Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Stetson IJ Hat

AndrewGWU

Familiar Face
I found a gray stetson Indiana Jones hat at a local thrift store today. It was in the box. It has a cloth band and a yellow IJ liner. Searching the forum and sites I have seen some with a yellow sticker inside, but this has a very yellow liner. It is sized 7 3/8 as opposed to the M or L sizes some of the IJ hats are and is fur felt.

From what I read these came out in 1984 and was produced by stetson for the Temple of Doom movie in a few different colors. It has an IJ emblem on the bow of the ribbon.

Any idea what it is worth? I thought about buying it, but was unsure with the cloth headband if it was worth anything much.

Also, any other information would be appreciated. The more I think about it the more I want to go back and get it.

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
Don't know what it's worth, but I know it's certainly worth $25, if you like it. I got the exact same IJ hat back in 1984, grey, 7 3/8, cloth sweatband, and wore the heck out of it for years.

Brad

Rick Blaine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
AndrewGWU said:
I found a gray stetson Indiana Jones hat at a local thrift store today. It was in the box. It has a cloth band and a yellow IJ liner. Searching the forum and sites I have seen some with a yellow sticker inside, but this has a very yellow liner. It is sized 7 3/8 as opposed to the M or L sizes some of the IJ hats are and is fur felt.

From what I read these came out in 1984 and was produced by stetson for the Temple of Doom movie in a few different colors. It has an IJ emblem on the bow of the ribbon.

Any idea what it is worth? I thought about buying it, but was unsure with the cloth headband if it was worth anything much.

Also, any other information would be appreciated. The more I think about it the more I want to go back and get it.

I think I paid about $35 - $50 about three years ago for the selfsame on eBay. Unfortunately it was routed to a former address & never seen again! :rage: There is an eBayer in St. Joe, Mo., home of the former Stetson factory, that has been selling NOS Stetson Indys (leather sweats) he dug up somewhere,for some quite respectable prices. So lemmee know if you choose to purchase & part w/ it. :D

Not-Bogart13

Call Me a Cab
Yeah, they may not be super-valuable, but if you can grab one up cheap, you can probably turn a profit. They are, I feel, the best licensed Indy hats ever made, except for that REALLY expensive one that's out now. I wanted one of these SOOOO bad when I was a kid, but the big price tag kept me away. :(

cptjeff

Practically Family
Not-Bogart13 said:
Yeah, they may not be super-valuable, but if you can grab one up cheap, you can probably turn a profit. They are, I feel, the best licensed Indy hats ever made, except for that REALLY expensive one that's out now. I wanted one of these SOOOO bad when I was a kid, but the big price tag kept me away. :(

Come to think of it, who does make the all beaver licensed ones? Are those Adventurebilts?

Dewhurst

Practically Family
cptjeff said:
Come to think of it, who does make the all beaver licensed ones? Are those Adventurebilts?

No, AB did the actual screen/prop hats.

The officially licensed, pure beaver Indiana Jones hats are, I believe, produced by a company in Texas called The Milano Hat Company. At least I think they are based in Texas, I can't remember now.

AndrewGWU

Familiar Face
Thanks guys.....

I think I may pick it up this week (it is about 20 min away). I can always get rid of it here or on the bay if I don't care for it and get at least my $25 back.

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
I had one of those mid-80s fur-felt Stetson Indys. Apart from the cloth sweatband (which seemed weird for such an otherwise well-made hat), it was outstanding, with soft but tough felt. I wore it for about five years until I went up a size, and it handled the elements very well.

Then I gave it to my kids for costume use... and it got lost in the divorce. So it goes.

Not-Bogart13

Call Me a Cab
cptjeff said:

Adventurebilts are not licensed, but they have the right to use the name in selling the reproductions. They also made the actual hats for Indy 4.

I don't recall the actual maker of the beaver licensed hat, but I think they are selling under the Dorfman Pacific label. U.S. Wings carries it at the best price I have found so far. Even Steve Delk of Adventurebilt has said they aren't bad, but they still don't look like the real thing. For the price, a custom hat could be had. [huh]

Dewhurst

Practically Family
Not-Bogart13 said:
I don't recall the actual maker of the beaver licensed hat, but I think they are selling under the Dorfman Pacific label.

You know, I've never had the opportunity to look inside one of the licensed pure beaver hats being produced by The Milano Hat Company and so I have no idea how they are branded!

Not-Bogart13

Call Me a Cab
They might have a Milano tag or logo inside. I've never seen inside, either. But they are marketed as DP's. A shame, really. I think it would sell better if they didn't do that. :rolleyes:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24