Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Stetson Authentic X's

rlk

I'll Lock Up
!BmeuzGw!2k~$(KGrHqYOKjQEtliu(D70BLfuF8yE1g~~_3.JPG

rcinlv

One of the Regulars
Wow!

Those appear to be X's alright. Hey, wait... how do I know that they are, in fact, authentic? [huh]

Cheers,

RC

fluteplayer07

One Too Many
Interesting, but what in the world does it mean? It has 200% beaver in it? A marketing gimmick? And is the hat vintage? (I assume so) I'm curious to see the background on this guy.

Kangfish

Familiar Face
I asked a guy at Stetson (don't remember his name) point blank what the Xes meant and he said he"chooses not to devulge the secret of their blend". Sooo... I guess it's true that it can mean whatever they want it to. Seems like it would be something they'd want to brag about if it really meant anything good. Just my thoughts which along with a dollar would be worth a buck. - KF

Topdog

Familiar Face
200 of them alright!

How many of you , like myself, actually counted the x's in the band? Yep there are 200 of them (small x), 1 large X and 1 x's

theinterchange

One Too Many
Kangfish said:
I asked a guy at Stetson (don't remember his name) point blank what the Xes meant and he said he"chooses not to devulge the secret of their blend". Sooo... I guess it's true that it can mean whatever they want it to.

Sounds eerily like a conversation I had with a rep for a fishing rod company about the graphite content on one of their rods.

And I got the same feeling, the count claims are what they make 'em.

Randy

bolthead

My Mail is Forwarded Here
theinterchange said:
Sounds eerily like a conversation I had with a rep for a fishing rod company about the graphite content on one of their rods.

And I got the same feeling, the count claims are what they make 'em.

Randy
Hey Randy, here's a plug for our very own "CaneRodMaker". You should seriously look into one of these Bamboo gems man. :rolleyes:

Stan

A-List Customer
Hi,

I gave up on the whole 'x' thing long ago. You could say I said "To ex with it!", but then maybe no one would like that pun! :eek:

Actually, I think it's inflation. Now, it's 200 x's but if we used an 'x' inflation calculator like we do with money, we'd find that in 1950 this was a 2X hat! lol

Well, that's my lovely theory, anyway! It's as good as anything else! lol

later!

Stan

suitedcboy

One Too Many
200x are beaver and mink. 500x are beaver and chinchilla.
I'm not sure what the claim is for 1000x Stetsons.

I have 100x, 200x, and 500x Stetson westerns and I can't tell any real difference between the 100 and 200 versions but the 500 has a better leather for the sweatband and the felt does feel VERY nice.
The felt on all of them is stiff in the western way but the 500 is thinner but still has held its shape and feel through moderate amounts of wear.

I think the X inflation really got bad when they sold all their silver beaver pelts and the Federal X Reserve lost its true value base. They just started printing X's at will. lol

johnnycanuck

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Everyone knows X marks the spot. But 200 X's? Really? Thats just a cry for help. Maybe just a little bit desperate.lol

Johnny

HATCO

Vendor
To quote Aaron from Aaron Hats "...They're simply a way to designate the different quality levels within a given brand. You can't compare a Stetson 4X to a Bailey 4X but you can see and feel the difference between a Stetson 4X, 10X, 20X, etc. The X ratings have never been and never will be an industry standard for everyone to follow.."

if you want to read the whole thread start here:

http://thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?t=33093

zetwal

I'll Lock Up
suitedcboy said:
200x are beaver and mink. 500x are beaver and cashmere.
I'm not sure what the claim is for 1000x Stetsons.

According to some websites the Stetson 500X is beaver and chinchilla, so too the 1000X. I haven't yet found mink mentioned in connection with the 200X. Other sites say that the 200X may be beaver and sable (or beaver and cashmere depending on the model). It seems to me that all this can change year to year and model to model. Where are you getting your information on the various blends?

http://www.allsands.com/history/events/stetsonhat_zym_gn.htm
http://www.sortprice.com/search-OC-Highest-Men's_Hats
http://www.stetsonhat.com/products_detail.php?id=257

Stan

A-List Customer
Hi,

I've also seen where the 'x' designation has been used to denote the level of finish sanding done to the body. As in a 1000x means 1000 grit, and 2000x means 2000 grit and so on.

Again, just a way for a maker to denote the levels within their particular offerings.

Where it gets confusing for me is when hats are from the same maker, but from different eras, and the 'x' ratings have changed but I don't know exactly which era a given hat is from. This is why I gave up on the whole idea. [huh]

If I went into a modern store and looked at modern hats, so I know the era for once, then I might slip back into using the 'x' system as part of my comparison for hats from the same maker. But, then, I'd probably just use my senses since, again for once, both those *and* the hats would be in the same place at the same time when I was making a buying decision! lol

later!

Stan

suitedcboy

One Too Many
zetwal said:
According to some websites the Stetson 500X is beaver and chinchilla, so too the 1000X. I haven't yet found mink mentioned in connection with the 200X. Other sites say that the 200X may be beaver and sable (or beaver and cashmere depending on the model). It seems to me that all this can change year to year and model to model. Where are you getting your information on the various blends?

I was going by memory of what was stamped in my hats as the text is worn off most of my westerns.
I did go look and the Stetson 500X that I have worn very little and it does have beaver and chinchilla on it. I have a Resistol 100x Cattle Baron that lists beaver and cashmere. I have a Bailey Black Russian 200x that lists beaver and sable.
I edited my post to change the 500X from cashmere to chinchilla.

I have a well worn Stetson 200x that I believe had the beaver and mink text in the middle of its 200 x's stamped in front of sweatband but only a couple of rows of x's remain and there is no trace of what was once printed there.

cmalbrecht

Familiar Face
X's

When I first began researching x's, the best info I could find at the time was that each x represents the fur from one beaver. Thus 5x meant that five beavers gave up their fur (and apparently their lives) to make a 5x hat. I bought this for some time because my first vintage hat was a triple x, and the second a quintuple x.

But since that time, I note that hats seem to be arbitrarily labled with xs that don'r really mean anything. I mean, a 200X hat! I picked up a premium wool 2x western hat at a flea market, and it doesn't have any fur in it at all, unless you count sheep wool!

I always thought beaver was the only real way to go, but I know that many fine European hats are made from Belgian hare (which is really a rabbit) and nutria and all sorts of materials. We've all seen the old prospecter wearing not only a coonskin cap, but a skunkskin cap as well.

From now on, I'm not going to worry about the x's. If I like the damned thing, and it fits, wonderful. Of course I have to get all that past my wife, you understand. She's patient, but doesn't really understand. lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran