Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

StReampunk??? Proposal for vintage TV iPod docks

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
I just cooked these up recently in Photoshop. It struck me that the early experimental TV sets of the 1930s, with their small screen to cabinet size ratio, would easily scale down in design to iPod docking stations - built of wood with bakelite accents, and quality speakers for a more vintage tone.

The Empire Dock is based on a 1931 mechanical TV/radio console. It is a bookend-size piece that would be approximately 8 1/2" h x 2 1/2" w, with a single speaker.
2478632238_559f61a284.jpg

The Vassos Dock is based on a 1939 electronic TV/radio console. It is about the size of a bookshelf speaker, roughly 7" h x 4 1/2" w. There is an onboard AM-FM receiver with analog tuning dial and stereo speakers.
2477821629_557ae40a11.jpg

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
Here's the TRK-9 I cribbed it from. 9" CRT, 7" viewable, over 4' tall, weighed a $#!! ton and cost it too. The TV chassis packed enough voltage to kill a horse. Of course it was also an all-band AM/shortwave radio, and a thing of beauty and a joy forever...
rca_trk-9.jpg

Mike in Seattle

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Those are great! I was about ready to send a link to a friend who was looking for something to plug his iPod into that didn't look "modern" - there's probably a market for that type of thing, actually!

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
Hmmm...who makes beautiful little things in wood that will accommodate electronics? And how much of a job is it getting 'em in there? :eusa_doh:

Vassos is gone but I suppose his heirs would have to be approached re the use of his design.

CaddyKid21

One of the Regulars
I could probably make the empire dock, with some more pictures and the right materials. All you need is a dock and some speakers, then build the structure out of wood, add details, then get some veneer, and or stain it. Its totally possible. Get some bakelite knobs off eBay maybe. Then just adjust the treble, for that nice radio sound! Its an idea.

TheSwingingBee

One of the Regulars
I love both of these and would buy one in a heart beat as an alternative to our white modern looking docking station we have now, I'd love something more retro looking. I think there is definitely a market for these.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo