Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Stetson Going Hipster?

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up
I wouldn't believe a thing he says. Though I'd pay to hear him say it. Didn't know about Malcolm and Pharrell tho.

the hat that Pharrell recently made famous was designed by Vivienne Westwood and worn by Malcolm and the Supreme Team in his early 80s video for Buffalo Gals and in press photos

buffallo.jpg

[video=youtube;-DeTR8n7eTU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-DeTR8n7eTU[/video]

Edward

Bartender
Well, Punk, as in Punk Rock, was arguably a fashion/music movement from the beginning. Malcolm MacClaren, who created the Sex Pistols, was a fashion dude, if I recall correctly.

Malcolm was an art school type (he attended several, though I'm not sure whether he graduated from any of them). Very entertaining fellow, never let the truth get in the way of a good story. He got into the fashion industry in the early 70s, following a spell mismanaging the New York Dolls, and ran a shop with then-partner Vivienne Westwood. Westwood is credited with creating the visual style of early punk rock, though the London scene had a very different look to Manchester and elsewhere in Britain; in Northern Ireland, bands were moe influenced by the New York scene, which, arguably, invented punk earlier anyhow: the Ramones were pretty much fully-formed as a concept when they played their first gig in CBGBs in '74...

As to the look, it's a matter of fact that both Malcom and Vivienne (among other punk notables: Toyah was a huge fan and modelled her early image on Nell Campbell's Columbia) saw the Rocky Horror Show during its King's Road run, some time during 73/74, and their (never acknowledged) debt to Sue Blaine's iconic costume designs is very clear indeed.

Old Talcy Malcy always claimed to have "invented" punk rock, but reality veers somewhat away from that. I've always believed myself that it was something in the ether that just had to happen... certainly it's pretty much impossible to pin it down to any one moment, thing or person. What he did have, of course, was a superb eye for how to court controversy in order to gain attention, from which the Pistols benefitted enormously. It was also their undoing, of course, as it lead to Matlock, a key part of the original songwriting team, leaving and being repalced by Sid Vicious, who was only ever - as Lydon rightly puts it - "a coathanger" in the operation.

truth

though John Lydon vehemently denies this

Malcolm is still dictating fashion trends ... see Pharrells headwear

well ... he and Vivienne Westwood anyway :)

Lydon's wardrobe was very much his own choice. They certainly did give him free run of Sex / Seditionaries to choose what he wanted, though frequently he adapted it, removing sleeves, doing other things with it. Not always ending up with the design as intended by Westwood. I do sometimes wonder if she had an influence on his love of tweed in later life, though, Westwood having long been known for her love of using 'British' textiles in her work. What always made Lydon distinct and stand out from his peers in clothing choices was that he never cared for jeans, even in the late seventies preferring high-waisted, 40s/50s tyle trews. Also had a fondness for many elements of Teddy Boy dress, and refused to be put off wearing it by tribal allegiances.

I wouldn't believe a thing he says. Though I'd pay to hear him say it. Didn't know about Malcolm and Pharrell tho.

The Buffalo Gals tribute is noted above. I believe it also came out in a discussion on TFL the day after he wore that hat at the Grammys. The rest of the outfit was also a replication of what some of the folks in Maclaren's video for that number were wearing. I wouldn't call a tribute 'dictated' by the then already dead Talcy Malcy, but it was certainly 'influeced'.

On the subject of truth, you'll get a lot more of that from Lydon than you ever would have from Malcy, bless 'im.

omgur2

New in Town
I haven't read through all the posts so excuse me if this has been said already but... A gentleman I work with once worked for Boleman hats, He says that Stetson has not made many, if any of their own hats for years (All contract work) and that Boleman made a number of styles for them when he was there in the 90s. I have learned a great deal from him regarding quality and what to pay for hats when i have the urge to buy a new one. He says he has a closet full of unfinished hats and other samples at his house and someday when he gets a chance to look through them will look for my size. Man I hope that happens soon.

I see some pictures of Pharrell Williams on internet, with conventional Fedoras or summer-hats and I think, he looks very good with these classics!

I haven't read through all the posts so excuse me if this has been said already but... A gentleman I work with once worked for Boleman hats, He says that Stetson has not made many, if any of their own hats for years (All contract work) and that Boleman made a number of styles for them when he was there in the 90s. I have learned a great deal from him regarding quality and what to pay for hats when i have the urge to buy a new one. He says he has a closet full of unfinished hats and other samples at his house and someday when he gets a chance to look through them will look for my size. Man I hope that happens soon.

Well, something's going on in that factory in Garland!

https://instagram.com/p/7EEv8Dott2/?taken-by=mattdeckard

RBH

Bartender

They were making hats back during the 2011 FedoraFest...

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?55126-FEDORAFEST-III-photos

Some photo links no longer work...but still some great photos of the Stetson plant.

facade

A-List Customer
Well, something's going on in that factory in Garland!

https://instagram.com/p/7EEv8Dott2/?taken-by=mattdeckard

Hatco is not owned or in any way related to Stetson. They have simply paid for the use of the name and logos. Stetson is simply a brand name that is for rent to anyone with enough cash. If you or I wanted to make Stetson toilet paper we could, provided we paid Stetson Worldwide for the privilege.

The remaining Stetson company simply pimps out the use of John B.'s name. That is all they do. They do not make hats, perfume, or bourbon. They sell the use of the Stetson brand to unrelated companies, like Hatco, who think it will help their sales.

Last edited:

Justdog

Practically Family
Of course that is the hook , the Stetson name. But personally having just bought a 2015 quality Stetson I am satisfied. Having vintage and having one of the new hats it seems the quality is there on my particular model. If promotion of the hat benefits that's all good. I am one who respects all individual expressions of style. If Stetson can fill that niche that's great. Like another reply stated, If it allows the production of the stuff we like that is great as well. I am very happy with the 100 percent beaver pinnacle I bought. So as long as everyone gets what they want I am for that. America has at its core freedom of expression, yes?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ALittleBitOfCompany