Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Stroller Coat; 3 Buttons Acceptable?

Jamesbeat

New in Town
Not really a suit, but close enough that I hope I'm posting in the right place.

I'm trying to put together a stroller on the cheap.
Single-breasted peak-lapel jackets are like hen's teeth, but I'm happy enough with notch lapels, as there is some historic precedent for this.

I've seen a black orphaned suit jacket in a thrift store that appears to be perfect, apart from the fact that it has 3 buttons.
Aside from the buttons, it is great. No vents, appears to be very well made, looks brand new (pockets are still sewn shut etc). It also fits me perfectly.

The jacket is $6.95, and the thrift store is having a 50% off sale today, so the price is certainly right :D

I was going to pick it up at full price yesterday, but the 3 button thing made me hesitate. I have no use for a black odd jacket if it can't be used as a stroller, no matter how cheap it is.

What say you guys?
Do I pass on it because it has three buttons, or did three-button strollers exist historically?

Last edited:

Fastuni

Call Me a Cab
Buy it. It is perfectly fine for a Stroller jacket to have 3 buttons.

Last edited:

Jamesbeat

New in Town
Thanks.
The jacket actually had a hole in it so I had to pass on it.
I did however get a similar one (also a three-button) that has double vents.
I also got some houndstooth trousers and a midnight blue velvet jacket.
Not a bad haul, especially as the whole lot cost under $15!

Flat Foot Floey

My Mail is Forwarded Here
3 buttons are totally fine but I guess for "golden era vintage" there would be no vents on stroller jackets. No biggie since you didn't spend to much but I would look out for a ventless jacket the next time.

I couldn't find a big thread about vents but the second answer here is a good guide. A stroller is not "sporty". Country wear (like tweed or hacking jackets) would more likely have vents

Thatg being said I recently went shopping with a friend for his wedding outfit (nothing to fancy or vintage but modern) and double vented suits were the majority. I can't say I love the look of them but they are modern. So if vintage doesn't matter to you...

PS: For future reference: Holy Grail Vintage Suit: Stroller/ Black Lounge Suit

Last edited:

Dick Ireland

Familiar Face
Follow-Up Question...

I've also been interested in piecing together a stroller.

If you go with a double-breasted jacket, which button stances are appropriate?

I was suprised to see the 6-on-1 in several old apparel arts pictures. I'd have figured that was too casual.

Would a 4-on-1 then be appropriate? There's a wonderful jacket with that stance on ebay now.

Nick D

Call Me a Cab
Would a 4-on-1 then be appropriate? There's a wonderful jacket with that stance on ebay now.

Here's one, in the lower left corner.
Easterdress_zps2f898edf.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy