Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Stetson Stratoliner Milan {modern}

carldelo

One Too Many
Thanks, but that won't work in Canada. I see they also have a minimum order of $100.00 before they will ship Internationally. (Buying Akubras is so much easier)

After successfully enabling Aureliano, I feel compelled to point out that ordering sand and gray would push your order over the threshold. I'm just sayin'....

Landman

One Too Many
I purchased the Napa Stetson Straw hat in the link below from Miller Hats. It came in yesterday afternoon and it is a very nice "softer" Panama straw hat with dimensions closer to a true Stratoliner. The brim is 2 3/4" but is not bound. The black thin ribbon on mine is leather but you can order it with brown leather too. I think you can even call Miller and ask them to put some other type of ribbon on it if you like. I'm very pleased with it. In fact, if I could have looked at them side by side I probably would have ordered this and not the new Stetson Milan Stratoliner. They are both nice hats but I just like the wider brim and feel of the straw on the Napa Stetson better.

http://www.millerhats.com/stetsondress_straw/stetdresstraw2.htm

DougC

Practically Family
Paris Hatters in San Antonio did it for me. I'll try to get some pictures up in awhile. I had to drive to a prison in Beaumont today to see a client...I'm kinda tired.

The Wiser Hatter

I'll Lock Up
I just stopped by Dillards to look at the new Milan Strat not bad for a Stetson. Will post pictures in a minute. The had the hat one each from 7 to 71/2 most where missing the plastic plane my size didn't. Didn't pick one up yet would want one in Grey. I have a custom Milan OR coming in this color.:D So the "sand" color is out.

Last edited:

Aureliano

I'll Lock Up
I got it in sand! :D
I couldn't understand from above, Ed. Did you get a gray Strat? or the OR will be gray and the Stratoliner is sand?

The Wiser Hatter

I'll Lock Up
The OR will be a like the one Josh sold last summer.

web.jpg

web.jpg

web.jpg

web.jpg

web.jpg

Here is a shot of the hat looking up thru the hat with the light in the back. Let's you see if the weave is loose for air movement. Not to bad not as loose a weave of my vintage Milan's but better than my other Modern Stetson and Dobbs milan's. Price 92 bucks at Dillards and they only carry the Sand.
Another reason not to get Sand everyone one will have that color. Must be Different.:)

seabass

Call Me a Cab
Got mine in yesterday in sand.
i cant tell if the sweatband is leather or pleather. it fits a little big i ordered 7 1/4 slightly loose but i am a L/O so maybe ill steam it, i have the loose feeling side to side.
& i wish the crown was slightly higher, brim width is good.....
its a cool hat & my wife likes it.... im just not used to new hats... & bad timing i just ordered a natural milan from Art......
oh well good work hat....

Aureliano

I'll Lock Up
A bit of interesting info about Shantung I found online.

"Since the first use of Shantung (aka Shantung Panama) to make hats, the material remains widely a mystery. Many people believe that shantung hats are made of natural straw. It is actually made out of a high performance paper which is rolled into a yarn to imitate straw. Furthermore, many people believe that shantung paper yarn is made out of rice paper. Rice paper is actually a misnomer. Currently, there are no papers being made out of rice. Although, for the size papers made out of Kozo, Gampi and Mitsumata, rice starch was traditionally used. (This is probabaly where the name "rice paper" comes from.) Kozo, Gampi and Mitsumata were originally used to make the high performance paper. The paper was named "Washi" by the Japanese who perfected the technique in 610 AD after Korean Buddhist monks learned the Chinese technique and introduced it to Japan. (The Chinese invented the technique of making this paper during the first century.)
Washi literally meaning "Japanese Paper," became famous worldwide for it's unique characteristics. Washi is thinner and lighter in weight yet stronger than any other paper. In recent years, because of quantity, availability, and tensile strength, washi is now mainly being produced with the Manila Hemp plant. (Musa Textilis, Abaca) The Manila Hemp plant is native to the Philippine Islands, but it can also be found in other parts of the world. (ie. Central America, Indonesia, Australia, Borneo, etc.) The majority of the world's production still remains largely in the Philippine Islands.
In the mid-1900's, natural panama straw became scarce and hat manufacturer were in desperate need of finding a replacement. Washi was then introduced as an alternative and was perfect for making hats. Wanting a better name for the hat industry, "Washi" was renamed to "Shantung Panama". It quickly became widely accepted because of its similarity in looks to the natural panama straw. It was also very durable, light weight, and cost effective. Today, cowboy hat manufacturers mainly use shantung to make hats. Shantung hats now command more than 65% of the hat market." Source.

Last edited:

jbucklin

Practically Family
Got mine today. Not sure I'm digging the shape of the brim too much. I'd like to get it reflanged but am not sure if there's a hatter in Dallas. There's Peters Bros. in Ft Worth. I guess I can try them.

Last edited:

TomS

One Too Many
Brim Shaping...

We wear stetson *hard* straw hats in my agency. The hats come from the factory with an awful brim shape. To change the brim, all we do is steam the lid over a pot of boiling water, and then use a regular clothes iron with a steam setting. I certianly don't want to give anyone bad advice, but I've found it pretty easy to do... steam the hat, lay it on an ironing board, cover the brim with a t-shirt, and iron it out. Once the brim is fairly flat, steam it again, and shape to taste. It might take a few tries, but it's really simple.

BR,
Tom

P.S. I've also done this to just about all my vintage hats without ever having a problem.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot