Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Stetson 100 versus Cavanagh 100

fedoralover

Call Me a Cab
I got my Stetson 100 today and comparing it to my Cavanagh 100 I have to say the Cavanagh is better, though not by much. The felt is very similar on both of them very very VERY dense. I cannot even see a fur thread on either one on them because they are pounced so fine. The Stetson feels heavier overall.

I say the Cavanagh beats it because the bow on the Cavanagh has the hidden stitches whereas the Stetson's is top stitched. Now it's hard to know if this is the same on all Stetson 100s or not, maybe some of you here that have a Stetson 100 could check just for the heck of it. Either way it's interesting to see the top of the line hats side by side. The Stetson does need a professional cleaning and reblocking though, so I will probably wait until Art is back in business again and send it to him. The felt has no major moth nibbles so at $34.00 for it and a hat box in very good condition it was a good buy.

fedoralover

dopey

One of the Regulars
fedoralover said:
. . . The felt has no major moth nibbles so at $34.00 for it and a hat box in very good condition it was a good buy.

fedoralover

That is ridiculous. It was a VERY good buy.

fedoralover

Call Me a Cab
I was just told by the Seller that the Stetson 100 had been a gift to her grandfather from the Govenor of Texas, Price Daniel, in the late 50s to early 60s. My Cavanagh 100 had also been a gift to a Senator of Maryland from a Texan in the 50s as well. Those Texans liked to give expensive hats as gifts.

regards fedoralover

fedoralover

Call Me a Cab
The Cavanagh does. It says in gold embossing "To the honorable Glenn Beall from a Texan". However the Stetson just has the owners intials imprinted on the sweat band.

regards fedoralover

fedoralover

Call Me a Cab
Well, that must be him. The hat supposedly came from his estate and it does have his name and the story line matches. Thanks for the research feltfan. It's amazing what you can pick up on ebay.

regards and thanks fedoralover

fedoralover

Call Me a Cab
Here's an inside look at the Cavanagh just to show I'm not B.S.ing

IMG_0334.jpg

fedoralover

fedoralover

Call Me a Cab
The Dobbs 55 I had was very nice, but honestly the 100s are indeed a nicer felt. I traded the Dobbs 55 to fedora along with a few others I wasn't wearing for my custom black 100% beaver fedora.

regards fedoralover

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24