Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

STOP STARING!!!

JazzBaby

Practically Family
Evening ladies,

Was thinking of purchasing a few Stop Staring dresses after Christmas (they look so pretty!) but seem to recall reading in an earlier post that the fabric is strange...is this just on the stretchy ones or all of them? I'd really love to hear feedback from anyone who owns any of their dresses, that would be very helpful!!!

Also, are they very costume-y looking? I'd like to be able to wear them casually, without looking like I'm going to a fancy dress!

Thanks for your help ladies!:p

Miss_Bella_Hell

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I would avoid the stretchy ones..."spandex" comes to mind. However I did have one of the stretchy ones for awhile and it was ok on the days when I was feeling body confident! Not much left to the imagination!

The non-stretch dresses are fine. Generally I wear mine to places where there won't be too many vintage enthusiasts, otherwise there's usually someone else wearing an SS dress.

~landgirl~

A-List Customer
They are gorgeous! I own a few - and the stretchy type, but I need it otherwise it would be too tight around the waist. I can't wear the non stretch as the next size up would drown my hips and shoulders. I guess it depends what sort of figure you have!

JazzBaby

Practically Family
~landgirl~ said:
They are gorgeous! I own a few - and the stretchy type, but I need it otherwise it would be too tight around the waist. I can't wear the non stretch as the next size up would drown my hips and shoulders. I guess it depends what sort of figure you have!

Sorry, meant to ask... Where did you order them from? I'm worried I won't find a store that ships to this side of the atlantic.

BettyValentine

A-List Customer
CherryBombRock said:
Out of interest - does anyone know if this dress is black or navy - it looks navy on my screen and my computer won't let me look at the stop staring website!http://www.rockersengland.co.uk/ss-dress/ss-drs-01.htm

It looks black on my screen but I would bet that it is probably navy, because it looks to be the same fabric combination as this one, which is navy:
http://www.daddyos.com/retro/ssd2.html

That looked burgundy to me. Am I crazy to think that it looks like a dark color in the reddish family? Because it's navy. Navy isn't bad, but it's definitely navy. I was kind of surprised when it showed up.

I get all mine from Daddyos. They're very good about returns or exchanges, and the markup is a lot less than at mybabyjo.

Daisy Buchanan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I'm pretty sure that dress is black. I recall seeing it at the Stop Staring Fashion show last month, and I'm pretty positive it's black.

I love all of my stop staring dresses. I have 8 of them now. I don't mind the cotton/spandex material, for it gives me a better fit. They do tend to run funny. I would recommend going up a size. They don't feel costumey to me. I wear mine out all the time to non-vintage events and someone always asks me about it and where I got it. I get most of mine at Daddy'O's and MyBabyJo.

Miss Dottie

Practically Family
Daisy Buchanan said:
I'm pretty sure that dress is black. I recall seeing it at the Stop Staring Fashion show last month, and I'm pretty positive it's black.

I love all of my stop staring dresses. I have 8 of them now. I don't mind the cotton/spandex material, for it gives me a better fit. They do tend to run funny. I would recommend going up a size. They don't feel costumey to me. I wear mine out all the time to non-vintage events and someone always asks me about it and where I got it. I get most of mine at Daddy'O's and MyBabyJo.

A Stop Staring fashion show? How much fun does that sound like!

I own two of them and it's nice because they have sizes for larger girls. And I don't mind the stretch either--the give helps it conform to your body.

Fleur De Guerre

Call Me a Cab
Miss_Bella_Hell said:
I don't know when I became sort of anti-SS. I think I just would rather buy a vintage dress for $100 than a modern one. [huh]

Ah but our mighty Pound vs your puny Dollar :)p) (plus cost and availability of vintage over here!) makes SS dresses a good purchase for us Brits. Plus it would be very unusual to see someone else in a SS dress here.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mythic