Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Summer suits

What do you think about what I posted?

• Both off white lounge suit and warm weather dinner suit are appropriate for town wear

Votes: 20 76.9%
  • The off white lounge suit is correct for town, but the dinner suit should be black

Votes: 2 7.7%
  • The warm weather dinner suit is correct for town wear, but the off white lounge suit is not

Votes: 1 3.8%
  • Neither lounge suit nor dinner suit mentioned in option 1 are appropriate for town wear

Votes: 3 11.5%

• Total voters

avedwards

Call Me a Cab
Yes, I also noticed this disadvantage of tropical black tie. :)

I decided that the day lounge suit will be cream or light grey dependant on the location I will live (I do not think I will spend whole life in Poland ;) ). Generally the cream suit is more probable, as light grey suit would be for UK. :)

When it comes to town dinner suit, I shall choose black dinner jacket made of tropical wool, but because of the budget first I shall wear it with regular trousers (I generally do not feel too warm in any trousers, especially I will wear them at night).

Best regards, Dr

I would say light grey would be the more versatile if you plan to move as it will never look out of place anywhere in the world where it is warm enough to justify a linen suit. Cream would nevertheless be a classy option.

I would try to get proper barethea for the dinner jacket, because pure wool barethea is very standardised it will make it easier to combine trousers and a jacket which weren't made together. From experience I have found vintage barethrea suits all have virtually identical fabric regardless of the era, so you could get some vintage pieces quite cheaply if you're on a budget (there is virtually no demand for vintage dinner jackets so they can be obtained very cheaply).

avedwards

Call Me a Cab
But wouldn't black radiate heat away from you better? (again, when you aren't out in direct sunlight)

Theoretically yes, but in practice I find light colours are better as they don't absorb the heat in the first place. Even in the shade I find dark colours very uncomfortable in summer, even if made of light weight breathable materials.

dnjan

One Too Many
I find dark colours very uncomfortable in summer, even if made of light weight breathable materials.

For me it is mostly psychological - Summer is THE time to wear light-coloured jackets, so I feel uncomfortable in dark colours because I am missing an opportunity.

dnjan

One Too Many
Oh well. And here I was all ready to apply for a research grant to attend black-tie events in summer, and use an infrared camera to monitor the attendees.

Dr Kilroy

One of the Regulars
I do not want to make a new thread basically about the same thing, so:

what are other possible colours of summer town suits? I became convinced of light grey suits. ;) I have made a list of colours for my suits divided into town, out-of town, summer town and summer out-of-town colours. All of the categories consist of at least four colours apart from summer town colours.

So, do you know any proper colours for summer town suits, apart from light-grey? Two caveats:
1. It has to be quite formal: light blue, pink and similar pastel colours are out.
2. It has to be specifically for-town: whites, greens and earth tones are out.

As you see, it is not a simple question. :) I will probably be forced to wear only grey suits in summer in town. Anyway, it would be nice if you helped me.

Best regards, Dr

Edward

Bartender
I would not specify that a Summer suit has to be "formal" for town; rather, I would let the formality of the occasion dictate the formality or otherwise of the suit.

As to your second issue about town / country colours, I wouldn't worry about that, myself. I often dress in what would by some be considered country colours, but that's just one set of rules I'm happy to leave behind in the past. Otherwise, I'd virtually never get to wear brown for instance. Phoey to that! (I also personal don't believe that outside of very formal environments and certain city clubs many people even back in the Thirties much cared for that sort of 'rule').

avedwards

Call Me a Cab
I would not specify that a Summer suit has to be "formal" for town; rather, I would let the formality of the occasion dictate the formality or otherwise of the suit.

As to your second issue about town / country colours, I wouldn't worry about that, myself. I often dress in what would by some be considered country colours, but that's just one set of rules I'm happy to leave behind in the past. Otherwise, I'd virtually never get to wear brown for instance. Phoey to that! (I also personal don't believe that outside of very formal environments and certain city clubs many people even back in the Thirties much cared for that sort of 'rule').

I think Dr Kilroy meant that his preference is for a formal colour. I still don't see why white wouldn't work in a warm climate as it can be made to look formal and is perfectly appropriate for town. Otherwise I'd suggest beige or cream, or even royal blue in a light weight wool or linen.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
I like light colors for summer in the city.

MarilynMonroe5133.jpg

Dr Kilroy

One of the Regulars
All right, I will think about white, and royal blue is a new option. Thank you! However, did you mean the lighter or the darker hue of blue, according to Wikipedia?

So I will form the question in a different way - what colour suit could one wear in London in 1910s or 1920s when it was hot, besides light grey?

Royal blue is the nicest option hitherto...

Best regards, Dr

Last edited:

avedwards

Call Me a Cab
All right, I will think about white, and royal blue is a new option. Thank you! However, did you mean the lighter or the darker hue of blue, according to Wikipedia?

So I will form the question in a different way - what colour suit could one wear in London in 1910s or 1920s when it was hot, besides light grey?

Royal blue is the nicest option hitherto...

Best regards, Dr

I think the average London gentleman back then would have ignored the heat and carried on wearing their morning dress or stroller (which most London gentlemen would have worn in that era). Light grey or white suits would only have been worn for "casual" events such as picnics and garden parties. Royal blue suits would certainly have been acceptable by the 1930s though.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
islamicjankari