Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Stetson or not Stetson?

Jayessgee

Familiar Face
I got these hats a long time ago. But, I understand Stetson got bought out, closed it's doors or something else. I don't know which, I just know that thee Stetson that was synonymous with the old West is no more.

I was just wondering if these were "real" Stetsons.

The first two images, the "Stetsonian is my oldest. I got it in the 1980s. as I did the 3rd & 4th images, the gray "Indiana Jones" Stetson. Frankly, I think the first is more reminiscent of Indie's fine fedora. It has that larger brim typical of that era.

The last 4 images are of a "vintage" hat we got one of my sons off ebay. There was no history to the hat.

P1040844.JPG P1040845.JPG Gray Indie Stetson 01.JPG Gray Indie Stetson 02.JPG
Ben's hat 01.JPG Ben's hat 02.JPG Ben's hat inside II.JPG Ben's hat ribbon medallion.JPG

Alexander Sommerset

One of the Regulars
The original Stetson family sold out at the end of the 60s and the original Philly plant was closed down. The name was sold to (I think) two companies after that. The Indiana Jones hats Stetson made (they had something like 5 or 6 different models in 1984) was nothing even close to any hat actually worn in the films.

The vintage may have been made in Philadelphia. The Indiana Jones is from the 80s at least. Did you purchase the Stetsonian new in the 80s or used?

There are members on the FL that don't and won't own a Stetson produced after the original company went out of business. It is true that Stetson is a "brand name" now, put on various things like clothing and fragrances. However, the hats produced in Garland are produced by folks who have been making hats for quite some time and, at least since Mr. Deckard took over, Stetson has tried to "up their game." Are they "real" Stetsons? Is Budweiser still Budweiser?

I tend to stay away from Stetsons from 1970 - 2000 or so. I think my oldest "new" Stetson is 2010, and it's pretty good. The newer lids they are making (I have two 150th Anniversary products) are darn nice, though.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo