Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

SUIT HELP PLZ!!!

abduktedtemplar

New in Town
So I have a vintage dark navy 3 piece suit that i'm going to wear for my gf's graduation. I'm having some doubts about my shirt choice. here's a pic. should i change anything? be gently lol but i need some thoughts quick

DSC00487.jpg

Flat Foot Floey

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Suit and shirt looks fine. I think the tie looks to modern (could be the flash from teh camera that makes it glossy.

RP McMurphy

One of the Regulars
Personally, I say go for a nice fitted white shirt and a more spring-like tie. The tan color of the shirt doesn't look as polished as a nice plain white. Maybe check your local thrift-store for second-hand brooks brothers if you don't have a good white dress shirt? You don't need to go all out with cuff-links and such (though if you do want to go with French-cuffs, silk knots might look a bit looser... more in spring spirit?)

As for the tie, I'd look for something brighter in color, but without too crazy a pattern. A light blue or subtle paisley, a bolder striped tie... something along those lines?

I certainly hope I didn't sound rude... Dressing for these events can be a real challenge. Hope all goes well.

Oh, and just as an afterthought, don't forget the linen pocket-square! Trust me: there is a good chance someone will need it if it's an emotional event. ;)

Best of Luck!

RP

Feraud

Bartender
Wear a white shirt if you have one and you are good to go.
The tie looks like some of the 30s brocade I've seen. Good choice. Make sure you tie a nice small Four-In-Hand knot. Avoid those clunky Windsor Knots.
Have fun at the graduation.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner