silver, ended up with only a couple of pieces after my parents died. When I got married, my wife had her grandparent's silver. After the big D, along with the house and everything else I left that with Her, save enough to feed one bachelor. I feel lucky to have had silver on my table since day one. It is my favorite metal, have no use for gold. Silver makes food taste better, is one of those things lots of people would find trivial or insignificant but to me is just a necessity.

Rosie

One Too Many
Not flatware in the least but, my mom has a sterling tea set which I want, want want. With it comes the sugar cube little tongs, a small spoon and a pie or cake cutter. Honestly, the last time I saw it it was kind of tarnished. I don't think she enjoys it as much as I do.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eve_grace