Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Successful conversion

A couple of hours ago, when the postman knocked on the door, this hat

IMGP0640.jpg

was a Homburg. It had an open crown and a wrinkled ribbon and, of course, a Homburg brim. I dropped it on my head (it fit!) and said, "Nah, the Homburg look just ain't right for me." So I brushed the hat thoroughly and then cleaned the kitchen sink, filled it with cold water and soaked the brim. A clean towel went on the ironing board, the iron was set on high, and another clean towel went between the (flattened) brim and the iron. I worked the iron around the brim, top and bottom, and came out with something akin to a fedora-flanged brim. Unlike a couple of other Homburgs taking up space around here, this one's edge binding covers the same territory top and bottom, which emboldened me to give the brim reshaping a try. And I figured that if I didn't like the results, I could always send it off to a pro. I straightened the ribbon wrinkle by spraying it with water and running the flat side of a knife over it a few times.
The picture doesn't do the color justice. In actuality it's a deep, deep blue, both the body and the ribbon. Indoors, under artificial light, it looks almost black.

It's a Stetson Special

IMGP0641.jpg

which set me back 20 bucks plus postage. That's considerably more than it cost new.

IMGP0644.jpg

Any ideas as to its vintage? I'm quessing that the Special was a downmarket offering. I mean, five bucks new? That's inexpensive even by late '30s/early '40s standards, isn't it?
Still, it's a nice hat. The felt has a nice feel and the crown hasn't tapered.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ThomW