Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Stetson "Nostalgia"? (now with pics)

Craig Robertson

One of the Regulars
MK said:
No offense taken. It's only silly people like myself....and a lot of guys here.....who scrutinize such details.:icon_smil

I admit it. We're obsessed with the details.

Fair enough and well spoken. I would have to admit that, when it comes to musical instruments, I have my own obsessive approach. This leads to my playing sounding better, so I don't mind it.

I suppose you could say that an obsession with hat details leads to a person looking better and therefore acting more confident.

Okay, I can buy that.

I'm vacationing in the White Mountains area of New Hampshire this week and I hope to stop by Aaron Hats and check out his Stetson Nostalgia in person.

HATCO

Vendor
GWD said:
HATCO, are all the colors you listed available for the Nostalgia or just the three listed in the PDF Catalog?

Just the three. At the moment if you wanted another color I think a store would have to order a minimum of 24 hats. BESDOR would know better.

besdor

Vendor/Sponsor
I am assuming that Carabou Gray will be offered by all of the vendors as this is the nicest color . Black would also be important. I dont remember what the third color is but I would assume that it would be mink brown or tan .

Steven
www.bencrafthats.com

Not-Bogart13

Call Me a Cab
carldelo said:
I tried the Windham last winter - I agree that the contrasting brim ribbon was not to my liking. I liked the picture, but found I didn't particularly care for the bash once I had it on my head. Also, it was my impression that the crown was somewhat tapered - in the end I wound up buying something else. But JTMarcus has one and looks good in it as I recall.

I also tried a Windham, in black. I like it, and it gets a lot of compliments. The brim edge is very unusual, and has a black binding on the black felt. The tapered crown bothered me at first, but I find it makes the black look less formal. It is completely different from the Nostalgia, except that the felt is the same. And I like this particular felt.

carter

I'll Lock Up

HATCO

Vendor
Vacation

I don't think this deserves it's own thread so I'm posting it only in threads that I'm active in. I'll be on vacation starting Friday. I'm traveling overseas spending time with my kids. I'm not going to have a lot of internet access, so I apologize in advance. I will be back on the 22nd. I'm clearing my PM. So if you have a question I suggest you send it there.

gandydancer

Familiar Face
This is an interesting thread because back just before Easter, I was looking for a new hat in medium gray. My local Western Ware store had the new Stetson Catalog and I almost had them order me a Nostalgia, but in the end I had them order an Akubra Squatter instead. As I liked the taller crown, wider brim, and self colored ribbon and binding. Maybe that was a wise decision as I would apparently still be waiting on the Stetson. However it does sound like the Nostalgia is a very nice hat.

BTW, the Squatter gets more favorable comments than any hat I have owned, I did a classic fedora center crease and deep triangular pinch on it.

Stoney

Practically Family
carter said:
I went to the HATCO Outlet store in Garland last week. No Stetson Nostalgias on hand. I did pick up a 7 3/8 Pinnacle (100% Beaver) in mink that is going to another member of the FL.

Looked up Steson Nostalgia online and recommend checking this site: http://www.indyfan.com/xmarks/
Scroll down about 1/4 page.

Has anyone purchased a Stetson Retro Panama for summer ?

http://www.delmonicohatter.com/Merc...PROD&Product_Code=IT545&Category_Code=Stetson

Nice Carter!

I enjoyed the reference to Stark and Legum, located on Granby street in Norfolk, It's less than a mile from where I work and they do have a wide selection of hats there. Unfortunately they no longer do repairs since the guy that was doing them retired [huh].

HATCO

Vendor
gandydancer said:
This is an interesting thread because back just before Easter, I was looking for a new hat in medium gray. My local Western Ware store had the new Stetson Catalog and I almost had them order me a Nostalgia, but in the end I had them order an Akubra Squatter instead. As I liked the taller crown, wider brim, and self colored ribbon and binding. Maybe that was a wise decision as I would apparently still be waiting on the Stetson. However it does sound like the Nostalgia is a very nice hat.

BTW, the Squatter gets more favorable comments than any hat I have owned, I did a classic fedora center crease and deep triangular pinch on it.

I haven't left yet!

The catalog you looked at which in theory, but not in practice is for buyers of stores and not necessarily store customers.....was the Fall 2008 catalog.

More or less new hats that are shown aren't shipped until the fall 2008 season. This is more an issue for western hats but it affects the dress as well.

We design a lot of new hats every year. We'd like to think each hat will be a success. Some aren't. It wouldn't be smart on our part to purchase silver buckle sets, weave specialty linings or buy thousands of yards of grosgrain ribbon only to have stores not interested in it. Then we've wasted a lot of money. So we make samples. We show them in the catalog, we show them to stores. If we get enough orders by a certain cutoff date we start making the hats. If we don't get enough orders we go back to the stores and say hey there aren't enough orders to make the hats at the price we quoted. You want to pay more or do you want to order something else?

Hats that are carryovers from past seasons don't run into this problem.

In theory thats how it is supposed to work, and I know there are exceptions to the rule.

Feraud

Bartender
Just to answer a request, both the Knox and Stetson shown below have 1/2" binding.

Feraud said:
For reference here is a Knox and Stetson with bound brims.
Picture5675.jpg

Picture5589.jpg

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
(Photos) Stetson Nostalgia...

This is the new Stetson "Nostalgia" and overall I'm very impressed. The feel of the felt is 'very' similar to that of my vintage Royal Stetson 'Whippet' (which I hasten to add, I adore!). Soft felt, but with enough (bite) tension to it to hold a decent shape (and in practical terms fend off a rain shower!)

This one is in the colour description of 'Caribou' which I would call 'gunmetal grey.' The unbound edge 'could' benefit from being bound, and a slightly narrower ribbon 'would' raise the crown, but I'm nit-picking here and we all have our little foibles when it comes to 'what' makes 'us' look good in a hat, rather than what makes a great hat ;) MK got it right (in my opinion) with the brown sweat and white liner (this one is black liner and black sweat with gold lettering - so from a practical point of view won't show any hair oil staining 'as much.'). The decoration of a few exotic feathers tucked behind the bow is a nice touch tipping a nod to the days when men carried swords and threw cloaks over puddles for the ladies ;)
ALL-IN-ALL, Stetson have got themselves a winner here coming in on a middle price bracket hat with the features of a more expensive one (and what a full range of colour options too!! can't be bad), and certainly bringing back to life some lovely vintage features that have been dying out lately with high street hatters.
(I was in Locks in Jermyn Street, London. last week and boy are some of the prestige hatters losing their focus - sad to say. So this little baby from Stetson is 'very' encouraging and sends a message to the likes of 'us' to contact the hatters and let them know just what 'you' would want them to be producing in the future).:eusa_clap

StetsonCheaney011-1.jpg

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
Paddy -- What is the width of the ribbon on the crown? Looks like a nice lid -- but I think it would benefit from a narrower ribbon. This is, of course, a very subjective area, but I think the lid would look a bit more balanced if the ribbon were not as wide.

Cheers,
JtL

Not-Bogart13

Call Me a Cab
I love the wide ribbon (sorry fellas). They are far too rare these days. And that review and those pictures tell me I must have one. I just want to wait and see what the bound edge version looks like.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Espasoner