Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Stupid question about gunbelts :-)

David Ward

Familiar Face
So I've decided to upgrade my Indy outfit from 'ok for halloween' to something more screen accurate, and I realised that I don't actually know how one goes about wearing a gunbelt. Presumably you don't thread it through the beltloops...and how do you size the belt to get that 'low slung' look? I must admit that part of me would love to rock the look (sans holster and pistol, of course) in 'everyday' life.

ClothesHorse

Familiar Face
'bout 6 inches bigger than your regular belt will get you in the ball park of the low slung look. Try it with some belts at the local department/discount store until you get the look and drop you want. Then buy an old police belt etc. At least 1 1/2 inches wide- Two is better and 3 is really nice (if your holster will accomodate 3), Military surplus is your friend here. When you first buckle it on it should ride just below your regular belt, after a bit of wearing - due to the gun weight-- it would begin to sag on the gun side.

Your hips will decide whether you can go with this look. Good luck.

CH

Shadowex3

New in Town
What kind of gun belt are you talking about, do you have pictures? There's as many different styles as there are regular belts even if you go for the old cowboy look.

sfend002

Familiar Face
Hmmm, so you want a gun belt or not? It seems you want a wide outer belt to be worn in some fashion?

Some research might be done on a few shooting forums. I believe ar15.com and glocktalk.com have cowboy action sections and a general search may give you more. There are some folks that are really into it.

If you are looking for fine gun leather, Milt Sparks is first class. And there are many others as well.

Naphtali

Practically Family
David Ward said:
So I've decided to upgrade my Indy outfit from 'ok for halloween' to something more screen accurate, and I realised that I don't actually know how one goes about wearing a gunbelt. Presumably you don't thread it through the beltloops...and how do you size the belt to get that 'low slung' look? I must admit that part of me would love to rock the look (sans holster and pistol, of course) in 'everyday' life.
David:

While I'm unfamiliar with "Indiana Jones Personal Model" gun belts, I own five "Border Patrol" style gun belt. All belt makers, production and custom, incorporate additional belt length within their duty belt lines. For example, Bianchi's B3 belt (now discontinued and shown below) has four inches added to its identified belt size. This added length allows transparent use over belted pant of the same belt size -- B3 size 36 will actually be 40 inches at the middle belt hole. Safariland's overage is different, as is Hume's.

Having ordered incorrect gun belt sizes, when ordering a belt now, I identify proper belt fit as follows.

Please identify the following: belt width; total length of leather with buckle affixed; length from belt hole closest to buckle to end of leather (at buckle); length from belt hole farthest from buckle to end of leather (at buckle). What is width of each billet, the sewn leather strips that hold belt together?

Hope this helps.

[And the hell with play acting.] Roy Chapman Andrews with his Colt.

up196

A-List Customer
If you are talking about a typical modern police-type gunbelt, then the answer is no.

You wear an inner belt, ususlly 1 3/4" wide, through the loops to hold up the pants. The wider gunbelt, usually 2 1/4" wide, is worn over the inner belt and is secured to the inner belt and kept in place with "keepers," which are relatively narrow straps that loop around both belts to keep them together at the waist. Usually 4 keepers are worn, one on each side to the front and two more-or-less in the kidney region in back. The ones positioned on the holster side prevent the holster from falling if the gunbelt is unbuckled for any reason.

The keepers are usually closed with two snaps. Wear the rear ones so that the end has to be pulled down to take them off; otherwise they will tend un-snap when you sit down in certain types of chairs.

Some newer designs have the inner belt and gunbelt faced and lined with velcro to keep them together. Even with these, keepers are a good idea, especially ahead of and behind the holster.

Viola

Call Me a Cab
Forgive me if I'm having a complete brain-shortout but isn't the Indy belt an olive green web belt rather than leather? What decade was which popular?

I'd be interested to know what decades had which favoured styles as far as material and width and things like conchos, smooth vs. braided leather, etc.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPR