Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Stetson Standard Quality Hats

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
This just arrived - I've only seen a few vintage hats this close to pristine, so thought I'd show it off. I've only seen a few 'Standard Quality' Stetsons, so please add yours here as well, if you are so inclined.

Today I also received a couple of books with loads of photos of vintage Stetson hats - very highly recommend the following one if you have any interest in Stetson history:

Stetson Hats & the John B Stetson Company

The jet-black felt is pristine - 2 3/8" brim with very slight curl. Sweatband has a few minor scratches and the one slight tear shown above the store stamp. Crown is 5.5" un-bashed, and flat. The ribbon really looks too new to be vintage, but since the rest of the hat does as well, perhaps it's original.

StestonStdFrontUnB.jpg

StestonStdFront.jpg

StestonStdSideUnB.jpg

StetsonStdLiner.jpg

StetsonStdLnrLabel.jpg

StetsonStdSweatStamps.jpg

StestonStdSweatSeam.jpg

handlebar bart

Call Me a Cab
Now that is sharp. I love that wide beefy ribbon and the bash you put on that baby. Thats what all black hats want to look like.:eusa_clap

CRH

Call Me a Cab
Those Standard Quality sweats just knock me out - without have even ever sniffed or touched one....

:eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
billysmom said:
Scott -

I'm so happy for you! I know you've been looking for the perfect black fedora for a long time.:) :) :)

Sue

Thanks Sue. A nice black fedora has been tough to find. This one is a 7 1/4 + 1/16, which is my exact size. This search is over, and lucky for my pocket, there are no others planned...except for a 'Boss of the Plains' like Dinerman's...and a navy blue Playboy like Gene's...and...:eusa_doh:

I found a list of what various marketing designations meant for westerns, but nothing yet for these pre-40s dress hats. The felt on this one is extremely similar to a 1950's 'Royal', but it's not as soft as the 1940's 'Royal'

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
RBH said:
I love the crease you put in it!
Now lets see it on!

Thanks Rusty. It's the crease it came with - like the hat Johnny Depp wore in "Public Enemies". I wore it out this evening, but couldn't get a decent picture - the ribbon washes out. This is the best I can do:

StetsonStdMe.jpg

DOUGLAS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Absolutely beautiful Scott. Looks like your quest is over. Congrats man!!

HarpPlayerGene

I'll Lock Up
ScottF said:
Thanks Rusty. It's the crease it came with - like the hat Johnny Depp wore in "Public Enemies". I wore it out this evening, but couldn't get a decent picture - the ribbon washes out. This is the best I can do:

StetsonStdMe.jpg

Oh man, that REALLY works! Looks even better on than I thought it would. Great photography of the hat itself, by the way.

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
ScionPI2005 said:
That one looks fantastic! Great job on the picture too.

Thanks for the compliments. I have a very difficult time photographing black hats - involves a lot of photo editing to get the colors right. It's really a shame that that we can't share with others what these hats really look like, with the exception of a few photographers like fff, whose work is simply amazing. If you haven't seen his Akubra photos, you need to check them out.

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
I've got to find one of these in my size. I guess it's the era more than the quality designation, but man, these are some of my favorites.

i-love-this-thread-so-much.jpg

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
jimmy the lid said:
Nice couple of entries there, rlk. I really like the felt on the import.

Cheers,
JtL
:arated: Okay, now I remember the brown one - I would guess early '40s, but given we've seen ca. 1940 Royal's, and I don't think there was an overlap, this must be late '30s?

So what was the progression of marketing designations for Stetson dress hats? I thought it was 'Standard','Select',etc., followed by 'Royal'. With the circular sweatband stamp, this one would be toward the end of the 'Standard' usage?

rlk - could you post a pic of the bow on the brown one?

(I'm just throwing stuff at the wall and hoping it sticks)

BobC

My Mail is Forwarded Here
ScottF said:
This just arrived - I've only seen a few vintage hats this close to pristine, so thought I'd show it off. I've only seen a few 'Standard Quality' Stetsons, so please add yours here as well, if you are so inclined.

Today I also received a couple of books with loads of photos of vintage Stetson hats - very highly recommend the following one if you have any interest in Stetson history:

Stetson Hats & the John B Stetson Company

The jet-black felt is pristine - 2 3/8" brim with very slight curl. Sweatband has a few minor scratches and the one slight tear shown above the store stamp. Crown is 5.5" un-bashed, and flat. The ribbon really looks too new to be vintage, but since the rest of the hat does as well, perhaps it's original.

StestonStdFront.jpg

Beautiful, Scott. Congratulations on finding that one.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner