Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Submariner Sweater

Searching for a turtleneck sweater,I stumbled upon North Sea Clothing Co,they offer 2 colors off white and navy blue,quite a nice sweater,nicest one I have seen yet.Anyone have the pleasure of owing one??

resortes805

Call Me a Cab
I'm sorry, I just couldn't resist...

br_sweatshirt_thumbcopy.jpg

Rodger Wilco

New in Town
North Sea Clothing is expensive. You can purchase directly from the manufacturer at half the cost here: http://www.outdoorknitwear.com/store/product.php?product=68#mainimage

Shipping stateside takes 8 to 10 days (east coast). Sweater weighs in at 2lbs 2oz. for a size 46. This is not what I would call a "heavy" wool sweater (compared to Dachstien or St. James) although it is a step up from a dress sweater. Do to the plain knit (no ribbing, etc.) it can be slightly "see through" if wearing a darker color underneath. The neck has reinforcement patches on the inside seam which make pulling it over your head a little tight (I have a small head too). Sleeves will be long for the purpose of rolling the ends back. A loose fit will have the shoulder seam hanging off your shoulder an inch or two. It is well made but again not as refined or heavy as say a St. James Patrouilleur ( http://www.saintjamesboutique.com). The cuffs and hem are doubled over on the St. James, the knit is ribbed and it is 4 oz. heavier for the same size. Not available in ecru and triple the cost from Outdoorknitwear. Dachstein (http://www.bradleyalpinist.com) is an alpinist sweater and extremely heavy and in a different league...but I digress.

When ordering a "submariner" (or any sweater/coat), measure a sweater you already have that fits. Lay it on a flat surface, smooth it out with the sleeves out. Measure across the sweater from armpit edge to armpit edge. Double this measurement and this is the size you should order for a loose fit. Example, I am 6' 2", 200 lbs. and have a 43" chest. My "L" size Patrouilleur measures 23" pit to pit. Double that and you get 46" which is a "L" size at NSC or Outdoorknitwear. If you want it to fit like an UnderArmor T-shirt, just order your chest size. A size 44 Submariner would be on the tight side for me. The "Submariner" is built large/wide in the shoulder and fitted/tapered towards the waist. If you are built like Charles Atlas, you'll look fantastic in one of these...if you are built like a telephone pole...you'll still look o.k.

I'll post a side by side comparison of the above sweaters in the near future. Hopefully this will help folks stateside when ordering from overseas...sending stuff back is a PITA enough without having an ocean in between.

MikePotts

Practically Family
I happen to own a genuine British submariner's jumper. It was given to me by an old friend to whom it was given...,along with a portrait of the Queen, in 1969 while he was moored alongside HMS Auriga at Chatham Docks and got took drunk in the Ward Room.
I'm not wedded to it as it fits neither me or the donor these days - I think it's about a 38 chest, off white and rum stained. I'll post pics and true measurements tomorrow......night night,

MP

MikePotts

Practically Family
OK here are my pics. - sometimes it takes me a while :confused:

P1000973.jpg

P1000974.jpg

P1000975.jpg

P1000976.jpg

P1000977.jpg

P1000979.jpg

P1000980.jpg

The length, from where the collar joins the body of the pullover to the bottom edge is 29 1/4".

Let me know if you'd like me to send it to you for your approval,(lower 48 only of course!) you can stick $40 in a Birthday Card and mail it to me if you like the sweater......or just send it back.

MP

Last edited:

paul1889

New in Town
sweater

Mike,
I know its been a little while, but has anyone responded to your offer? I would be very interested in your sweater. Im new to the fedora lounge so I don't know if there is a better way to contact you, but let me know if you haven't sold it yet and still wish to part with it.

Let me know if you'd like me to send it to you for your approval,(lower 48 only of course!) you can stick $40 in a Birthday Card and mail it to me if you like the sweater......or just send it back.

MP

MikePotts

Practically Family
Mike,
I know its been a little while, but has anyone responded to your offer? I would be very interested in your sweater. Im new to the fedora lounge so I don't know if there is a better way to contact you, but let me know if you haven't sold it yet and still wish to part with it.

Hey Paul,
I still have it, send me a PM with your address and I'll send it on the honour system. Send me cash in a card or the sweater back.

MP

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran