Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Such A Sellout

cufflinkmaniac

A-List Customer
Well, despite my hopes to go custom, I settled for an OTR suit. It's a navy blue with pinstripes. The fabric is 100% wool (of course) and seems to be nicer than most other OTR fabrics that I've seen, admittedly it is probably better than the fabric that I would have bought for the suit that I had planned to have made. Don't be too harsh on me for the brand and where I got it (Oscar De La Renta at S&K), but the price was within my budget, so I pulled the trigger on it. It fits well as is, but the sleeves need shortening, trousers need hemming (and maybe a little loosening in the waist :eek: ) and the breast pocket needs opening. The armholes have some sort of material that expands (elastic?), so I can move my arms around without the whole jacket moving. I'll post pictures when all is said and done. Is it perfect? No. But as I've said before, it works for a 16 year olds budget.

cufflinkmaniac

A-List Customer
Matt Deckard said:
As long as it looks good and you like it... Fit and finish can come later, but having a suit is more important sometimes than having exactly what you want.

Show us some pics.

Camera's on the firtz (again!) but I will as soon as I get it back.

ShoreRoadLady

Practically Family
cufflinkmaniac said:
The armholes have some sort of material that expands (elastic?), so I can move my arms around without the whole jacket moving. I'll post pictures when all is said and done. Is it perfect? No. But as I've said before, it works for a 16 year olds budget.

Hey, sometimes you have to take what you can get. :)

I'm interested in hearing more about this elastic. Do you mean the material itself is stretchy, which would be a Lycra (elastane) blend?

cufflinkmaniac

A-List Customer
How true. The elastic (or whatever it is) is located in the armholes, jacket fabric is 100% wool.

ShoreRoadLady said:
Hey, sometimes you have to take what you can get. :)

I'm interested in hearing more about this elastic. Do you mean the material itself is stretchy, which would be a Lycra (elastane) blend?

resortes805

Call Me a Cab
Trust me....unless you absolutely must have a suit style that is IMPOSSIBLE to get off the rack (like a belted back peak lapel with a hollywood waist), don't worry about getting a MTM suit until you are at least 20. Your measurements will change and you'll be stuck with an expensive suit that doesn't fit anymore.

Lamplight

One of the Regulars
Heck, most 16 year olds don't even own a suit, or have any desire to. My brother owns two Oscar De La Renta suits from S&K. They both fit him fairly well, though one has weird, pointy shoulders. Not sure what's going on with that.

Geesie

Practically Family
When I was 16 I would have liked a suit but I sure couldn't afford it and my parents wouldn't pay for one as long as I was still growing.

Funny thing is, I'm pretty much the same size now as I was then.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
cufflinkmaniac said:
navy blue with pinstripes.
A solid navy blue would have been a better choice; more easily repeatable and the jacket can be used as a blazer.

MisterGrey

Practically Family
I don't think there's any "selling out" involved in going OTR. It's all I've ever owned. Not everyone can afford to have their clothes made to order.

KeyGrip

A-List Customer
I agree with the sentiment that for your age, you're doing very well. I'm not much older than you and my only suits are put together from thrift store finds. Wear it with pride; you're the best dressed teenager I know!

Warbaby

One Too Many
Don't be concerned about not having a MTM suit - I'm over 60 and I've never had a MTM suit. In fact, all my suits (6) and jackets (15) are thrift ship finds that fit me perfectly with minimal tailoring (cuffs and sleeves).

cufflinkmaniac

A-List Customer
KeyGrip said:
I agree with the sentiment that for your age, you're doing very well. I'm not much older than you and my only suits are put together from thrift store finds. Wear it with pride; you're the best dressed teenager I know!

Thanks for the compliment! I have several jackets from thirft stores, but I have no luck with full suits.

Dewhurst

Practically Family
It is nice that you have a suit.

I'm about a decade older than you, and I only have one full suit.:eusa_doh:

A Nino Cerruti "Man in Wool" that I got from Macy's! [huh] Other than that I just have a bunch of dress shirts and formal and casual slacks.

I hope you enjoy the new suit, that is the most important thing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner