Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Stetson Hampton and Chatham

Thunderbolt

One of the Regulars
I'm looking into getting a fedora from Stetson but I'm not sure which to get, a Hampton or a Chatham. I have seen plenty of good pictures of the Chatham but only one picture of the Hampton and it was too dark to see anything. Does anyone know the difference between these two hats? The only difference I know of is that the Hampton has a bound edge and the Chatham has a feather, while the Chatham has no bound edge and the Hampton has no feather. Also the colors confuse me. Is charcoal and graphite the same color, a sort of dark gray? I've seen graphite range between black and a medium gray. What does sage look like? Being paticular about colors is tough when dealing with computers!! What is the difference between Sovereign quality and Royal quality? What is the Comfort Sweat feature? Something to do with the sweat band I'm guessing. I wish I didn't have to look for hats online, but there are no hat shops in the hippie town I live in.

riccardo

Practically Family
Thanks to Sharpetoys.

Thunderbolt said:
I'm looking into getting a fedora from Stetson but I'm not sure which to get, a Hampton or a Chatham. I have seen plenty of good pictures of the Chatham but only one picture of the Hampton and it was too dark to see anything. Does anyone know the difference between these two hats? The only difference I know of is that the Hampton has a bound edge and the Chatham has a feather, while the Chatham has no bound edge and the Hampton has no feather. Also the colors confuse me. Is charcoal and graphite the same color, a sort of dark gray? I've seen graphite range between black and a medium gray. What does sage look like? Being paticular about colors is tough when dealing with computers!! What is the difference between Sovereign quality and Royal quality? What is the Comfort Sweat feature? Something to do with the sweat band I'm guessing. I wish I didn't have to look for hats online, but there are no hat shops in the hippie town I live in.
Hi,
Sharpetoys advice me to take a look on this site:
http://www.getahaton.com/proddetail.php?prod=TF32102323.CHAT
I e-mailed and aaron gave me a prompt answer.
Try to do the same.

Regards.
Riccardo.

Prairie Shade

A-List Customer
Stetson Stuff

Lets see if I can cover some of these items since Im always at the Outlet. I dont know about the two styles you mention. Graphite is a medium gray in the hats I have seen (Dexter). The Comfort Sweatband: Stetson introduced this a few years ago. I just bought a Gaylord in Putty and it has the comfort sweatband. It is not animal, its not vegetable, I really dont know what it is but it is extremely comfortable (to me). It is also very absorbent which is good but perspiration will come thru to the crown of the hat faster. All in all, if I had a choice of their standard sweat band or a comfort, I would take the comfort in a minute. They could definately do better on sweatbands than the ones they use. I like the Dexter real well for a larger, newer, hat but the Outlet has most all and is the main source of my hat looking for wear in the rain hats (and get your head wet). For $45.00 I can get just about any model I want, and have. Dont forget to look at vintage unless you've just got a craving for a certain Stetson. By the way, where do you live that hippies dont wear hats? Not even Grateful Dead Hats?

Bebop

Practically Family
Good question. I live in a "hippie town" and have several hat shops. On second thought, I guess I live in what USED to be a "hippie city" (San Francisco). S.F. has changed alot and now it is a city with "hippie sections" but mainly it is a city for the affluent, liberal crowds and pockets of closeted conservatives. Some of them used to be hippies and others roll their eyes at anything "hippie".
Did not mean to veer off the subject. A "town" may not have a hat shop. I too have eyed the Chatham and wondered how acurate the colors are on the computer screen. To some hat makers graphite is almost black and to others it seems to be a darkish grey.

Thunderbolt

One of the Regulars
I live in Olympia WA. The city council recently sent an apology note to Japan for the 60th Ann. of the Hiroshima bombing. But anyway, there used to be a hat shop but it closed down. Not enough business. Something to do with it selling goods with animal fibers in it. Thanks for the replies. I like the shape of the Chatham and the Hampton. I think they are the same hat but not sure. The pictures I see of the Hampton are always too dark. I know its a fedora with a teardrop crown and a pinched front with a gap like the Chatham. Any subtle difference they might have I can't see due to the Hampton's dark pictures. What do you all think of the bound ege though? Good or bad?

besdor

Vendor/Sponsor
The Chatham by Stetson is a raw edge hat made in the soverign quality with a 2 3/8 " brim . I have also seen it with a 2 3/4" brim . The Hampton is a silk finish hat with a bound edge .Same teardrop crown but different finish .

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grateful Fred