Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Stetson Surplus

Neophyte

My Mail is Forwarded Here
This is the Stetson answer to the Akubra Overload thread. If there's one like this already, delete it.

Come here to rave or rant about Stetson hats, be they modern vintage, and anything in between. If Stetson made a hat for another company, post that too. This is your thread, but remember worthlesswithoutpics .

Neophyte

My Mail is Forwarded Here
This was actually partly JBucklin's idea and partly my desire to keep the Stetson-related comments off the "Akubra Overload." I'm sure there are a lot of modern Stetson owners out there, and I'm doubly sure there are a lot of vintage Stetson owners out there. Considering the success of the Akubra Overload page, it made sense to create a Stetson page for the display and discussion of all things Stetson.

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
IMG]http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee100/dinerman2/May%2017%20onwards/IMG_0505.jpg[/IMG]
Inside of the hat. Green liner. Textured sweatband. Appears it might have had a stampede string at some point.

IMG_0506.jpg

Clear Nutria John B. Stetson Company Philadelphia

IMG_0508.jpg

Fur Felt Hat Made in the USA

IMG_0510.jpg

John S. Hartman & Son
Hatters
87 New Bond Street
Established 1850

IMG_0514.jpg

Deep, slanted telescope crease. It seems from the hats I've seen and the dirt lines on hats I've seen recreased on ebay that this deep telescope crease was popular on this style of high crowned wide brimmed cowboy hat. The tall exaggerated gus crease /tom mix crease seems to be something more of a caricature of movie hats than most people actually did. But try telling that to a cowboy action shooter.

IMG_0512.jpg

High Crowned hat

IMG_0515.jpg

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
Low crown with evidence of previous creases. When I got it it was creased with a modern cattleman's crease, but that doesn't really work or provide any space for a head on a hat with a crown this low. So I steamed it open. From the way it's stained and dented, I don't believe that the cattleman's was what it was worn as for most of it's life. Shallow front pinches look to be more likely. Also note colors and bow-work, which are consistent with other No.1 quality hats already in this thread.
IMG_1014.jpg

Gold foil 1930s size tag. These seem to have been phased out around 1940. The fonts are different from the manila tags used later, as are the the materials, though the shape is the same. Though later Canadian hats also used foil tags, they are of a different kind. NRA tag dates this hat to between 1933 and 1935.
IMG_1013.jpg

Bow-work. Intentionally frayed trailing edge. Twisted bow.
IMG_1016.jpg

IMG_1012.jpg

IMG_1010.jpg

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
Definitely a wild color on this one. The color in the first picture is accurate. The felt is also different from the other No. 1 quality hats. Thinner, more of a dress weight.

IMG_1032.jpg

Inside of hat showing red piped liner.
IMG_1033.jpg

IMG_1034.jpg

IMG_1035.jpg

IMG_1036.jpg

IMG_1037.jpg

jbucklin

Practically Family
Dinerman pulled out the "big guns" on us. Wow. What an impressive collection! Modern Stetson owners, run for cover!!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner