Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Summer Hat In Winter?

rrog

A-List Customer
I thought I'd ask this question before I hit the rack for the day. Does anyone here wear their summer hat (panama, straw, Sunbody, etc.) after summer is over? The reason I ask is because I've been weaing my two Sunbody hats all spring and summer. Since it was raining today, I broke out a fur felt Stetson. I noticed immediately that it was not nearly as comfortable as the Sunbody. I might want to wear my Sunbody after the weather turns cold and grey. What's the general consensus about wearing summer hats in winter?

rrog

johnnycanuck

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I have known a few farm boys that wear their straw hats year round. Until they unravel enought they can't wear them anymore. With that being said most of them now adults, have high end felt hats they wear year round. My advise - Do what you feel is right for you.
Johnny

Dewhurst

Practically Family
Seems pretty risque (only not sexual at all[huh]).

I sometimes wear summer caps during winter down here in the south but that does not appear to be as dramatic as a straw.

No comfortable felt hats?

HarpPlayerGene

I'll Lock Up
There are no longer any rules to which people must conform on this matter. I think it's kinda' cool for those who observe the seasonal wearing of straws vs. felts as in the past but it's their prerogative nowadays and not something the general public is really looking for any more.

Here in Florida, summer style heat and humidity begins earlier and extends later than in much of the country, so I wear straws according to the weather more than the calendar.

Then there are the rainy days we have here which necessitate felts but not my real nice ones since I don't want to sweat those up.

But by the time the temps ease near the end of the year, I'm so eager to wear my nicer felt hats that I generally park the straws for a few months until the thermometer rises again and I'm itchin' to break out the Panamas again.

:)

Goose.

Practically Family
Dewhurst said:
Whoo, all assertive and stuff! The smiley caught me off guard. I almost expected a Harrumph or an growl. :D

If it makes you happy
It can't be that bad
If it makes you happy
Then why the hell are you so sad?

"I wear what I want, when I want." Ditto. But my mom dresses me funny.
Worn Panama hats in the rain in Hawai'i and today, being summer, I wore my Federation IV Carbon. But, it never rains in California, but girl don't they warn ya...It pours, man it pours

It's just a hat. Have fun rrog ;)

My only rule of attire is that I don't wear white shoes after Labor Day. Well, for me, it's really more of a "guideline" than a rule.

Harrumph or growl...

mad-047.gif

M6Classic

One of the Regulars
If its hot I wear straw, which in Baltimore, was well into autumn. If I am going to Fenway, I wear a baseball cap, even in April and October. I let the climate and occasion direct my choice of hat.

Buzz

rrog

A-List Customer
indycop said:
I wear what I want when I want.:)

indycop, if ever a statement went with an avatar, that's it!

I was fixing to place an order for a moonstone Fed IV, but after comparing the feeling of how the two different styles of hat felt on my head, I guess I'm just wondering if I wouldn't prefer another Sunbody or two rather than a Fed IV. That's funny because I can't remember ever wearing a fur felt and thinking, "This is just too uncomfortable." But yesterday was uncomfortable. Maybe it's still just a little too hot to break out the fur felt hats.

rrog

In the South & East Tenn qualifies you, it can be warm weather all times of the year. I wear straw hats based on weather not season. I do wear unlined fur felts in summer months as well. This isn't "no white after Labor Day" type a thing around here!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eve_grace