Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Strange Superstitions and The Superstitious Among Us

Starius

Practically Family
PA Dancer said:
Shoes, new: on table
Dates back to 1869 Notes & Queries states putting new shoes on the table will cause a quarrel in the household.

It didn't say where the superstition originated, but I found this website for this and other superstitions:
http://www.everything2.com/index.pl?node=Superstition

It says that the shoes would scratch the table.

Well, leave it to mom to have the most practical of superstitions.

HadleyH

I'll Lock Up
Diamondback said:
Unless you can articulate a logical reason, that still sounds a lot like a superstitious habit, Ms. H.... lol

Hmmmmm..... it just seems to me that you don't want to be "enslaved" by crappy superstitious habits, so to speak. You want to be, like master of your fate, kind of thing. ;) That's all the articulation I can give you. :D

gluegungeisha

Practically Family
Sometimes my car won't go into "park." My sister experienced the same problem, and we've had the car checked out, but whatever they did to fix it did not solve the problem. I have been late for work, exams, etc. due to sitting in my car wiggling the gear to make it park. I've tried slowly easing it into place, quickly jerking it into place, saying "please,"...and I always leave early just in case, but sometimes that isn't enough!

For some reason, I find that the less stressed out I am (or seem!) when I try to park, the more likely it will be that my car will behave. So, whenever I'm driving to something important, I always sit in the parking space for a minute with my foot in the brake listening to music before parking.

be_lovely

One of the Regulars
11:11

I dont know if this is superstitious, but at 11:11, if I catch it, I tell someone I love them. I also do the salt over the shoulder, my dad owns a solid black cat, so that ones out the window, and I believe in the broom by the entrances, and the salt across the doorways when you move in. I have a crystal that I keep that I programed for confidance, and I believe in the whole mineralology & aromatherapy.

Travis

Suspended
Phil said:
I have a whole ritual for if/when I find I problem on my computer. I sacrafice a jpeg to the processor.

I hope you have a lot of extra jpegs lying around. Deleting important photos is something I always regret.

Miss Sis

One Too Many
Rosie said:
Whenever you give someone a purse as a gift, you have to put money in it to ensure their purse is never empty.

I came across this one a few years ago with my boyfriend. I saw a little evening purse in an antique shop and opened it to look inside. I found a sixpence piece in there and said 'Oh look, someone left a coin in there'. My boyfriend then informed me that you should never leave a purse or bag without some money in it and about putting money in one if you give it as a gift to ensure the owner is never short of money.

I thought that is a nice thought and also quite sensible - then you will always have some money (even if it's only change!)

PA Dancer

A-List Customer
be_lovely said:
I dont know if this is superstitious, but at 11:11...

I catch that time on the clock a lot too. That and 1:11.

I remember someone telling me that when you wake up at the same time every night (and I would guess seeing the same clock time) that it's someone that has passed on checking up on you.

That happened to me a lot at this one point in my life. It was drivin me crazy getting up in the middle of the night at the same time. So I politely said "I appreciate you checking on me, but can you make it at a later time" The waking up in the middle of the night stopped after that.

(I now it sounds crazy...but hey...it worked)

Starius

Practically Family
Thats so weird. I've never heard of that, but at one point in college I went through a period of months where I would consistently wake up at look at the clock at exactly 11:11 and 4:44. Just like clockwork, I'd open my eyes and look at the clock at the same times consistently. It got to the point where I thought I was just dreaming it all the time so when I saw the time I started to move my clock at different angles. Sure enough, when I fully awoke in the morning, the clock would be at the angle I moved it to.

RIOT

Practically Family
Spiders. I won't kill spiders. I will kill most anything, well bugs and most critters but not spiders. Someone had told me, don't ask who as I don't even remember, that it was badluck to do so and it just registered in me. Till this day I would pick up spiders and throw them outside but not kill them.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maxraff