Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

style question on custom jacket

Antony Wood

New in Town
Hello All!

I have a beautiful Lost Worlds A2, and a 3 month old Lost Worlds Suburban that is just awesome. Now I've decided to go custom for my next jacket, but am not sure weather the jacket I imagine is the ultimate in cool, or an over-done disaster. I would love some advice from the experts here! Here is what I have in mind:

-Heavy Front Quarter Horsehide body, basic design similar to the Lost Worlds B2, with the same zippered sleeve and cuff design, and the same waist belt design.

-Instead of one big patch pocket, two patch pockets with snaps instead of buttons

-epaulettes

-mutton collar, but not oversized, normal size like on the G-1

-two horizontal zipper pockets like on the Suburban

-inside map pocket

-brass Talon Zips and fittings

-Alpalca wool lining

-jacket length 25.5 inches from bottom of collar to bottom of jacket.

-black horsehide, black collar, black lining

So, is this the Darth Vader of jackets, or just too many elements thrown together? Anyone have a similar jacket?
I really have no idea about design, and its hard for me to picture, so any advice would be awesome!!!

Thanks,

Antony Wood

-

Metatron

One Too Many
In my humble opinion, you don't want too many prominent pockets on the front. I think it would be best to go either with the two patch pockets on their own (and maybe one angled chest pocket) or two zippered chest pockets and two handwarmer pockets. The reason the B2 looks cool with one pocket is that it has an asymmetrical balance thing going on which is appealing to the eye...

With four symmetrical, horizontal pockets you risk making a short bomber jacket look too boxy, which in turn will make you look top heavy. With a longer jacket (like a parka) such a combination of pockets would be more evenly distributed along the length of your body.

Obviously function takes precedence, but from a purely aesthetic point of view, I think less is more... To an extent.

Antony Wood

New in Town
Hi there,

Thank you so much for the advice. I think you're probably right regarding all the pockets, just to much. I'm thinking about going with just two patch pockets, as I really like the look and find them very useful. The look I wanted to begin with is sort of a motorcycle/military hybrid. In any case I'll take some more time to really decide.

Best Wishes, Antony

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maxraff