Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Stetson Stratoliner Milan {modern}

seabass

Call Me a Cab
IT does look good though for a work hat & yes ventilation should be a priorty... i wonder if the braid would fray with vents for this plasticky milan.
compared to shatung i had those with plenty of vents for work hats... but aint nothing like old school squishy milan hats those seem to vent well.
messed up too many nice ones & old panamas (brisa-weaves) cutting & trimming cactus , nopales , agaves , & palm trees ,
so at least ill look good with this strat with some degree of protection but ventilation overides style for my purpose
let us know about those holes & how they work out thanks
& RBH does look cool with the straw-strat

carldelo

One Too Many
Seabass, you might look at Akubra Capricorn also for a vented poly straw work hat - there is an inch or two wide strip above the ribbon where the weave is quite open, enhancing ventilation. You can sort of see the strip in this pic - the Capricorn is on the right:
Comparison003.jpg

seabass

Call Me a Cab
Seabass, you might look at Akubra Capricorn also for a vented poly straw work hat - there is an inch or two wide strip above the ribbon where the weave is quite open, enhancing ventilation. You can sort of see the strip in this pic - the Capricorn is on the right:
Comparison003.jpg
sweet info there C,
http://www.akubra.com.au/products_straws.html
looks like 3 colors & there up front stating its Polypropylene
that is a really nice lookin lid.
but i just bought the strat free shipping too
i have a few vintage milans real straw or grass with the same venting,
im not familair with akruba's straws due to hard to find in hat shops
thanks for the info & those 2 lids look great

RBH

Bartender
This from the Dillards website-

''Shantung straw sewn braid body
3/8 inch ribbon edge on brim
Airplane pin on the side of the crown
2 1/2 inch brim width recreation of the Stetson 1940s and 1950s Stratoliner Hat for a Retro feel ''

It states it is shantung, anyway I wore mine all day today. The temp was 81 and the hat and me had a fine day!
Seemed much cooler than my Dobbs milans but not a airish as my VS milans.

carldelo

One Too Many
So frustrating that the only straw Akubra offers in 63 or higher has a relatively narrow brim.

You know, the Capricorn wasn't offered in size 62 until I asked Sam at EA if he could arrange it, and he managed to convince Akubra to make one. Since then, size 62 has appeared as an option on the other poly straws, first at EA and now on the Akubra site. Maybe you could try the same approach with a model you want. I remember that his first suggestion was to order a size 61 (then the maximum size) with a fabric sweatband to accommodate the larger size. This option might be feasible for you if they can't make a true size 63. It's worth an email, I think.

Terry "The Hat"

Practically Family
I got my "Milan" Stratoliner the other day and here is my impression: You can't just stick a cheap airplane pin on a straw hat and call it a Stratoliner. It's not a bad had so don't get me wrong but it looks just like another Stetson Straw I bought new last year for about half the price. I don't see anything "Stratoliner" about it (including the less than wide brim treatment). If they wanted a Modern Milan Stratoliner they should have come up with a different hat body with a wide brim to set it apart from all the rest.

Aureliano

I'll Lock Up
I got my "Milan" Stratoliner the other day and here is my impression: You can't just stick a cheap airplane pin on a straw hat and call it a Stratoliner. It's not a bad had so don't get me wrong but it looks just like another Stetson Straw I bought new last year for about half the price. I don't see anything "Stratoliner" about it (including the less than wide brim treatment). If they wanted a Modern Milan Stratoliner they should have come up with a different hat body with a wide brim to set it apart from all the rest.

Would you post a noggin shot? I'm still indecisive...

carldelo

One Too Many
...it looks just like another Stetson Straw I bought new last year for about half the price...

Which one? I'm asking because I haven't seen any bound edge Stetson straws with thin ribbon and medium brim, at least not in my size. I'd be curious to know if I missed one. I ordered this one because it's the proportions I was looking for, not because it's called a Strat.

Grizzly Adams

A-List Customer

I am confused - not a new situation!:D I don't understand your statement about the "less wide brim treatment." My Milan Stat has a 2 and 1/2 inch brim as measured at the front brim. Is that not the correct width for a Strat? My vintage felt Stratoliner is 2 and 1/2.[huh]

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot