Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Stetson Box

TomS

One Too Many
Hi folks:
I recently picked-up this stetson box. Would any of the experts here have an idea of the vintage? It had a badly mouth bitten clunker in it and the hat appeared to be from the 50's, if that's a help. I appreciate any assistance you guys can offer!
Thanks,
TomS
StetsonHatsBoxes007.jpg

zetwal

I'll Lock Up
Sometimes the box and the hat it contains are from the same period, quite often they are not. If you post the hat, Loungers will help you date that too. ;)

zetwal said:
Sometimes the box and the hat it contains are from the same period, quite often they are not. If you post the hat, Loungers will help you date that too. ;)

A point worth making over and over again. I've come across numerous uninformed sellers, both online and in the "real" world, who are of the apparent belief that the hat and box they are peddling as a pair have been married their entire lives. At least as often as not (in my admittedly anecdotal but nonetheless fairly extensive experience) the hat and its box have something more resembling an April-November relationship.

feltfan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I certainly rotate my hats through various boxes.
If I were run over by a bus today and someone else
sold my hats, almost none would match their box.
I just have more hats than boxes. Some are hanging
out downstairs so I can wear them. Others stay in
boxes upstairs. I rotate with seasons and whim.

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
tonyb said:
A point worth making over and over again. I've come across numerous uninformed sellers, both online and in the "real" world, who are of the apparent belief that the hat and box they are peddling as a pair have been married their entire lives. At least as often as not (in my admittedly anecdotal but nonetheless fairly extensive experience) the hat and its box have something more resembling an April-November relationship.

...and that has apparently always been the case. I once purchased a ca.1915 hat that was in a ca.1930-35 box, that the owner thought had always been together, and maybe they had been together for 75 years.

Stan

A-List Customer
Hi,

Other than my two custom-made hats, which don't really count here, I only have one hat in it's original box. The *only* way I know that they go together is that it's an off-brand: a Tanbark Open Road clone that came in a Tanbark box. Now, it *is* possible that those were not originally together, but I think I'm fairly safe to presume that they were.....

Now, I happen to have a couple Stetsons in Stetson boxes, and Resistols in Resistol boxes, and even a Cavanagh in a Cavanagh box. But, I'm the one that put those hats into those boxes.

In fact, the mess was originally mixed up with the Cavanagh coming in a Stetson box, etc. Weird, actually. But, if someone were to look at them today, they'd presume that all the hats and boxes matched. :eusa_doh:

Now, I have a box for each of my hats, but the bulk of the boxes are simple plain white boxes that I bought from Dorfman Pacific.

Later!

Stan

TomS

One Too Many
Thanks you guys, I appreciate the help! The wealth of knowledge here is amazing. I can see how this hobby can "get in your blood" as it were!
Best,
TomS

TomS

One Too Many
gtdean48 said:
Most of my vintage Stetson hat boxes, pre-1960s, are all round, except for that Stratoliner which is oblong.

Thanks, Tom. I appreciate the info.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shiny hats