Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

stinky hats

Richard

Familiar Face
i am thinking about getting a tilley just ebcause it's washable. I run a lot, and have trouble figuring out what to wear. sometimes I just wear two bandanas, one around the face bandit style and one aroudn the head. sometimes a baseball cap, with, or without a bandana. it all gets pretty sweaty. Sometimes I wear a pith helmet but that feels kind of strange. do you people febreze your hats? do youo just trash em if they get too gross. seems like a hats got to be pretty darn expensive to justify cleaning it.

I can't quite imagine running or working out with a fedora on but I guess you could. :p When mine get dirty I have them cleaned. There are also those that i wear just to do dirty work and they pretty much stay as they are. You can always wash the liner in a little woolite or some such light cleaner. Sewing them back in is a pain though. ;) Once in a while I will go over the sweatband with a little Orange-Glo cleaner as well. That tends to freshen up the hat. If the outside of the hat gets dirty, cleaning is the best bet though. You can have it done professionally or try to use Scout Felt hat cleaner if you are good at getting it back into shape after it dries. For the novice, a professional cleaning is in order. ;)
What type of hat gets stinky anyway?

Regards to all,

J

Oh, oh. Have you read the hats and baldness thread? :p
I sweat through some of mine as well. It just depends on how hot it is. Just remember to dilute the sweat with a little water, if it gets on the ribbon, with a little water on a Q-tip or some such thing. You can blot it with a clean white paper towel and a stain will not appear on the ribbon. It works for the hairy anyway. :p

Regards to all,

J

English Bob

New in Town
Students remedy

We have a product here in Europe called Febreze which you mentioned. All the students use it on their underclothes (saves them washing ) so it has to be good if it is endorsed by a million or so people. Try it on your hat. If it doesn't work then try some lateral thinking and run without a hat. every body knows that 90% of your heat loss is through your head!!!:cheers1:

Biltmore Bob

Suspended
That, James, is Freddy the Freeloader. I don't know if you're old enough to remember the Red Skelton Show. We need comedians like him nowadays. A real class act.

I thought you'd like the picture...

I like the picture.
I have seen recordings of the old Red Skelton Show and I met him once in Hawaii many years ago but I never saw the show when it was on the air originally.
Freddy the Freeloader. Hmmm... Looks like nearly all the kids I see coming out of the schools here at 2:50pm. :p They don't all have beards or hats though. ;)

Regards to all,

J

Richard

Familiar Face
Red Skelton

we were watching some old dvds of his. Unbelievably dated. He had one routine where he was mericlessly mocking some woman who was trying to be in the workplace. The whole thrust of the joke was that women were kind of dumb and useless and inept. It was difficult to even watch the show and recognize this as being int he same country as we live in today. That people might have been laughing about it in their homes. Weird. He did have a rotine with Jerry Lewis as an inept magician that made me and all of my kids bust out laughing though.

WWII crusher

New in Town
Smelly hat

Any body know how to remove that "foot locker" stinch that get permiated into a hat, don't trust the hat to a commercial facility because of it's age and condition. When can I post pics with the attachment, mine says, "Attachments not allowed", is this because I'm a newby? Would love to show ya'll some nice crushers!

WWII crusher said:
Any body know how to remove that "foot locker" stinch that get permiated into a hat, don't trust the hat to a commercial facility because of it's age and condition. When can I post pics with the attachment, mine says, "Attachments not allowed", is this because I'm a newby? Would love to show ya'll some nice crushers!

Hogan! :p
The product mentioned earlier---Fabreeze-should do the trick in most cases if simply airing out the hat does not work. What is the hat made of?
You can post a picture by following the procedure outlined here: http://www.thefedoralounge.com/faq.php?faq=vb_read_and_post#faq_vb_attachment_explain

Regards to all,

J

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo