Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Straw Hat question

petes hats

New in Town
Hello,

I have a client that is asking me about a straw hat that doesn't leave a sweat stain on the outside of the band, or gets whisked away. I was thinking a Genuine Panama, but wasn't sure, so I figured I would ask.

Thanks in advance

Rick Blaine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I am a bit unsure as to what you are asking. Are you asking if there exists a fiber that will not allow sweat to bleed through to the hats' exterior? 'cause if so... well it sounds more like a sweating issue that a fiber issue. Other than a polypropaline straw (like the Riverz hats) I can think of nothing that fits the bill.

carldelo

One Too Many
I agree that the question is unclear. I have a Riverz hat - the straw does not show sweat, but the band certainly does. As it is a nylon strap, it rinses clean. It is not a dressy hat, however. Orvis has a new foldable fedora version that looks quite nice (it's not tagged as a Riverz, but definitely is one).

RBH

Bartender
carldelo said:
I agree that the question is unclear. I have a Riverz hat - the straw does not show sweat, but the band certainly does. As it is a nylon strap, it rinses clean. It is not a dressy hat, however. Orvis has a new foldable fedora version that looks quite nice (it's not tagged as a Riverz, but definitely is one).
Wish I could put out some quick info that would help... but could you show us that foldable fedora??? :D

petes hats

New in Town
Rick Blaine said:
I am a bit unsure as to what you are asking. Are you asking if there exists a fiber that will not allow sweat to bleed through to the hats' exterior? 'cause if so... well it sounds more like a sweating issue that a fiber issue. Other than a polypropaline straw (like the Riverz hats) I can think of nothing that fits the bill.

Yes, it may be a sweating issue. He asked me was there a type of straw hat that would not, over time, leave a sweat ring stain around the hat that would show through the band. Kind of like when you wear a baseball cap and after a while the sweat stains the outside of it. My first thought was to find him one that had a good sweatband in it,regardless of hat material, but I don't know if that would suffice.

carldelo

One Too Many
RBH said:
Wish I could put out some quick info that would help... but could you show us that foldable fedora??? :D

RBH - I saw this the other day when somebody posted a reference to a dirt-cheap Open Road on sale at Orvis. The OR was sold out, but I noticed this while poking around - I had it wrong, it's called 'packable' not 'foldable'. I'm hoping to check it out in person later this week. If it's big enough and the back folds up in proper snap-brim fashion, it will become my 'dress' kayak hat:

http://www.orvis.com/store/product_...1751&cat_id=5690&subcat_id=6971&feature_id=17

Note it is the TechStraw material, which is woven polypropylene.

Rick Blaine

orvispackable.jpg

ORVIS packable - plastic

tspackablepanama-1.jpg

Travelsmith packable - genuine panama

I just can't help but wonder how long the TS panama would really last...

Kevin Popejoy

One of the Regulars
petes hats said:
Yes, it may be a sweating issue. He asked me was there a type of straw hat that would not, over time, leave a sweat ring stain around the hat that would show through the band. Kind of like when you wear a baseball cap and after a while the sweat stains the outside of it. My first thought was to find him one that had a good sweatband in it,regardless of hat material, but I don't know if that would suffice.

That's the ticket. He'll need a hat with a good quality leather sweatband. I have a panama I've been wearing for over 20 years that has no sweat stains. Fabric sweatbands are useless. To clarify however, I don't use this as a work hat. If I'm really working up a sweat it normally comes off or is at least routinely wiped clear with a handkerchief. In other words, my panama is not a beater. I also keep an inexpensive straw sun hat around that I use for lawn mowing and such like. I consider it expendable. k

Rick Blaine

I agree

indycop said:
The travelsmith looks really rough in texture for a panama.

From the website: "Handwoven from young, flexible leaves of the Carrludovica palm, it’s a genuine Panama with a twist. Only one village weaves the twisted straw that makes this fedora so strong and springy: Fold the brim against the crown and stow this hat in a golf bag, a suitcase, or an airplane overhead."

? [huh]

indycop

I'll Lock Up
I looked at a zoom view of the travelsmith and those are some big weaves, I guess that is what makes it look rough to me. I also looked up the riverz Delta model on VHS and it looks appealing to me. It even has a ridge in the top of the crown. Also had excellent reviews from those who purchased it. The coolmax sweat received good reviews also.
I am a big fan of leather sweats but I was amazed at the wicking power of materials like polypropylene and coolmax from my time in the Army. When I first enlisted way back when everything I was issued was wool for warmth and it was itchy and would not dry after getting wet/sweaty. When I arrived at the 10th Mountain I was issued polypro and goretex and wore goretex/coolmax boots. I would get soaked with sweat while doing anything exerting but with a couple of minutes after stopping I would suddenly be dry.:)

carldelo

One Too Many
FWIW the polypro on the Orvis looks much finer and smoother than the weave on my Riverz Delta. I like the Delta very much for my on-water hat, but it does have a plasticy feel, and looks plastic up close. When I check out the Orvis, I'll post a review. The Travelsmith is interesting looking as well, although I think a saltwater kayak trip might destroy it quick. It's hard to believe the hatband is grosgrain, it looks like nylon to go with the camlock buckle...

GeorgeH

New in Town
Tech Straw Orvis hats

I have two tech straw hats from Orvis. A vented broad brim and the foldable fedora. I love them. The large brim vented model is has cool as any natural straw hat, regardless of make. The fedora is not as cool in still air, but in a breeze, I feel little difference.

For me, these are fishing. canoeing, general outdoors wear hats. A little soapy water, and they look new.

carldelo

One Too Many
GeorgeH said:
I have two tech straw hats from Orvis. A vented broad brim and the foldable fedora. I love them. The large brim vented model is has cool as any natural straw hat, regardless of make. The fedora is not as cool in still air, but in a breeze, I feel little difference.

For me, these are fishing. canoeing, general outdoors wear hats. A little soapy water, and they look new.

Sounds like you have the same two hats as I, but I bought neither from Orvis. The broad brim sounds similar to my Riverz Delta, the packable fedora is definitely the same as the Joe Fedora - I bought both from noggintops.com, each for $20 less than the Orvis price (not so cheap today, but sometimes they're on sale). I agree with your assessment - I wear the Delta as my everyday kayak hat - it has a stiff wide brim to block the sun and not bend in the wind, and rinses clean. The Joe Fedora is a great around town and hiking hat - I was able to remove road tar with a toothbrush and dishsoap with no trouble, impervious to rain, etc.

skyvue

Call Me a Cab
It's hard to imagine anyone sweating through a Sunbody hat, despite their cloth bands -- you might want to check those out, petes hats.

santa fe

New in Town
carldelo said:
FWIW the polypro on the Orvis looks much finer and smoother than the weave on my Riverz Delta. I like the Delta very much for my on-water hat, but it does have a plasticy feel, and looks plastic up close. When I check out the Orvis, I'll post a review. The Travelsmith is interesting looking as well, although I think a saltwater kayak trip might destroy it quick. It's hard to believe the hatband is grosgrain, it looks like nylon to go with the camlock buckle...

I would be curious to know how heavy the Orvis is when compared to the Delta. I was told that the Joe Fedora weighs 4 oz. which is quite light. Looking forward to your comments on the Orvis.

carldelo

One Too Many
Just for the record, my Joe Fedora is made by San Francisco Hat Co., sold by Noggintops - it's the same hat as the Orvis foldaway fedora.

The Delta and the Joe weigh about the same, the Joe might be a little lighter. The Delta has a more open weave and so is a bit cooler. On the downside, it is obviously not straw - it's fairly plasticy up close. The 3" brim is stiffened with a plastic wire in the brim binding, and does not snap. It is a great on-water hat, blocks the sun well and resists the wind well. The weave is flexible and the cam buckle on the nylon outer hatband really does change the size - I can tighten it up on windy days. I don't wear this hat just for walking around, esp. not in NYC.

The Joe looks very much like Milan straw - almost no one realizes it is polypro. The feel of it is almost fabricy - it is quite malleable, and stretches nearly as much as the Delta. It is not quite as cool, but almost. It is MUCH cooler than my Stetson Milan straw hat. I haven't used it for boating because the brim (which snaps) is too floppy to resist the wind - there is no plastic wire in the brim. However I used it for 2 weeks last summer on a rainy hiking vacation and it was great - it keeps the water off and never looks bad. The main problem as I see it is the attached wind cord. I am planning to take it off and may try to install it as a traditional wind trolley. It has been useful in the past, so I am reluctant to go without it entirely. Both hats have CoolMax fabric sweat bands which work very well, although they can leave creases on your forehead.

Anyway, unless you need a boating/wind-resistant hat, I think the Joe is the better choice.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot