Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Summer Hat Advice

Panamabob

Call Me a Cab
Shantung is paper.

Grade 8 is an arbitrary grade given to Cuenca Panama Hats. They go from Grade 2 to 20. Though, the hats above 16 that I have seen are simply bleached Montecristi finos.

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
hats in the belfry.lol
I've had fun going in there in a vintage hat (not necessarily even all that nice of one) and watching the shopkeepers (at least some of them) be amazed at how much better it is than anything they stock.:rolleyes:

Ed13

Familiar Face
I purchased two hats from PanamaBob last winter. An English Optimo for myself and a C Crown for my father. Both are around 500 wpsi. I have worn my Panama on a couple of 30 degree celsius days already this year and have not had problems with ventilation yet.

I purchased the hat for my father to wear while playing golf but he thinks it is too nice to wear. I will probably have to buy him a cheaper hat he won't worry about damaging.

As you can probably guess I will recommend PanamaBob.

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
It is best to look for Panama hats that have a crown guard to protect the top of the hat from cracking.

what exactly is a crown guard? This mention on their website is the only place I could find that this term used.

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
hm... it looks like the ones which they sell under their house name have a stiff, hard molded plastic liner. Maybe that's it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Espasoner