Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Stratoliner Value?

sola fide

One of the Regulars
I'm just trying find a gray large brim fedora that fits. I thought I could fit in a 7 because the 7 1/8 Open Road I bought is a bit big.
- The dark gray Stratoliner is from the 40s based on the liner timeline. The hat is super clean and the liner is immaculate. The size tag still has the price which is odd because I would have torn it away.
- I'm going to sell, but not sure what is a reasonable price. I see some asking prices and they make me cringe because they are way, way, way out of my price range. Take look and tell me what you think.
- I might consider a trade for a gray wide brim size 7 1/8
- One of the members recommend I take a picture in the natural daylight to better capture the natural gray color.

Thanks for your help
Mike A

DJH

I'll Lock Up
Mike, why not just list as an auction on eBay and let the market decide the value? Like everything, the value of any of these hats is what someone will pay. If I was bidding on a 50's (it isn't a 40's hat) size 7 Stratoliner like this, I'd expect to pay about $100 - $120, but an actual auction might be quite a bit more or less.

There was a time that people were paying big buckeroonies for Stratoliners, but it seems to be over now. I've sold a couple of 7 or 71/8 (with reproduction DC3 pins) for between 120 and 140. If you have the box and pin, the value will be a bit higher, obviously.

LuvMyMan

I’ll Lock Up.
The smaller hats seem to be more abundant than the larger sizes, and over all looking at listings of hats the prices of smaller hats do not command the outrageous prices larger hats do. Perhaps just having your hat "hat jacked" to fit would be an option, or trading it as you could place it on the classifieds here and see if someone has a hat they would trade for yours? Hard for me to make a value number on a clean older stratoliner as the size is so small.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran