Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Sticky sweatband help!

Aureliano

I'll Lock Up
Hi,

This is very strange and I hope someone has some light to shed.
The sweatband (fairly new one) of one of my hats, right where it touches my forehead, is sticky! (sticky as when you peel off a sticker and there's residue left on the spot) I tried water thinking it was probably becasue of the salt in the sweat and nothing. Tried lexol leather cleaner, nothing. Tried lexol conditioner, nothing. Tried Goo-gone! also to no effect:eusa_doh: . The darn thing still feels sticky and it sort of glues to my forehead causing disconfort. Any ideas as to what this could be? how to fix it?
I'm going nuts!

carldelo

One Too Many
No ideas for getting rid of the stickiness - what a drag. If you can't get rid of it, you could apply a patch of moleskin or something similar to the sweatband in that area to cover it up. It would be a drag to replace the sweat just for that...

Aureliano

I'll Lock Up
Not a bad idea. But I worry the moleskin will make the hat fit too snug...
I wonder what's the couse of this stickiness!... I'm loosing it!:p [huh]

carldelo

One Too Many
Aureliano said:
Not a bad idea. But I worry the moleskin will make the hat fit too snug...
I wonder what's the couse of this stickiness!... I'm loosing it!:p [huh]

Bryl Cream residue?
Acid rain combined with sweat melting the sweat band?
Molecular decomposition due to cosmic rays?

I think there is mildly adhesive fabric tape that would be much thinner than moleskin....

4and1

One of the Regulars
I have the same problem with an as new, pre-'43 Disney. Not like it has adhesive on it. It is absolutely clean (maybe too clean?) and it tries to rip my scalp off on removal. I tried talcum powder... no help. Leather treatment...same difference.

I thought about scuffing it up a little bit but, it is in such good condition, I wouldn't want to do anything rash (no pun). Unless someone here comes up with a better solution, I will try it on a lesser hat and post the results.

Aureliano

I'll Lock Up
4and1 said:
I have the same problem with an new, pre-'43 Disney. Not like it has adhesive on it. It is absolutely clean (maybe too clean?) and it tries to rip my scalp off on removal. I thought about scuffing it up a little bit but, it is in such good condition, I wouldn't want to do anything rash (no pun). Unless someone here comes up with a better solution, I will try it on a lesser hat and post the results.

Yeah, I hate that it sort of rips my forehead skin. I wouldn't scuff it though...[huh]

Carlisle Blues

My Mail is Forwarded Here
How is the sweatband attached to hat? Is it sewn in or glued? Also who makes the hat? A call to the manufacturer may solve your problem or even calling the retailer with questions [huh]

Aureliano

I'll Lock Up
Carlisle Blues said:
How is the sweatband attached to hat? Is it sewn in or glued? Also who makes the hat? A call to the manufacturer may solve your problem or even calling the retailer with questions [huh]

It's sewn, the hat is a Cervo. I'm planning on calling worth & worth if I can't get help here...

bbshriver

One of the Regulars
Kind of surprising goo-gone didn't get it! must be some pretty impressive stuff whatever it is!

If it's leather the best stuff for cleaning and conditioning is Leatherique.
www.leatherique.com

But it's kind of expensive, and not sure that it will help since the other measures you've tried haven't done anything...

Aureliano

I'll Lock Up
Carlisle Blues said:
You know the answer.....call Orlando............;) Don't mess with it.............nice felt I am sure....:eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

One of my most gorgeous hats, indeed. I'm paying him a visit this afternoon. Will post the answer to the enigma...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johnmichael