Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Suit fit

vitanola

I'll Lock Up
Just picked up a suit form the tailor's.

Rather nice Countess Mara form a few years ago. I have had it altered to better fit.

Am not certain that it fits just as it should, though. Too many lumps. But then there are more lumps to cover than there used to be.

What do you gentlemen think?

bob003.jpg

bob004.jpg

I think that I rather look like a sack of potatoes.

Any suggestions? I mean , other than having a new suit made out of a heavier worsted.

rmrdaddy

One Too Many
I think you look quite dignified sir.
I'd have done cuffs on the trousers personally, but that's subjective. Add a red pocket square and a dark fedora and you are set. Perhaps white and black spectators for effect as well.

I must also comment on the myriad vintage effects in the backgrounds of your photos. Looks like you have some wonderful artifacts in your home! :eusa_clap

Cheers!

Max Flash

One of the Regulars
My only real concern is the fit across the shoulders - it appears from the second photo that the shoulder of the jacket extends some way beyond your actual shoulder. This in turn is making the area on the back of the jacket by the armpit buckle and contort.

Generally, it would not be remarked upon or even noticed in everyday life. But since you asked...!

If you can get that adjusted, it might be worth looking into. However, the job is a complicated one, and so may not make sense for that reason. My advice would be to stick with the suit, but make sure you wear a longer tie, as the jacket has a deep "v". It also wouldn't hurt to flash a bit of cuff!

vitanola

I'll Lock Up
rmrdaddy said:
I think you look quite dignified sir.
I'd have done cuffs on the trousers personally, but that's subjective. Add a red pocket square and a dark fedora and you are set. Perhaps white and black spectators for effect as well.

I must also comment on the myriad vintage effects in the backgrounds of your photos. Looks like you have some wonderful artifacts in your home! :eusa_clap

Cheers!

the trousers are cuffed, but narrow cuffs. When i originally purchased the suit 1" cuffs were the fashion, and there was not sufficient material to allow for a wider cuff..

vitanola

I'll Lock Up
Max Flash said:
My only real concern is the fit across the shoulders - it appears from the second photo that the shoulder of the jacket extends some way beyond your actual shoulder. This in turn is making the area on the back of the jacket by the armpit buckle and contort.

Generally, it would not be remarked upon or even noticed in everyday life. But since you asked...!

If you can get that adjusted, it might be worth looking into. However, the job is a complicated one, and so may not make sense for that reason. My advice would be to stick with the suit, but make sure you wear a longer tie, as the jacket has a deep "v". It also wouldn't hurt to flash a bit of cuff!

My problem is that any off-the-peg suit that fits properly across the shoulders is too small in the waist and belly. I suppose that there is no solution to this problem save bespoke, MTM, or a more carefully controlled diet.

As far as the tie is concerned, it was tied short as the suit that I was actually wearing that day had high waisted trousers and a vest.

Thanks for your suggestions!

Wolfmanjack

Practically Family
vitanola said:
My problem is that any off-the-peg suit that fits properly across the shoulders is too small in the waist and belly. I suppose that there is no solution to this problem save bespoke, MTM, or a more carefully controlled diet.

I have the same problem, vitanola. The result of years spent in the Ivory Tower. But I am happy to report that yes, there is a solution; in fact, two solutions:

1. Look for an off-the-rack store (big men) that has suits in portly or executive cut. These will be suits that are tailored for the man with a waist that is just a few inches smaller than his chest, like you and I. One caveat, do not let anyone talk you into so called "suit separates," i.e., jacket and trousers sold separately. The jacket will be too tight in the waist.

2. Wear three-piece suits and let the jacket hang open, you'll find everything falls into place just beautifully. Wear the two-piece suits you already have with an odd waistcoat, very dapper. Finally, get yourself a pocket watch and chain and wear it proudly across your ample middle. With your fine moustache and beard, the look will be very Edwardian.
No need to hide result of the good life; display it proudly.

Subvet642

A-List Customer
vitanola said:

I have recently had a suit, dinner jacket and a blazer altered recently, and have much the same issue with OTR clothing. Perhaps having it taken in at the shoulder (via the center seam), and let out at the waist (ditto center seam) might help. Of course, someone like Matt Deckard would be the go-to guy for advice concerning the minutiae of the tailor’s craft. I would however, think that most tailors could handle the actual work.

Subvet642

A-List Customer
Wolfmanjack said:
2. Wear three-piece suits and let the jacket hang open, you'll find everything falls into place just beautifully. Wear the two-piece suits you already have with an odd waistcoat, very dapper. Finally, get yourself a pocket watch and chain and wear it proudly across your ample middle. With your fine moustache and beard, the look will be very Edwardian.

No need to hide result of the good life; display it proudly.

Gee, what a great idea! That suit would look fantastic with, say, a dove grey or ivory waistcoat. Ya know, I don't know why I don't think of these things. :eusa_doh:

der schneider

One of the Regulars
I dont usually push for padding but the left shoulder looks hollow, maybe a pad would help. OR you may need the shoulders reworked the picture is hard to tell for sure but maybe shortening the collar from the center seam would help the fit in the shoulder. you may be able to widen the cuff by using a french cuff. 1 1/2" would look better

It's not a bad fit many folks these days would say it looks just fine

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner