Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Straw Types

FedOregon

I'll Lock Up
Bastardization of processes are as common as lice on stray dogs.

The term "Shantung Panama" sets me to reeling in vertigo perplexus. How a machine made, paper hat has anything remotely to do with handmade paja toquilla straw is beyond comprehension.

RJR

Hat-INDY-Peters Bros-Milan 1.jpg
This is a Peters Brothers milan weave made of hemp.The lower is a Stetson milan weave of synthetic material.
Strat Milan.jpg

FedOregon

I'll Lock Up
Baku, Parabuntal, Balibuntal... I actually have a similar tube at the post office now. Going to pick it up tomorrow morning... not sure, but your weave looks different than the weave style on mine.

True "Milan" as in the weave, is traditionally made with wheat straw.....now in differant circles "Milan" has often come to refer also to the particular straw from Italy, and not only the weave......and sometimes not the weave at all, but just the straw.
M
I have a relatively modern Dobbs "Milan" that is made from what seems to be a plasticized paper product. I love the shape of the hat but it is a far cry from a good hat.

moehawk

I'll Lock Up
Can anyone put a name to this weave. The hat came out of the Philippines prior to 1945, but not sure if it originated there.

35537540664_4ba4dc5eb1_o.jpg

35976501410_f00820f79a_o.jpg

35537543124_85fa06cdb3_o.jpg

36328448276_98476d582a_o.jpg
It looks to me to be a similar weave pattern to a Baku that Alan has posted. Not having a Baku myself, it's hard to be certain. Not sure about being a buntal, all the ones I have seen have a distinctive rectangular weave origin point pattern. Buntals do come from the Phillipines, though.
I guess that cleared up absolutely nothing. Sorry.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner