Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Stills from a film I'm making

Mr. Sable

A-List Customer
Thanks, Serial Hero!

Here's some more stills from the shoot:

208564513_343b77e8fd.jpg

208564511_20e6bb5122.jpg

207704142_9abbf324d1.jpg

208553546_5c88e79e32.jpg

Historical accuarcy is losing out a little against the budget. The 'brass' buttons on the police coat are chocolate coin wrappers wrapped around the blue plastic buttons on the coat. The cop is also wearing jeans, but I only shot him from the waist up.

I did learn one really good trick to boost the production value though:

193078012_f4605b8f1d.jpg

Serial Hero

A-List Customer
Love that trick with the car.

Black and white is a lot more forgiving. Things don't need to match up as much, as long as they appear the right shade of grey your good to go.

jake_fink

Call Me a Cab
Mr. Sable said:
Thanks, Serial Hero!

Here's some more stills from the shoot:

208564513_343b77e8fd.jpg

208564511_20e6bb5122.jpg

207704142_9abbf324d1.jpg

208553546_5c88e79e32.jpg

Historical accuarcy is losing out a little against the budget. The 'brass' buttons on the police coat are chocolate coin wrappers wrapped around the blue plastic buttons on the coat. The cop is also wearing jeans, but I only shot him from the waist up.

I did learn one really good trick to boost the production value though:

193078012_f4605b8f1d.jpg

lol lol lol

I love it!

Great work.

Rick Blaine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Wow, The Tigerstedt Studio...

Mrs. Blaine, a native of Calgary has family photos from the early 40s to present, four generations, all taken by Tigerstedt... photos of her Da' & late Uncles in the very time period in which your film takes place ...great work too. She grew up in Bridgeland, Calgary's little Italy.
I am a southern boy who was just BLOWN AWAY, both by your lovely city and your wonderful country. I always tell Mrs. Blaine "I may have been born an American, but I am, by G_D, going to die a Canadian!

Super wardrobe/photography/art direction... can't wait!

Rick Blaine

I'll have to ask the boss...

:eek: Don'tcha know:rolleyes:
... but I don't see why not...

I will look & see what I have digitized when I get off work... they are all on my desktop at home.
:eek:fftopic: I am not at all sure that we could AFFORD to live in Calgary & environs... property prices in Bridgeland are just SICK! ... 200k plus for a 2br 1 ba 1100 sq ft 'bungalow' WOW!

Mr. Sable said:
No freakin' way! Any pix you can share?

Rick Blaine

Here is the one I was thinking of...

Mr. Sable said:
No freakin' way! Any pix you can share?

My Father-in -Law, his brothers & Da' c. 1950 ... a little later than your film is set... some sharp-dressed fellas though! I'll look f/ some others, but this is the best as far as I can tell.

Regards,

Rick

Rick Blaine

So... if you need a "technical consultant" on 1940's Calgary

Mr. Sable said:
My mind is blown like an over-inflated Michelin going way too fast on a hot, hot highway.

AKA, an Olde Fart who will never shutup!!!
Call my father-in-law!
Just kidding, he really is a facinating fellow,he was a homesteder up thar' & was on the CP Rail for 39 yrs. starting out as a wiper on a steam locomotive & worked his way up through fireman to Sr. Engineer, piloting mile long trains through the Canadian Rockies... quite the life!

Mr. Sable

A-List Customer
Here's another still from what we shot today. I added a title to it. This character only appears briefly in "Five Bullets, Five Names", but one day, I'll write a whole script about him.

929966.jpg

carebear

I realize the "only 5 bullets" thing is a trope for the movie but up until the '60's in the US, and I'm certain in Canada too, you could walk into any hardware store (and some drugstores/general stores) and buy guns and ammunition.

Sears, Monkey Wards, pick a store, they usually had a gun counter. Maybe not right downtown, but no more than a quick cab ride away. Heck, until 1934 if you had the scratch you could walk out of Sears with a Thompson Gun or a Maxim silencer.

Anyway, if I were given the choice, I'd hie me to the store and at least fill that empty chamber. ;)

I like the car technique and the button substitution. Folks are less likely to pick nits if the broad strokes aren't jarringly long. Make sure you keep us updated on progress. :)

Mr. Sable

A-List Customer
carebear said:
Anyway, if I were given the choice, I'd hie me to the store and at least fill that empty chamber. ;)

That's the deal, he's not given the choice.

I'll keep folks updated and I'll probably bring at least a trailer to the QM in November if anyone wants to have a boo at it.

Clyde R.

One of the Regulars
Good luck on your project, looks good. I made a short B&W noir homage in a film class in college years ago and it was tons of fun to make.

We used filterless smokes, btw(luckies,) and my boss at the campus TV station played my gumshoe quite well, I think, and managed to look convincing even though he wasn't a smoker. We even worked the cigarettes into the dialogue because the bad guy-Mr. Big- offers the gumshoe a fancy imported Turkish smoke and he declines of course in favor of his five and dime American smokes. :)

At the time I had a pretty decent vintage wardrobe of suits and overcoats and they got used as the wardrobe in the film. I recall the experience fondly and seeing your stills brings back a lot of great memories.

Curt Chiarelli

One of the Regulars
Hi Mr. Sable:

This project has a great look to it! I particularly enjoyed the Lovecraft reference. I hope you don't mind me waxing nostalgic, but your project brings back fond memories of the Bolex I shot with in film school. A grand camera, the Bolex H-16! Who's your production designer? I wish you all the very best on this project. It's tough getting your own films made.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Buhles