Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Stretching vintage shoes?

roselily

One of the Regulars
I found a pair I'd like to bid on, but they're a narrow (AA) and I'm thinking I'll need to stretch them slightly for comfort. I do it all the time with my street shoes since one foot is wider than the other. Is this safe/possible with vintage? (Granted, they may already be stretched from whomever wore them, I'll have to wait and see on that)

Tourbillion

Practically Family
I stretched my 40's brown suede shoes that were too narrow, and they are fine now, though just barely wide enough. I wouldn't plan on making them too much wider by stretching though.

Also check that your shoes aren't too fragile, sometimes they could split.

swinggal

One Too Many
Wet thin socks. Wear them with the leather shoes until they dry completely. This stretches the leather to your foot shape. I have used this technique on modern shoes too with success :)

Cody Pendant

One of the Regulars
Stretching leather the right way.

The proper way to stretch leather is to apply alcohol to the inside of the shoe in the area / areas you need stretched. It matters not weather you use Isopropyl or say vodka, either will do. Make sure it is well wetted and then use a shoe stretcher or as has been suggested, wear them till they dry.
Repeat as necessary.
The only caution I would mention is to try not to soak the seam too much as the welting, if glued, might soften or loosen. If so it can be reglued.

shebagrl

Familiar Face
I had a leather strap split on me because I wasn't patient enough to stretch the shoes properly. So sad. These are good stretching ideas -- never heard the one about alcohol! Going to give these techniques a go myself!

Inky

One Too Many
Definitely check the condition of your vintage shoes to make sure they'll withstand stretching. You might need to condition the leather first. There are many good leather conditioners available (I like Meltonian brand myself).

The alcohol treatment works well if I then put on some thick socks and wear the shoes around the house.

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Take them to a cobbler. Ive done it, costs like $11, and if its not stretched enough, take them back and let them fix it.

Plus it gives a shoe repair place some business :)

LD

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lindawalters